• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question Combining a particulate filter and a fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

dazednotconfused

Jul 18, 2020
I'm hoping someone here can help me with this fan and air flow question even though it's not about computer cooling.

I'm trying to pull filtered air through a small chamber as part of a lab experiment and getting unexpected behavior.

The chamber is a tube, 12" long and 4" inside diameter. On one end is a particulate filter and on the other end is a 60mm fan. The desired effect is that the fan would pull the air through the filter, across the chamber, and out on the fan side.

Instead, it doesn't seem to be pulling any air through the filter and the exhaust side of the fan seems to be both pulling air both in and out at the same time.

I've tried at 13.8 CFM fan and an a 17.2 CFM fan and neither is pulling air through the filter.

The filter is cannibalized from a face mask, so I wouldn't think it would be much resistance.

What am I doing wrong? Any help is appreciated.

As you said, this is not a question about computer cooling.

Your first thread was moved (and you were notified). Please do not create another thread on this subject. Your first thread
has been restored to the original question, so please use it.
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/combining-particulate-filter-with-a-fan.2583142/#post-40228411

AT Mod Usandthem

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS