Colorado begins to turn against medicinal marijauna

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
So you are cool with opium too? All natural baby!

But your not cool with heroin or even synthetic opiods like vicodin

Opium requires processing of the poppy plant that is not likely to happen naturally to get the desired result. Marijuana requires no processing that couldn't happen naturally.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Opium requires processing of the poppy plant that is not likely to happen naturally to get the desired result. Marijuana requires no processing that couldn't happen naturally.

uh... marijuana requires roughly the same amount of processing as opium. have you ever smoked opium? it isn't exactly hard to make. you cut the bulb, let the rubbery white goop come out, scrap it off, let it dry and harden, then you smoke it. OMG SO MUCH PROCESSING! There's as much processing as making a salad.

When I process my cannabis, I cut it down, trim it, hang it upside down to dry, then I put it into a glass jar and air it out slowly over the course of a couple weeks. You know curing it, a form of processing.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
uh... marijuana requires roughly the same amount of processing as opium. have you ever smoked opium? it isn't exactly hard to make. you cut the bulb, let the rubbery white goop come out, scrap it off, let it dry and harden, then you smoke it. OMG SO MUCH PROCESSING! There's as much processing as making a salad.

When I process my cannabis, I cut it down, trim it, hang it upside down to dry, then I put it into a glass jar and air it out slowly over the course of a couple weeks. You know curing it, a form of processing.

If you walk by a poppy field that is being razed by a fire would you get high? I know that you would for cannabis. If so both = natural high, could happen to any innocent bystander to a natural fire.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
If you walk by a poppy field that is being razed by a fire would you get high? I know that you would for cannabis. If so both = natural high, could happen to any innocent bystander to a natural fire.

Not sure it would burn right, but the contact high you would get from a razed field of marijuana would depend on it's phase of growth. If it was flowering and towards the end of the flowering stage yea you might, but earlier on? nah you're just burning stuff.

I also disagree with your using "natural high", the methods of creating opium can occur "naturally".

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
So Ft Collins pot shops move outside the city limits, and their former downtown locales go empty, business being what it is atm.

Concerned citizens shoot themselves in the foot... and wonder why it hurts.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007

More processing goes into cigarettes than heroin. Splitting hairs over the amount of process needed to achieve a final product is silly.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007

If the pods had developed ...yes.

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
The contentious battle over Question 300 pitted a coalition of well-funded shop owners against a group of concerned citizens, led by a retired police officer and former city mayor, Ray Martinez.

I think the concerned citizens should just have a debate about the issue. Winner of the debate wins legality.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Aurora, 3rd largest city in Colorado does not allow MMJ, partially because of the obvious abuse of the claims as well as the increase of crime reported in areas around dispensing locations.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Aurora, 3rd largest city in Colorado does not allow MMJ, partially because of the obvious abuse of the claims as well as the increase of crime reported in areas around dispensing locations.

Meanwhile, the neighboring cities of Denver & Commerce City have some of their marginal retail locations rented out, with the alleged increase in crime non-existent.

First the fearmongering, then the shooting of one's own foot. Large segments of Aurora's population are part of the Tea Party nation, so it figures.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Fear mongering? The Denver police are putting out false stats? Those stats are what Aurora used in determining whether to allow MMJ shops. Also, articles by MMJ card holders that admitted that they do not use it except for recreational purposes. Then you have doctors that are wfiging scripts on demand.MJ hijacked MMJ because of the money involved and hurt the possible legitimately crow

Interesting how the student population for CU is so ill and needs MMJ . Compare that sickness population to other states that have no MMJ laws.

Answer is in the abuse of MMJ.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Colorado has always been against it, it's Denver that has em.

Look at a political map of Colorado, Boulder and Denver are the only 2 in BLUE the rest is all RED.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001

Look at a political map of Colorado, Boulder and Denver are the only 2 in BLUE the rest is all RED.

Calling MMJ a red/blue issue in Colorado is pretty inaccurate imo. Look at CO Springs - military bases, military academies and megachurches. It's solidly red. Yet it's pro MMJ. Pueblo, a fair number of the mountain towns, etc...

The red towns might be the ones consistently banning it in their jurisdictions, but in each vote it's not a landslide.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Fear mongering? The Denver police are putting out false stats? Those stats are what Aurora used in determining whether to allow MMJ shops. Also, articles by MMJ card holders that admitted that they do not use it except for recreational purposes. Then you have doctors that are wfiging scripts on demand.MJ hijacked MMJ because of the money involved and hurt the possible legitimately crow

Interesting how the student population for CU is so ill and needs MMJ . Compare that sickness population to other states that have no MMJ laws.

Answer is in the abuse of MMJ.

Stats? Cite 'em.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

You have no idea what you're talking about. We have 2 Dem Senators, 3 of 7 Reps are dems, and that's only because of gerrymandering. The governor is a Democrat.

Colorado is very much a swing state, trending Dem over time.

You'd never know it if the only place you've been is Colorado Springs, the home of the fundie fringe, multiple military installations, and a shitpile of officer class military retirees. It's actually a fairly wealthy city, but they're under the influence of anti-tax zealots, so they're turning off streetlights, letting the rest of the commons go to hell so they can count their gold like Fagin...

If we want smaller govt, I suggest we close Ft Carson, their greatest source of income- the place would shrivel up like a vampire in the sunlight...

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
Uranium is natural, and so is petroleum.

"Natural" is a misnomer and should never be used to try and qualify or disqualify a substance.

Aside from its propensity to create a whole bunch of people who really do not GAS about much of anything, pot is one of the LEAST destructive substances out there. Less so than Tobacco or Alcohol.

(Wasn't it these guys that pushed for making it illegal? I forget what special interests went on the "reefer madness" bent).

This crap should stop now. they should legalize it, tax it and regulate it like other substances. We have more frigging anti-depressants out there than you can shake an antelope at, but yet we are still spending millions on busting a bunch of frito munching potheads?

And you wonder why we have budget problems. If this is the crap we spend $$ on....

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
This crap should stop now. they should legalize it, tax it and regulate it like other substances. We have more frigging anti-depressants out there than you can shake an antelope at, but yet we are still spending millions on busting a bunch of frito munching potheads?

This.

With Marijuana laws, they just need to have a debate. Have a debate, bring the facts... they wouldn't be able to keep it illegal if they had an honest debate about it.

If they made rape legal back in the 1930's, would you defend rape being legal since they made it legal so long ago?