Comcast to raise download to 3Mbps

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

happybob

Jul 30, 2001
once again, i'm sure there is someone else on this forum from nashville, tn, area who is also using comcast cable modem. can someone please confirm whether it's been upgraded to 3Mbps?

thanks!

daclayman

Golden Member
Sep 27, 2000
Originally posted by: Doug117
Heh, yeah i got this too, but dont dare use it too much or you'll get one of these, as i did: http://www.msdossys.com/comcrap.gif

TheDoug!! It's been ages! I coulda figgurd you'd get the letter from hell. So how many movies is that? 1,000... 2,000... lol

:beer::beer:

edit: just tested at 3399/247 a couple of minutes ago - woohoo!

bphantom

Oct 9, 1999
West Jordan, UT is upgraded to 3mbps (at least my area). dslreports shows me as 3218dn / 245up kbps, and a realtime transfer is pushing a solid 3.34 mbps. 41.5MB file download = 39MB 387.4KB/s 01:44 min). Still slow compared to @Home, when it would push 4.4mbps, and only paying $42.00 a month... Oh well

UTmtnbiker

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2000
Draper, UT is upgraded also. Just rebooted my modem and I'm getting anything from 2.6Mbps down/250kbps up to 3.1Mbps down/250kbps up depending on who's bandwidth meter I'm using.

Doug117

Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: daclayman
Heh, yeah i got this too, but dont dare use it too much or you'll get one of these, as i did: http://www.msdossys.com/comcrap.gif

TheDoug!! It's been ages! I coulda figgurd you'd get the letter from hell. So how many movies is that? 1,000... 2,000... lol

:beer::beer:

edit: just tested at 3399/247 a couple of minutes ago - woohoo!
Sup Daclayman - long time no see. hahah. Anyway, no, not 1000 movies. Its been a lot of BitTorrenting, which i think was the problem... Too much upload. I had this thing running 24/7 for all of December uploading at 20k/sec. THATS probably what did it. So I killed BT, and have gone real lean on d/ls... Installed BWMeter (BTW - this prog rox, since it can filter between LAN and INet traffic) So far, I'm averaging 5 gigs per week (still got to get my TV Shows)

Doug117

Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: weepul

this person most likely uncapped their modem.

//krunk (^_^x)
Yeah, thats a negative. I cant even get DOCSISDiag to run on this POS RCA DCM-100. ITs frickin ancient.

As Tiembo and Fallen Kell Said, there is some very interesting discussion on DSLReports about this. Seems they havent been getting around to this until now because of the ATTBI thing... they wanted to get everything there working smootly first then go on to it.

Now unlike most people's reports/rants you'll read about on DSLReports, I will admit to actually over-using the service. As mentioned in my previous post, I have had BitTorrent on 24/7 on my server for the entire month of December. While i dont have concrete numbers, i had to have been around 200-400GB down that month with around 50GB (20k/sec for 30 days) up. Been downloading lots and lots of games and programs, listening to streaming music, webpage work, etc, etc :)

Also as stated in my previous post, I think it mostly had to do with the uploading. I used to pull 100's of gigs per month from usenet when there were DVDRips of TV shows out that i wanted. There was never any problem then.

Real fun part is by the time u get this letter, you're already half way thru the next month (January) without knowing this letter was coming to greet you. So for this month i'm keeping it REALLY lean ;) Feb i'll start d/ling some more, not u/l anywhere near i was (sorry BT users - but i've got to become a leeching whore [btw i am trying to not d/l anything off BT unless absolutely necessary lol])

So, you normal users should have no problem, but it sounds like there becoming more of a biznatch lately. Sadly I doubt I can get DSL, and even if i could, i'm 18500ft away... 18000 is pretty much the limit for ADSL... so even if i could get it, itd' be slow as hell, which would still work, since they could care less about what i'm d/ling.

Whats the point of the speed upgrade if u cant use it? eh???

Doug117

Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Armoth
I just got my increase here in Minneapolis, MN the other night. It's pretty nice so far. Now, if I could just figure out the right frickin' SNMP community string for my linksys cable modem then I could MRTG monitor it...
If you're in a legacy-ATTBI area use "uuu9xzr5"
Otherwise "hDaFHJG7"

Sadly, DOCSISDiag wont recognize mine at all :(

weepul

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2000
www.hd-trailers.net
Originally posted by: Fallen Kell
Originally posted by: weepul

this person most likely uncapped their modem.

