Combining power supply wiring

thetuna

Nov 14, 2010
I'm trying to clean up my build and I am planning on making some custom power supply wiring to make it just the right length.

My question is, is there any reason not to combine the wiring?

For example...
Wikipedia tells me that on the 24-pin ATX connector, pins 3,5,7,15,17,18,19,24 are all GROUND, while pins 4,6,21,22,23 are all +5v, etc.

So would there be any problem combining each set of common wires into one?
(obvious using higher gauge wiring)

Thanks for any input.

Ayah

Platinum Member
Jan 1, 2006
so as an example, the corsair RMi1000 uses 16awg for it's 24-pin connector.
5 of those for 5v will give you 9awg
8 of them for ground will give you 7awg

the primary reason to use smaller awg cabling is for flexibility to attain smaller bend radii.
there is no electrical issue to using a single thicker gauge cable.

you're going to run into a huge issue trying to bend them though, if you attempt too tight of a bend radius, you will put serious strain on the connectors.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
You can combine them into one, but then have to turn each one back into several at the motherboard because the motherboard connector pins are only rated for something like 5A or 6A each so you need multiple connector pins to support enough current.

The wire was never the limitation compared to the connectors. Typical (fair or better) quality PSU use 16ga. wires (though 20 ga or higher for floppy) which are good for around 20A each, or even being very conservative it's fair to say they can handle double the current the connector pins can.