Columbus Blue Jackets

MisterCornell

Banned
Dec 30, 2004
I've been in Columbus since August. To this day, I have not seen 1 person wearing Columbus Blue Jackets (an NHL team) gear. No shirts. No hats. No jackets.... I actually had to go to their website to see what Blue Jackets gear looks like, just to make sure that I hadn't missed it somewhere.

Now of course, the NHL is not playing this year, and that hurts. But that said, I see people wearing Detroit Red Wings gear here in Columbus on an almost daily basis.

I guess it sucks for the Blue Jackets.

Is this typical of other expansion teams?

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
What? I live in Columbus too and I see the Blue Jackets gear everywhere! But yeah, wince there is not hockey this year, no one really cares about wearing it. Hard to cheer on your team when there is no team...

RaynorWolfcastle

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
No offense to either of you but I can't see the NHL building a solid fan base in Columbus. I don't know why they even expanded there, Ohio isn't exactly hockey country.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
where are the fans??

Where is the FREAKING HOCKEY????????????

I can never get tickets to the games I want to make it worth the 2 hour drive there.

MisterCornell

Banned
Dec 30, 2004
Wha? :confused: Maybe teenage boys don't masterbate to old footage of Wayne Gretzky like they do North of the border, but Ohio is a cold weather area and hockey is pretty big here. Columbus has 1.6 million people and no (real) professional sports teams. Although Toledo is solid Red Wings country, there's a good chance the Blue Jackets can expand their fanbase in nearby Akron, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Dayton areas.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
NHL hockey is gone until they fix the freakin revenue stream. It's a business. Damned players are simply about "ME".

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: MisterCornell
I've been in Columbus since August. To this day, I have not seen 1 person wearing Columbus Blue Jackets (an NHL team) gear. No shirts. No hats. No jackets.... I actually had to go to their website to see what Blue Jackets gear looks like, just to make sure that I hadn't missed it somewhere.

Now of course, the NHL is not playing this year, and that hurts. But that said, I see people wearing Detroit Red Wings gear here in Columbus on an almost daily basis.

I guess it sucks for the Blue Jackets.

Is this typical of other expansion teams?

Where in Columbus do you see people wearing Red Wings gear ? At the bus station ?

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
At OSU. Tuttle Crossing mall. Various other places around town.

I've been to Tuttle mall several times in the past month and haven't noticed anything except cleavage and bare bellys.

RaynorWolfcastle

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Wha? :confused: Maybe teenage boys don't masterbate to old footage of Wayne Gretzky like they do North of the border, but Ohio is a cold weather area and hockey is pretty big here. Columbus has 1.6 million people and no (real) professional sports teams. Although Toledo is solid Red Wings country, there's a good chance the Blue Jackets can expand their fanbase in nearby Akron, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Dayton areas.

A) It's spelled "masturbate"
B) Don't get your panties in a twist, it was my personal opinion.
C) I hope you're right and that they do develop a solid team with a fan base , I just don't see it happening.

MisterCornell

Banned
Dec 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Tom
At OSU. Tuttle Crossing mall. Various other places around town.

I've been to Tuttle mall several times in the past month and haven't noticed anything except cleavage and bare bellys.

Well, you've been so busy checking out the trampy 14 year old girls that you haven't noticed the hats people are wearing. :laugh:

D

Deleted member 139972

BJ's arnt' even up to play this year, but I have some stuff for them. I just don't wear it ever cuz I don't have the $$ to even see the games. Oh well..

Nick5324

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2001
I would also say it's b/c there is no season. Last year at this time, i saw a good amount of blue jackets merchandise. As for a fan base, I've been to about 6 games, and at each game the stands were about 90%-95% full (1 was a sellout). I was never into hockey before, but after going to my first blue jackets game a few years ago, my interest grew. There are probably many people in Columbus who are also just discovering an interest in hockey. Combine this with the excitment of Rick Nash, I'd say the fan base is growing. However, the lockout really hurts the jackets, as it lets people forget about hockey just as they were starting to like it. Hopefully hockey will be back next season, and you will get to enjoy the BlueJackets. Welcome to Columbus, MisterCornell.