Come all ye nerds, need some advice

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
Alright here's the deal. I am currently working in the dietary department in a nursing home. I planned on quitting in December because I am going to a University in January to study Information Systems. I am already accepted and am waiting around to move down there. Now, today I was offered a job at the nursing home, as a Systems Administrator. They are upgrading everything to Win2k, including servers and workstations.

It would be a 5 month, salaried position. In the first month I would be setting up the network, installing servers, getting everything moved over to the new system. In the last 4 months I would be administering/troubleshooting the network. During this job, I would be working with one other gentlemen.

What would you do in my situation? Go to the University, and pass up this great chance for experience. Or, take up the job and put the University on hold until next September. Keep in mind, if I have to live for another 5 months in my fathers house, I think I am going to go AWOL.

Dragnov

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Can't you apply for part-time status at the school? Or is there still not enough time to do both?

OulOat

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
It's always nice to have some extra money for college, for all those late night snacks. Plus, if you work there, you develop connections which might come in handy after college

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
i would take the job and go to university in the fall.

then when you are done school you have some experience.

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Gr1mL0cK
Can't you apply for part-time status at the school? Or is there still not enough time to do both?

The University I would be going to is not within driving distance of my home or the nursing home.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
That's some serious experience and resume building stuff there. Very, very hard to get otherwise, and will look very good for the future. Unless they completely lowball you on the pay - like $10 an hour - and if you REALLY can't stand living with your father, then I would have a very tough time persuading you NOT to take it.

Opportunities like these don't come up often.

MajesticMoose

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
I would say take the job and put off school a semester. If Info systems is anything like an engineering major, it may be a pain to be a semester behind(from starting off in the spring) because classes are often only offered during either fall or spring, whenever most people want to take them. THat is the situation i was/somewhat still am in. It may not actually be a big enough deal to really worry about, but this experience is probably going to be more valuable to you that graduating a semester sooner.

Edit: also check with the registrar. You may be able to register for a leave of absence, whatever that means. It seems like it may apply, but i don't know what the whole deal is with it.

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by: grasshopper26
Originally posted by: Beast1284
Originally posted by: Entity
How much are they offering you for the job?

Hasn't been discussed yet.

If you don't know that, you don't know enough to make a decision.

Grasshopper

If I decide to do this job, it's not going to be because of the money.

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
Go to university. The nursing home is going to uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuussse you to no end if you stay. Wave bye-bye. Hasta la vista. Thanks, but no thanks.

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by: HappyPuppy
Go to university. The nursing home is going to uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuussse you to no end if you stay. Wave bye-bye. Hasta la vista. Thanks, but no thanks.

I kind of expect that from them. But, at the same rate, I am going to be using them just the same for the experience.

Stallion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2000
sounds like good experience to me. Maybe they can also give you the names of a few other places that might have some part time work for ya. It's always nice to have people on your side when you might be looking for a job later on.