Colorado University Accused of Using "Sex Parties" to Recruit Football Players

SweetSweetLeroyBrown

Oct 16, 2003
DENVER, Colorado (AP) -- Prospective University of Colorado football players were recruited with sex parties where women say they were raped, and school officials have resisted demands to stop the practice, according to depositions of a prosecutor and a police officer.

Full Story

If true, pretty disgusting in my opinion.

McCarthy

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I heard about that last night on the radio. Thing that struck me at the time was that it sounded like the DA was asking the football coach to be nice, but nothing was mentioned about filing charges against the (alleged) rapists. Thought maybe the host...it was just a sports show after all...might be summarizing badly, but this reads too much the same.

"Keenan said she was told by a former CU athletic department official that athletic director Dick Tharp and head football coach Gary Barnett decided against any changes. "

"Prosecutors filed no sexual assault charges after the party because they said they did not think they could be proved. Four players were charged with providing marijuana and alcohol to minors. "

Maybe Boulder County District Attorney Mary Keenan is a fine lawyer, but so far it sure doesn't sound like she or her office pushed very hard at all. The public should question their inaction as much as the university's, which is not to say they should question CU's atheletic program any less.