Color Me Surprised (Not)!

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000

^^^ Bat weilding yahoos allowed to roam free for hours after curfew, with some police reported to have high-fived them? Yeah, folks, it's really not all that Sunny in Philadelphia. :(
Before I click the link.. It's fair to assume these yahoos are white?

Reactions: JEDIYoda

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Mayor Jim Kenney on Tuesday criticized how police handled the group, saying: “We tolerated it last night for too long, and that was a mistake.”

Uh no Mr Mayor, you haven't identified the mistake yet, and if the fact that you want on the record to say that is anything to go by, I wouldn't trust you to manage to figure out your real mistake by yourself at any point soon.

As for the rest (e.g. police ignoring/supporting the vigilantes), I'm just trying to figure out which developed country I'd expect this behaviour from.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
But how police handled the crowd in Fishtown, long a majority-white neighborhood, stood in contrast to mass arrests for violating curfew that took place in majority-minority neighborhoods like West Philly and Kensington, as well as aggressive tactics used against people earlier Monday who were protesting police brutality.
“I saw hundreds of people teargassed two hours ago for walking around," one man yelled at officers Monday, “and these people are standing around with bats."

This part of the article just reinforces why there is protesting to begin with

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Right-wing authoritarians support other right-wing authoritarians.

In other news sky still blue, water still wet.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I am genuinely surprised at how enthusiastic the police have been about proving the protesters right, even when it’s clearly being recorded on video.

Maybe this is Trumpism at work or something similar but I feel that in the past shame would have made them behave better at least in the moment. Apparently not!

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Vigilantism is the usual response to looting, but that doesn’t excuse roaming gangs of goons intimidating protestors, nor should the police be overtly standing with them

Reactions: Meghan54

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Vigilantism is the usual response to looting, but that doesn’t excuse roaming gangs of goons intimidating protestors, nor should the police be overtly standing with them
These kncuckledragging rednecks were forming a line where protesters were leaving and going back to their cars. Now, tell me again they were there to stop looting.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
These kncuckledragging rednecks were forming a line where protesters were leaving and going back to their cars. Now, tell me again they were there to stop looting.
They weren’t there to stop looting, the right wing authoritarians are coming out to intimidate protestors, enabled and encouraged by a President who’s only chance for political survival is for the situation to devolve into violence and chaos.

Reactions: Meghan54

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
More intimidation of protesters. Anyone seeing a pattern here? BTW - More people who should have their guns confiscated.
More effing cowards.
"The protester who's on camera here with the sign is Cedric Caschetta, and he tells us it was actually police officers who suggested they take the bike path in order to avoid a longer and more rowdy route back to their vehicles."

So the cops wanted them to make sure they went through this "gauntlet". Eff them