Comanche 4 and WinXP

SkyDiver

Aug 3, 2000
Hi All,
I installed WinXP and all of my games work just fine....EXCEPT for Comanche 4. I have tried re-installing Comanche, I have the latest patch, I'm using the latest drivers for my Via chipset, etc. It didn't work with my GeForce 2 GTS and it doesn't work with my Radeon 9700 Pro either.

Has anyone else had a problem? I'm using a KT7-Raid which is a little outdated, I know, but it worked flawlessly under Win98SE with the same configuration.

Thanks,
SkyDiver

Easygoing

Dec 9, 1999
Hey sky, I am also having a problem with this game. You didn't state what yours is doing. On my system the game will actually start and then stop and go back to windows. I can actually fly the choper for several seconds before I have a problem. Is that what yours is doing? I have a AMD with a geforce3. I have the latest drivers and patches. I am also having a problem with ghost recon. All other games are fine. I hope we can solve this!!!!

SkyDiver

Aug 3, 2000
Hey Easy,
Thanks for the reply. With my GF2, it would give me a warning that it was going to crash (and asked to send error info to MS). Then it would go into the game. A few times, it would let me into the game, but I would have something like 16 colors. It was really bad. Then it would crash.

It won't go into the game at all, now. By the way, I asked Novalogic for help. They replied that Via chipsets were very finicky and that I should disable any Anti-Virus software, TSRs, etc. They also said to update the motherboard and graphics card drivers--all the usual stuff.

None of it worked. Also, I tried searching the web. You are the only other one I've found so far who has this problem.

I haven't played Ghost Recon, but Serious Sam 2, Max Payne, Delta Force LW, Half-Life, Battlefield '42 and others all work fine.

Hopefully we can find an answer. I love blowing things up with the Comanche!

-- SkyDiver

Easygoing

Dec 9, 1999
Sky,

Thanks, let me know if you solve the problem and I will do the same. Hopefully someone else will also give us some ideas. I love this game and I want to play it soon. By the way, what sound card are you using? I have the SB live 1.5. I am wondering if that might be the problem. I think I will try removing it and using the built in sound from the motherboard and see what that does. Easy.

SkyDiver

Aug 3, 2000
Easy,
I did have a SB Live!, but recently moved to an Audigy OEM. Don't remember if I tried to run C4 with the Live! or not.

If I had to bet, I'd say MB chipset or graphics.

SkyDiver

Easygoing

Dec 9, 1999
Hey Sky, Just wanted to let you know that I got Comanche working now. I had the IWILL motherboard which uses the VIA chipset. I did some reading in other Forums and notice that many people were having similar issues with that board and Gforce cards. I swapped out the motherboard an ECS one and it resolved all my problems. I am using the original Gforce3 video card. I hope this helps you. Easy.

Easygoing

Dec 9, 1999
Yes, I made sure that it didn't use the VIA chipset. The VIA chipset is the problem with the Gforce cards. Even with the latest drivers.