College students RANT; what class(s) don't you like?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
college algebra :(

(i failed the first semester of algebra 1 3 times during highschool... me and numbers don't go too good together)

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Software Engineering. Yeah, I know it's useful except for two minor points. First of all, I'm a Computer Engineer and don't plan on making a career out of programming, at least not like that. And secondly, the guy who's teaching it gets off on these random tangents and misses the point of the lecture. Today, for example, we learned how SQL and compilers work...which is not the point of the class at all.

TheBoyBlunder

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2003
The French Revolution and its Aftermath. It's an interesting enough class, it's just that the professor is old enough to be my grandfather and he teaches like it.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
By far it's HU3120: Scientific and Technical Communication. Possibly the dumbest class I've taken in my post-high school education.

RMSistight

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2003
Just like krunchykrome said:

Bus 20 - Financial Accounting: the damn teacher is so hard to understand cause he jumps around a lot and doesn't tell us what to look for in the book
Bus 90 - Business Statistics: This class has only ONE meeting and it's 2 hours and 45 mins long and is my last class of the week.
Bio 20 - Ecology Biology: The lectures are ok but the fvcking labs are FOREVER. I didn't score so well on the last weekly check too even though I paid attention and showed up to the lab.
Econ 1A - Macroeconomics - currently the only class I stay fully awake in and the teacher makes perfect sense.

krunchykrome! Help me with my Financial Accounting man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -_-

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
Originally posted by: MAME
Originally posted by: screw3d
Discrete Math.

You have got to be kidding. That's like the only math class that's interesting

Are you taking 1 or 2?

I found discrete math 1 so boring because everything had been covered in another class.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: stev0
college algebra :(

(i failed the first semester of algebra 1 3 times during highschool... me and numbers don't go too good together)

Bahahaha!

QueHuong

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
The people in my information technology classes are so stupid; while most of the people in my engineering classes are too smart.

Web Programming class (Javascript stuff): I got the highest score on the midterm exam, and I only studied the hour before the test. The class average was barely passing.

On the other hand, I was turning in my Mechanics I (Statics) final exam to the TA and I asked him how to do the truss problem (they gave you 4 problems to do in 2 hours...most took the whole time) and he said he couldn't tell me. I told him I'm ready to turn in my exam, I just wanted to know how to do it. "I really can't tell you. I don't know how to do it." He also told me there was one problem on a last exam that was impossible to do. None of the 6 TAs could do it either.

Other classes that are a pain in the ass: pretty much all of the engineering classes

Calc III - sequences and series are absolute killers

Mechanics II (Dynamics) - taking it right now...Physics I taken to the extreme

Chemistry - no interest in it, and no motivation to study for it; grades reflected that very well

Biology I and III - cell structure and ecology - too much memorizing...classes that requires brute memorization is wimpy. I may be complaining about Physics and Math, but I respect the hell out of it for making me think. Biology II was fun since it was genetics and required some thinking.

Stay tuned for next quarter when I will probably add Physics II (electricity and magnetism) and Differential Equations to this list.

SWScorch

Diamond Member
May 13, 2001
Calculus... taking it for a 2nd time because my Mexican prof can't teach and I got a D last time.... I hate math.

Danman

Lifer
Nov 9, 1999
This term I like all of them, my Object Oriented Programming professor is a bore though......he talks about a lot of BS we don't need.

Sephy

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 1999
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
Originally posted by: minendo
Originally posted by: Sephy
Analytical Chemistry...it is the devil itself. I like Organic though.
I enjoyed Anal Chem. Thought it was much easier than O Chem.

inadvisable use of abbreviations there...might want to fix that.

Nah...thats what we called it anyway, cause it was so anal.