College Questions (which one and what major)

MiniThug

Golden Member
Sep 10, 2000
I live in Texas and for that reason will prob go to either the University of Texas or Texas A&M. I am in the top 10% of my class so should not have a problem getting into either. My question is this. What would be the best major for me? I enjoy computer hardware, would one day like to work on design possibly, or for a company involved in that aspect. Im not really into the programming part of the field. Also, out of the two schools above, which would be better? A&M has one of the nations best engineering departments, but UT does a great job in the technology field I believe. I would like to minor or possibly double major in business, and UT clearly has the advantage there. Please help, I need to apply this week. What do you guys think!

Apr 5, 2000
Texas State Law states if you are in the top 10% of your class, you are automatically accepted into any public university of choice in the state of TX. (I live in TX BTW, go to UT Dallas)

And go ahead and apply for both as you are guaranteed to get into both, so take your time and think it over. And Computer Engineering is probably the major for you, although you would need to know assembly and some basic programming.

MiniThug

Golden Member
Sep 10, 2000
Yes, I know of the law, however that guarentees admission to the school, but not to the certain college (ie school of business). UT's business schools standards are so high, and since they can only allow a certain amount of people, some who are in the top 10% may not get in. They are accepted to the University though. I could be wrong, this is the way it was explained to me by my counselors. So Computer Engineering? I have heard people talk about electrical engineering with an emphisis on computers? Hmmm or was that electronic. Thanks for the advice

Gatsby

Golden Member
Nov 6, 1999
Not to be off topic but i t kinda is.

I barely scrapped top 20% at my HS but I somehow made it into Johns Hopkins in the Slums of Baltimore.

My suggestion to you is to declare a basic major like CS and then change your major when you get to college to a major taht bests suits you. For me this was coming in thinking I wanted to be a chemistry major then swithing majors a few time and returning to chemistry because like what thye do. Lab intensive and I am good with my hands. Yes I know I am very good with mixing and other lab techs.

Not good in that way.. but you never know

Gatsby