colorado vehicle registration is out of control.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
It's the same in GA. I pay about $800 a year for my cars since it's older. I was paying over $1200 a year couple years back. But my cousin pays over $4,000 a year on just two cars. He has 6 cars. His annual car tag registration bill is well over $5,000.

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
It's the same in GA. I pay about $800 a year for my cars since it's older. I was paying over $1200 a year couple years back. But my cousin pays over $4,000 a year on just two cars. He has 6 cars. His annual car tag registration bill is well over $5,000.

Heh - it had been so long since I'd paid a registration fee (my wife always takes care of it through the mail) that I didn't know how much it would cost for my "new" '98 Accord. I took $200 to the tag office and was pleasantly surprised when it was something like $35.

But I've seen you post about your cousin's cars - they're worth just a bit more than my 13 year old Accord.

Numenorean

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2008

No fucking way. Guess I'll never live in GA. You can BUY a fucking car for $5000.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
IL tag fees aren't bad. under $100.

Even then you can get it cheaper if you are old, disabaled and something else.

now some areas you have to "register" the car with the city/HOA etc and it can get expensive. Parking itself in some places cost more then the damn car (and thank you idiots in chicago for selling the rights to a business that fucked it up!)

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
Some states add in "personal property tax" on top of the registration fees, when I lived in Ks it cost me over $200 a year for my 10yr old truck plus over $300 for my boat...loving Tx since it's only $75 a year for my brand new Tundra and $50 every 4 yrs for my boat, hell we don't even pay sales tax on food

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
OutHouse, don't know if you've ever talked to anyone from California, but theirs is pretty atrocious too.
When I lived there, in the 80's, it was something like 4% of the vehicle's value. For a $20,000 car, you paid $800 to register it. Next year, if the blue book value dropped to $16,000, you paid $640 to register it, and so on, and so on.

Doesn't sound like much now, but back then that was some real change to spend! I'm only thankful that the new car I bought when I was there was when I was in the military, and a non-resident. They waived the normal fee for military, and made it a straight up $30/year. :thumbsup:

May 13, 2009
Texas ftw. I think it's like 70ish a year on each car I own. Newer model cars. We also don't have state tax and our state continues to have a good (compared to the rest of the U.S.) economy. I guess that's pretty good for a bunch of inbred hillbillies. You guys are taxed to shit where you can't even own anything and still are up to your ears in debt.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Dude, STFU if you don't know what you're talking about.

I have $1,100 canceled check receipt for 2005 Hyundai I paid for Tag.

so please explain where he is wrong. He even provided a link. What evidence did you provide to back up your incorrect claims?

mcvickj

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2001
SHHHHHHHH!!! stfu about how much money your states are raking in by taxing the shit out of vehicles. NY hasn't figured that one out yet.

Same with Michigan. I bitch every year that it costs me $100 to register my 03 Impala for the year. After reading some of the responses in this thread I'm thankful that is all I'm paying.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Dude, STFU if you don't know what you're talking about.

I have $1,100 canceled check receipt for 2005 Hyundai I paid for Tag.

I have been paying for car registration in New Jersey for over 10 years. You have a history of making shit up on the Internet. I think I have more credibility than you do.

I'm sure you can show me that you paid the state $1100 for something related to your 2005 Hyundai, but I'm certain that you can't show me that you paid the state a similar amount two years in a row for the same car. That's because you paid $1100 sales tax.

And before you claim that you had bought the car in another state and had to pay tax again just because you moved to NJ:

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/NewResidentTransferring.htm
Fill out the sales tax stamp; tax will not be charged if you are eligible for sales tax Exemption #7

Exemption #7 – Vehicle was purchased in another state while the purchaser was a non-resident of New Jersey

If you want to prove anything here, why don't you just show us all on NJ's MVC website where it describes this $1100 registration fee you paid? I'm guessing that when you moved to NJ you didn't realize that you didn't have to pay sales tax if you were just transferring your title from out of state.

Last edited:

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
So, I'm still mystified how you spent $1100 for vehicle registration, unless you're not telling the whole story (typical) and conveniently forgot to include the sales tax you were paying because you bought the car out of state and the DMV made you pay in-state sales tax on the vehicle......hmmmmm?

Of course out of state. Have lived in 5 different states in 4 years. Each state gets their cut as if buying the car new every time.

Could have had the car paid off years ago if it wasn't for the thousands in Registration fees.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Of course out of state. Have lived in 5 different states in 4 years. Each state gets their cut as if buying the car new every time.

Could have had the car paid off years ago if it wasn't for the thousands in Registration fees.

ummm what? how can this be?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

ummm what? how can this be?

He's a dirty liar (or an idiot for paying a tax he didn't owe). I already posted the link to the NJ MVC website where it says that if you bought the car out of state while you were not a resident of New Jersey, you do not have to pay sales tax. You have to pay a $60 fee to transfer the title, and you have to pay the regular registration fee (less than $100).

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
OutHouse, don't know if you've ever talked to anyone from California, but theirs is pretty atrocious too.
When I lived there, in the 80's, it was something like 4% of the vehicle's value. For a $20,000 car, you paid $800 to register it. Next year, if the blue book value dropped to $16,000, you paid $640 to register it, and so on, and so on.

Doesn't sound like much now, but back then that was some real change to spend! I'm only thankful that the new car I bought when I was there was when I was in the military, and a non-resident. They waived the normal fee for military, and made it a straight up $30/year. :thumbsup:

It's not like that any more. I paid $352 for my Infiniti G37 2008 this year. It's worth a lot more than $20,000.

EMPshockwave82

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2003
I get personalized plates for the fun. I live in IL and it's $156 a year for my car and $56 a year for my motorcycle.

NE was a little different. It used a percentage of your car's value and charged you for that. They wanted 250 dollars or something like that for my 1998 Nissan Altima before I moved back to Illinois (and that was in 2008).

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
3 years ago my 95 Geo Prizm was under $30, now it's over $70.

Problem with this state is ever since TABOR passed all the gov does these days is calls everything a "fee" instead so they don't have to pass any of this shit, you just get higher "fees" *cough taxes* every year and I see nothing improved in this state, can't wait to blaze out.

Even with them charging by weight & price of vehicle and gas prices going up I swear CO is still 75% SUV's and trucks on the road so it must not be bad or everyone is just ballin'.

Last edited:

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009

Really depends on where in GA you live. Out our way (SE GA about an hour NW of Savannah), our 2002 Blazer had a vehicle registration "fee" of just over $90 last year.....$25 for standard tag fee, $35 for the Bobwhite tag, and $30.65 for ad valorem tax.

Live in/around Atlanta, and the county ad valorem rates go up....way up....which is why you pay so much. The state's tag fees are fixed, the county's tax isn't.

Last edited:

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
There's such thing as bicycle registration in certain states. Do you dismiss complaints regarding that as quickly?

Care to post a list of those states?

Most registration would be by city. I do not think that any actual states have mandatory registration.

Those that I know of off hand

Honolulu
Denver
Arlington
Madison

Many colleges also require registration of bikes on campus