comcast cable internet and linksys router

stevty2889

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2003
I just got comcast cable internet today, using a motorola SB5120 cable modem and a BEFW11s4 linksys wireless router. I can't get an internet connection using the router. I have IP address set to obtain automaticly, the same as if the cable modem would be connected directly to the computer. It works fine connected directly to the computer, but when connected to the WAN port on the router, it doesn't get an IP address, and I can't get an internet connection. I am able to see the other computers on the network, but none can get an internet connection. I had no problems using the wireless router with Verizon DSL. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

stash

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2000
The modem gets "tied" to the MAC address it was configured on. So this is the MAC of your computer, which is why it works when plugged directly into the computer.

There are two possibilities. Your router may have a MAC clone function, where it will copy the MAC of your computer, so that the WAN port will have that same MAC. The second thing you can do is plug the modem into the router, then unplug the cable modem power for about minute. Plug it back in, then do a release/renew from the router software, and you should be good to go.

stevty2889

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2003
I already set up the MAC clone, and it didn't seem to help. I have tried re-setting both the router and modem countless times, and the IP release and renew. When I first plugged the modem in to the router, it gave me an IP, but after that, it hasn't given an IP. I'll try again, mabye I'll have better luck this time. Thanks for the suggestion.

stevty2889

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2003
Figured it out, when I first connected it to the computer, I used the USB port, because my NIC drivers weren't installed, and I used that MAC address instead of the one for the Ethernet. Changed it to the MAC address for the ethernet, and it works now.