college visits

Lager

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
Did you guys visit colleges you are interested in attending over the summer or is that pointless? How long are the tours on average?

JetBlack69

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2001
I visited the University of Minnesota campus. It was a few hours if I remember correctly. I did not tour the University of Wisconsin - Madison campus, but that's where I am. :)

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: coldcut
Did you guys visit colleges you are interested in attending over the summer or is that pointless? How long are the tours on average?
I made absolutely no college visits. The only day I visited before starting classes was Day on Campus at which I registered for classes, took placement tests, and walked around campus.

Pokey007

May 1, 2001
College visits are really crucial to making the decision. Tours usually last an hour, but then people wander around on their own after that. I'd recommend going during the school year if you can, the feel on campus between the school year and summer is very different.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Pokey007
College visits are really crucial to making the decision. Tours usually last an hour, but then people wander around on their own after that. I'd recommend going during the school year if you can, the feel on campus between the school year and summer is very different.

Agreed, if you can go during the school year. It will give you a more accurate impression of the campus (plus it counts for an excused absence in HS I believe).

Rufio

Banned
Mar 18, 2003
they are important so you can see how many hot chicks you won't be scoring with.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
I only wanted to go to one school and i toured it when i was in Junior High on a field trip. So i guess i didn't do any tours.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
i came to UT once b4 i started classes and that was just in passing.

GregGreen

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2000
they are important but after you go to enough of them they all blend into each other
rolleye.gif

fizmeister

Oct 29, 2002
No, but I should have. It's definitely worth it to get the college feel (unless you're visiting Princeton, which is dead during the summer).

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
Originally posted by: dparker
Originally posted by: Pokey007

Agreed, if you can go during the school year. It will give you a more accurate impression of the campus (plus it counts for an excused absence in HS I believe).

Yep, second all this. And after the tour, send mom & dad off to lunch, and wander the campus, academic buildings, & dorms by yourself. Try not to look like a H.S. geek. That's how you'll get a feel for things. Especially hit the academic building that house the departments you might major in to see what's going on ... what kind of displays, projects, groups etc. that they have.

da loser

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I never saw the point, ok wow you see a bunch of people and buildings, so what, college is big i'm sure if you'll find friends in college. but i guess it depends when you're choosing between smaller schools that might not offer something. otherwise looking online and comparing classes would be more informative. also i would talk to someone taking your major/e-mail the major club at the school and see what they b1tch about.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
i knew where i wanted to go so i didn't bother. my friend did go and did help me find my way on my first day so i guess it's good

WhiteKnight

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
Do the tour and everything if you want, but I think that the real atmosphere is much more important. Go to the library with a cup of coffee, check out the athletic center, sit on a bench on a quad when classes change. Can you see yourself there for (at least) four years? Often schools within a tier have negligible differences in terms of academic quality unless you are selecting a school specifically for it's strength in a particular department. It's much more important to find something that clicks with you. So anyway, long answer to a short question, but my answer is yes, if you can, definitely visit.