Colorado SC just disqualified Trump from the ballot using the Fourteenth Amendment Section 3 of the Constitution

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
This case will be appealed to the USSC at warp. Question: Republicans on this court claim to be originalists. I'm included that section below. The framers created this to stop the very thing Trump did. Is there any way originalists could overrule Colorado's SC and still claim originalism? COSC rules Trump is an officer and incited an insurrection. Text below seems pretty clear to me.

Section 3. No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may, by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
I think the Republican party is now the MAGA party so they'll shoot it down, but honestly this is the best opportunity for their donor class to get rid of MAGA.

However at every turn, they go deeper and deeper down the MAGA rabbit hole!

And for FFS, can we honestly have just ONE OFFICIAL TRUMP RE-ELECTION THREAD? Can't deal with 3 new threads every day!

Young Grasshopper

Nov 9, 2007
Amazing how the MAGA crowd attempted an ‘insurrection’ and left their guns at home. Someone remind me again how it’s possible to overthrow a government without weapons? It was a protest that turned into a riot. Nothing more.

All this talk about ‘defending democracy’ by Democrats, all while using the legal system to go after their top political rival and keep him off the ballots.

We’re living in amazing times.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Amazing how the MAGA crowd attempted an ‘insurrection’ and left their guns at home. Someone remind me again how it’s possible to overthrow a government without weapons? It was a protest that turned into a riot. Nothing more.

All this talk about ‘defending democracy’ by Democrats, all while using the legal system to go after their top political rival and keep him off the ballots.

There were weapons in DC including pipe bombs. Remember during the Jan 6 hearing Trump wanted the magnetometers taken down when it was known some were armed.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000

I'm sure the GOP appreciates your attempt to whitewash January 6th.

An insurrection requires neither guns nor a successful overthrow of the government. It's a revolt against civil authority or established government.

You are correct we're living in amazing times. Conservatives have lost their fucking minds and continue to support a narcissistic, lying con man.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

Your true colors are emblazoned in this response. You are not just a wrongheaded little boy stunting and jiving for Putin in Ukraine.

Imho, you are a troll, pure and simple. I sure hope the Russians aren't paying you, because they sure as hell aren't getting their rubles worth.

For us, you are no more than a useful idiot. Target practice.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Your true colors are emblazoned in this response. You are not just a wrongheaded little boy stunting and jiving for Putin in Ukraine.

Imho, you are a troll, pure and simple. I sure hope the Russians aren't paying you, because they sure as hell aren't getting their rubles worth.

For us, you are no more than a useful idiot. Target practice.
Be prepared for a big pro Trump push from the Russian troll farms, it's pretty much Putins biggest hope in Ukraine that Trump gets another term.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

If he is found not guilty it will strengthen his position. You are suggesting no crimes were committed did you see all those classified documents at Mar a Lago? Did you hear the GA phone call? Did you see the fake electors scheme

Others are right. You are trying to whitewash Jan 6 from history.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Why won’t you be Putins bullet sponge?

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
Section 3. No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may, by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.
Inb4 Trump claims that he didn't previously take an oath to support the Constitution so therefore Section 3 doesn't apply to him.

Oh wait.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
This case will be appealed to the USSC at warp. Question: Republicans on this court claim to be originalists. I'm included that section below. The framers created this to stop the very thing Trump did. Is there any way originalists could overrule Colorado's SC and still claim originalism? COSC rules Trump is an officer and incited an insurrection. Text below seems pretty clear to me.

By "originialist" they mean the original Constitution before the Reconstruction amendments (13, 14, 15).
Conservatives absolutely positively hate every word in the 14th, because it guarantees freedom and equality to all Americans, and blocks state govts from infringing on civil rights, so this should be interesting.
Ironically, overturning the decision would require SCOTUS, which is federal, to overturn a state's Constitutional power to control its own elections.
Meanwhile, MAGAs are threatening violence and taking up arms all over the internet.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Lol... they totally brought guns. Along with other weapons.
And those same MAGAs whose "protest turned into a riot" openly want to the govt to throw "leftists" out of helicopters (because they consider any speech they even mildly disagree with to be rank treason), and can't wait for Trump to be re-elected so he can do just that.

So yes, it is an amazing times we live in that shitheads like you tell baldfaced lies as though no one knows any better.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Just let the voters decide. Not even Jack Smith brought up insurrection charges. Or let the court cases do their thing.

This seems like an unnecessary escalation to an already tense situation. And a toothless one that will get overturned. Why give them more ammo (no pun intended).
Are you saying it's not true that Trump organized an attempted coup in order to remain in power after he lost the election?
Or that we should ignore such criminal activity in order to avoid offending the criminals?

The tweet you added to your post is inaccurate. There is no right to be allowed on a state ballot, and the court's decision does not affect Trump's life or liberty, so presumption of innocence does not apply.
Why is it that right-wing nutjobs know literally nothing about the Constitution they claim to love so dearly?

Last edited:

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
Are you saying it's not true that Trump organized an attempted coup in order to remain in power after he lost the election?
Or that we should ignore such criminal activity in order to avoid offending the criminals?

I don't know what the legal standard for this is? Does it require a conviction in a court of law? Or is a state supreme court allowed to just make this call?

Even the all Democrat CO supreme court was split 4-3.

Besides it's Colorado, what are they afraid of, Biden wins easy there.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
The worst part of all this circus is the CERTAIN knowledge that, if the tables were turned and it had been Biden and the Dems who had attempted such a coup, that the perpetrators would already have been hung en masse from the Capitol steps.

• Love
Reactions: Pohemi

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I don't know what the legal standard for this is? Does it require a conviction in a court of law? Or is a state supreme court allowed to just make this call?

Even the all Democrat CO supreme court was split 4-3.

Besides it's Colorado, what are they afraid of, Biden wins easy there.
You don't know what the legal standard for insurrection is? Or you don't know that the Constitution gives the States the power to control their own ballots?

They're not afraid of anything. The law is not dictated by your feels. The Court believes that Trump broke the law in a manner which would bar him from the ballot, ruled as such, and is pushing the issue forward. The entire purpose of the courts is to uphold the law, even if that might be contrary to popular opinion. The legislatures and Congress are where popular opinion rules.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
The worst part of all this circus is the CERTAIN knowledge that, if the tables were turned and it had been Biden and the Dems who had attempted such a coup, that the perpetrators would already have been hung en masse from the Capitol steps.

I think the worst part of all this is that had the electoral college done what the founding fathers intended them to do, Trump would have never been elected in the first place. If the electoral college could be counted on to do what the founding fathers intended them to do, no one would even have to worry about Trump being elected again.