//krunk (^_^x)

Think again. BIG TIME. This has been going on for the last 6-7 months. Comcast has been sending out these notices to people who they deam are using too much of the service. There is a huge topic at DSLReports, http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,7970996~mode=flat?hilite=comcast+limit, which has been documenting this action. Basically Comcast is saying that you are using more then your limit, and they won't tell you what the limit is, how much over the limit you are, or how much you even used. These letters also seem to be sent only to areas in which there is no alternative broadband company (i.e. no competing cable modem service, or DSL availability), so the people getting the letters are at the mercy of Comcast and Comcast knows it, so they want to squeaze every last cent that they can out of their more active users.

i c. thank god we have tons of options here in berkeley.

//krunk (^_^x)

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Originally posted by: happybob
once again, i'm sure there is someone else on this forum from nashville, tn, area who is also using comcast cable modem. can someone please confirm whether it's been upgraded to 3Mbps?

thanks!

Not for me!!

Epsil0n00

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2001
I just tested again here in North Portland. NO CHANGE--still sitting at 1.7Mbps

However, an interesting thing did happen... When I reset the modem I picked up an old IP address from the ATTBI range. I doubt that indicates anything of any importance... but it did surprise me.

Oh well... gonna move in a week... hopefully my new neighborhood will already be at 3Mbps!

Epsil0n00

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2001
I just signed up for service at a new location and got a chance to ask about the schedule for the upgrade here in Portland. They said that they rescheduled the upgrade to take place on Feb. 5. I don't know how reputable this information is--it is just an unofficial report from a sales rep, so take it with a grain of salt. I asked her to forward me the email she got from 'higher-up' explaining when the upgrade would happen and she said she would... but I haven't seen any emails yet...

Just FYI
Epsil0n

95SS

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Epsil0n00
I just signed up for service at a new location and got a chance to ask about the schedule for the upgrade here in Portland. They said that they rescheduled the upgrade to take place on Feb. 5. I don't know how reputable this information is--it is just an unofficial report from a sales rep, so take it with a grain of salt. I asked her to forward me the email she got from 'higher-up' explaining when the upgrade would happen and she said she would... but I haven't seen any emails yet...

Just FYI
Epsil0n

It's for real!!

Upgraded today in Wilsonville! Got a message on my digital cable, but no email.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
w00t!

2004-02-06 04:56:19 EST: 3186 / 249
Your download speed : 3186685 bps, or 3186 kbps.
A 388.9 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 249003 bps, or 249 kbps.
Seems like broadband .. above the 1mbit barrier!

:D

Carapace

Dec 17, 2000
Originally posted by: 95SS
Originally posted by: Epsil0n00

Just FYI
Epsil0n

It's for real!!

Upgraded today in Wilsonville! Got a message on my digital cable, but no email.

Same here in Salem. Got a message on my HD box, but no email from Comcrap. I hardly ever remember to check those messages either.
Unplugged modem for a couple of seconds and poof, I'm downloading at 3 Mbps.

dukdukgoos

Golden Member
Dec 1, 1999
Looks like L.A. got updated...I'm in Hollywood and I'm getting 3464 / 215, nice little increase.

Netopia

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
HOLY CRAP!!!!

I was out at my Brother's this weekend, helping to get his Mother-in-law networked and un-spyware/malware/virus'ing his computer. I had heard that Comcast had done their upgrades in the area (Ellicott City, MD) so I thought that I'd do a test.

I went to the dslreports speed test things...but got pretty poor readings... about 500Kb/s down and 200kb/s up. But then I was also getting errors saying that their servers were busy. So... I thought I'd try something else.

I knew of a 14MB video file that was sitting on a very fat T3 line (45MB/s) so I thought I'd see what speed my brother had.

About 25 seconds later I knew!

WOW.... the file came down at a WHOPPING 574KB/s! That's about three and a half times the speed of a T1!... and for no additonal bucks!

Just had to post it.... I actually started giggling like a giddy little school girl when I was watching the download because it was just so incredible.

That's all.... just had to share.

Joe

'BARtMAN'

Dec 10, 1999
My cable has FINALLY been fixed!! I now get 0% packetloss even during peak, and my download speeds are hitting the 3mbit cap. I'm in hoffman estates, IL (nw suburbs of chicago incase any of you wonder wtf that is) It figures too, I'm moving out in a month and I've been living with this crap pl for 3 years now, I've had cable broadband for over 5!! :(!!!!!!