College nixes all athletic programs, replaces with wellness classes

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Bateluer, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Bateluer

Bateluer Lifer

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/203...s-replacing-with-wellness-programs?hpt=us_bn8

I'm all for making wellness programs, providing zumba, yoga, etc. Keeping the entire student body active and educated about their health is a good thing. But isn't killing all the sport programs, soccor, football, baseball, basketball, etc, overkill? Throwing the baby out with the bath water, as it were.

2. highland145

highland145 Lifer

this. I work out at a university gym. Outfitted very well, lots of classes, nutrition help, trainers, etc.......But in the last several years the crowed has thinned drastically. 20 min wait for an elliptical in now take your pick. The younger peeps don't get it or don't care. I'm thinking the latter.

Spelman may be having a $$ issue and this is their excuse.

3. needcamryhelp

needcamryhelp Junior Member

I think this is awesome. I wish my college offered this....and could somehow manage to keep our athletic programs too...

4. highland145

highland145 Lifer

Do you not have a college gym now?

And fat loss sticky.

5. Bateluer

Bateluer Lifer

My community college had two fitness centers, they're open to the public for membership fees too. I've only been inside them once, but they seemed well equipped.

6. DrPizza

DrPizza Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
    Administrator

Since athletics cost a lot more money than they bring in for universities, I wonder if this will catch on?

7. prism

prism Senior member

Universities can stop paying and treating their coaches like they're demigods. People serious about athletics will still play the sport(s) they want to.

8. tedrodai

tedrodai Golden Member

Eh...people serious about athletics will go to play at a place that supports the organized team sport they want to play. And I doubt those schools with successful programs will quit treating their coaches like demigods, but who can say the long term effects.

I think this isn't such a big deal, really. I think the talk about "focus on wellness programs for the entire college" is more about trying to make something good come of the unfortunate need to nix the organized sports due to money. It's not necessarily a good change or a bad change, but it's a business decision they have to make...and those students and faculty will just have to see if it works out. Lord knows they can have wellness programs without nixing their organized sports.

9. surfsatwerk

surfsatwerk Lifer

Wellness programs do not make anybody "well".