Comcast blocking Mac Addresses?

unpossible

Jan 18, 2005
Short version: Does Comcast block Mac Addresses?

Long version: Yesterday, I thought my Comcast High Speed Internet connection went down. I thought at first it was Comcast having issues, but I first tried to rule out a problem on my end. I connected the cable modem directly to my computer (normally, the modem goes straight to a Linksys router), but still no connection. After calling tech support, as a last resort, she suggested I try plugging the modem in directly to another computer. I did, and much to my surprise it worked. She said most likely my router and/or first computer's NIC was bad. It wasn't very plausible to me, but I had no other explanation. I even switched back to the router, just to tell myself that it wasn't Comcast that was glitching and was just all of the sudden working, but I still could not get an internet connection.

Several minutes later, I had a sudden realization. There was something that my router and my NIC had in common. I had the router spoof that NIC's Mac Address. So when I switched the router's spoofing to the second computer's MAC addy, voila, everything was working again.

So again, the only possible explanation I have is that Comcast blocked the original MAC address I was using. So my question is, have Comcast been known to do that, and if so, why?

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Yes, ISPs can and do block MAC addresses if they think there is a legitimate reason to do so.

What have you been doing recently that is illegal or violates Comcast's terms of service? ;)

w0ss

Sep 4, 2003
I haven't had comcast in probaly three years. But I do remember they did block my mac address at least twice. They always gave me no reason as to why, and unblocked it as soon as I called. I figured it out the same way as you. The easy way to fix it is just change your mac.

fleabag

Banned
Oct 1, 2007
If they block your router, you can always "clone" a mac address from a working NIC onto the router to make it work.

TC10284

Nov 1, 2005
Originally posted by: fleabag
If they block your router, you can always "clone" a mac address from a working NIC onto the router to make it work.

Or make one up. But I don't know if that's the legitimate way or not...