Comcast, they have some IGNORANT FVCKS working for them.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
so, i called them a couple of nights ago because i couldn't get they comcast dvr box to recognize my HDTV in 720p or 1080i modes.

the stupid fvcks at comcast couldn't even understand what i meant by 1080i.

finally after much frustration i scheduled a tech to come out and take a look at it.

the stupid POS Customer NON SERVICE rep scheduled an HDTV BOX PICKUP. i don't have an HDTV box so the stupid @ss tech took my DVR Box.

STUPID STUPID STUPID.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Just go to their local store/office and pick one up, they'll have them in stock.

You said it doesn't support 720p or 1080i and then said you don't have an HDTV box but a DVR, the DVR box is an HD box also!

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: lokiju
Just go to their local store/office and pick one up, they'll have them in stock.

You said it doesn't support 720p or 1080i and then said you don't have an HDTV box but a DVR, the DVR box is an HD box also!

why should i take time out of my day to do that? they fvcked up, they will fix it.

besides, i want back the box they took. it had tv programs recorded on there i hadn't watched yet.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
i couldn't get they comcast dvr box to recognize my HDTV in 720p or 1080i modes.

i don't have an HDTV box so the stupid @ss tech took my DVR Box.

:confused:

You don't have an HDTV box? How do you expect it to output 720p or 1080i then? You need their HD DVR box in order for that to work.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold
why should i take time out of my day to do that? they fvcked up, they will fix it.

besides, i want back the box they took. it had tv programs recorded on there i hadn't watched yet.

You're much better off visiting the local office on your schedule than waiting for some tech to show up during an ambiguous 6 hour window.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: MrChad
i couldn't get they comcast dvr box to recognize my HDTV in 720p or 1080i modes.

You don't have an HDTV box? How do you expect it to output 720p or 1080i then? You need their HD DVR box in order for that to work.

well he can have one of the cards.

but i didnt think none-HD DVR's could record in HD

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000

all comcast DVR boxes are HDTV capable. it has component out and everything.

BTW, for those that don't know, comcast is now charging an extra $5.00 / month for HDTV service.

at least that's what the customer service rep was trying to tell me last night.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001

Are you certain about that? Just because it has component out does not mean it's HD-capable.

Not saying you're wrong, but usually there are separate HD and non-HD models for DVR boxes.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000

Are you certain about that? Just because it has component out does not mean it's HD-capable.

Not saying you're wrong, but usually there are separate HD and non-HD models for DVR boxes.

that's what the customer service rep told me.

besides, i think it WAS displaying in 1080i. i watched the mets game last night in HDTV.

the only thing i couldn't figure was, some of the hbo movies on the hbo hdtv station would display with black bars on the top and bottom.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
I give your rant a 10/10 for raw emotion and angst. Extra points because it's Comcast, who are utterly useless.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
that's what the customer service rep told me.

besides, i think it WAS displaying in 1080i. i watched the mets game last night in HDTV.

the only thing i couldn't figure was, some of the hbo movies on the hbo hdtv station would display with black bars on the top and bottom.

HD does not necessarily mean no black bars. Some movies' original aspect ratios (OARs) have a wider scope than standard HD (16:9) dimensions.

That said, HBO HD tends to crop widescreen films down to 16:9, so it's a little odd that you would see black bars on that channel.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Do you remember what the make and model number of your DVR box was?

nope, sorry.

i have the remote that came with it tho, they forgot to take that.

the stupid fvcks.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001

nope, sorry.

the stupid fvcks.

Based on your other thread, I'm confused as to what you're actually seeing. You will never see HD channels via the standard coax cable (with no digital box). You will only see HD if you have a digital HD-capable box sending a HD signal via component, DVI or HDMI cable, or if you have an antenna picking up over-the-air HD signals and an HDTV with a built-in tuner.

It looks like Comcast uses both Motorola and Scientific Atlantic DVR boxes. The Motorola box comes in one flavor that supports both HD and non-HD, while the SA has an 8000 (non-HD) and an 8000 HD model.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000

nope, sorry.

the stupid fvcks.

Based on your other thread, I'm confused as to what you're actually seeing. You will never see HD channels via the standard coax cable (with no digital box). You will only see HD if you have a digital HD-capable box sending a HD signal via component, DVI or HDMI cable, or if you have an antenna picking up over-the-air HD signals and an HDTV with a built-in tuner.

It looks like Comcast uses both Motorola and Scientific Atlantic DVR boxes. The Motorola box comes in one flavor that supports both HD and non-HD, while the SA has an 8000 (non-HD) and an 8000 HD model.

i was connected to my digital box using Component AND using the coax out.

the coax out seemed to only give me a 16:9 option so anything that wasn't 16:9 gave me bars either accross the top and bottom or left and right.

the Component output allows me to choose, 480i, 480p, 720p or 1080i.

when i would switch to the 720p or 1080i my screen would go blue.

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
You have to set the HD DVR box to 1080i (or whatever your TV is capable of). You have to turn off the cable box, hit the menu button, and then set it to 1080i via the diagnostic menu.

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
Does anyone else find it ironic that the OP is talking about Comcast employing "Ignorant Fvcks" yet in the thread, he comes across as not knowing much about how to use the box he had, whether it was HD or not, whether it was a stand-alone DVR, and ultimately, the box was taken back to Comcast and now he doesn't have the box at all?

I mean...umm...:confused:

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: altonb1
Does anyone else find it ironic that the OP is talking about Comcast employing "Ignorant Fvcks" yet in the thread, he comes across as not knowing much about how to use the box he had, whether it was HD or not, whether it was a stand-alone DVR, and ultimately, the box was taken back to Comcast and now he doesn't have the box at all?

I mean...umm...:confused:

There's a reason why customers always rant about stupid service people, and service people always rant about stupid customers.

There are a LOT of stupid people in the world, and it figures that every so often they find each other.