Comcast reduced spending after tax cuts, contrary to FCC predictions

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Two things will prompt telecoms to invest in their networks: 1) competition or 2) government regulation. Ajit Pai has decided to have neither and that telecoms will invest in their networks out of the goodness of their hearts. I bet that works out great.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
We were promised a huge wave of business investment unlike any the country has seen in exchange for regulatory rollbacks and tax cuts. What a total surprise that the thing most people said would happen actually did, companies would simply pocket the upside and compete less. Republicans, especially the corporate lobbyists the government is loaded with now, should not be trusted on these things.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
notsurprisedkirk.jpg

Well don’t worry. If repealing net neutrality didn’t spur telecom investment I’m sure the tax cuts will any day now.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
We were promised a huge wave of business investment unlike any the country has seen in exchange for regulatory rollbacks and tax cuts. What a total surprise that the thing most people said would happen actually did, companies would simply pocket the upside and compete less. Republicans, especially the corporate lobbyists the government is loaded with now, should not be trusted on these things.

While it was obvious that Pai was lying it’s also confusing as to why anyone would believe him. Most telecoms face little to no competition in their service areas, therefore what is their incentive to upgrade their service other than to stay on the good side of regulators? Like what is even the theory of action there?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
While it was obvious that Pai was lying it’s also confusing as to why anyone would believe him. Most telecoms face little to no competition in their service areas, therefore what is their incentive to upgrade their service other than to stay on the good side of regulators? Like what is even the theory of action there?

The actual theory of action is to lie and let the companies grab whatever they can until this administration is over.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
After 3 years of promises AT&T finally put Fiber in our neighborhood so I'll finally have more than one ISP to chose from...

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
So are Republicans and lobbyists liars incompetent or both?

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
They are banking cash in case of an economic downturn as they will be able to keep everyone employed without having to resort to layoffs to maintain profits. Obviously an employee-centric company as they realize the value of their employees retention.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i'm sure those in charge will review this new information and reconsider their positions regarding how best to get the telecoms to work for the citizenry.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
And still made record profits and still got tax cuts and still laid off employees.
well to be honest those were mostly on the landline side of the business(I am one of those who still has a job for now, not excusing them but it is what it is, they just don't want to maintain it since it doesn't sell anymore) it's basically union busting.