College ethics question?

Rogue

Banned
Jan 28, 2000
I am taking a hybrid course that requires attendance in class one day a week and two 10 question quizzes per week taken online. Each quiz can only be taken once and has a 2-hour time limit. They are open book, open note, open resource and the instructor has made that clear and really has no way to enforce it anyway because they are designed to be taken at home on a computer.

Anyway, I have neglected to buy the textbook and went ahead and took the first quiz without it. Without the text book and with minimal resource usage (ie.- Google, Wikipedia, etc.) I was able to score a 90% on the first quiz. I took the second quiz and did some Googling for some definitions of certain terms and stumbled across other online exams that contain the EXACT SAME QUESTIONS with the answers.

I am hesitant to use them because part of me feels it's unethical, but at the same time it doesn't seem to break any rules he's set forth either. I find myself selecting the answer I believe to be correct and checking it against the answers to the questions I'm finding on other sites and I'm right about 90% of the time. Is what I'm doing unethical?

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
You DO realize that tests usually make up a much higher percentage of the grade?

csyberblue

Aug 1, 2002
do you want to learn something or do you want to make the grade and get the hell out of the class asap?

laurenlex

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2004
Open book quiz. Google's like a really big book, sorta. It's not like bringing crib notes into an exam. I don't know. Maybe you are just smarter than the professor.

Siva

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Rogue
I am taking a hybrid course that requires attendance in class one day a week and two 10 question quizzes per week taken online. Each quiz can only be taken once and has a 2-hour time limit. They are open book, open note, open resource and the instructor has made that clear and really has no way to enforce it anyway because they are designed to be taken at home on a computer.

Anyway, I have neglected to buy the textbook and went ahead and took the first quiz without it. Without the text book and with minimal resource usage (ie.- Google, Wikipedia, etc.) I was able to score a 90% on the first quiz. I took the second quiz and did some Googling for some definitions of certain terms and stumbled across other online exams that contain the EXACT SAME QUESTIONS with the answers.

I am hesitant to use them because part of me feels it's unethical, but at the same time it doesn't seem to break any rules he's set forth either. I find myself selecting the answer I believe to be correct and checking it against the answers to the questions I'm finding on other sites and I'm right about 90% of the time. Is what I'm doing unethical?

Lazy professor, its his own fault. I got a take home quiz for Calc like that in high school and it was worth the A.

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002
Originally posted by: csyberblue
do you want to learn something or do you want to make the grade and get the hell out of the class asap?
if he wanted to learn something he should've taken the actual class. I've taken 6 online courses and they are almost completely useless other than for getting an easy A.

FleshLight

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2004
Depends on how much you think the class pertains to your major. If you're majoring in Journalism and the course you're taking is Chem 101, sure, why not.

Rogue

Banned
Jan 28, 2000
Originally posted by: jagec
You DO realize that tests usually make up a much higher percentage of the grade?

Yes, however, course curriculum consists of these quizzes I'm talking about and 5 points per day for class attendance with deduction for showing up late or not at all. That is it. No mid-term, no final exam.

Furthermore, I managed to take one of the quizzes today before class started and it took me exactly two minutes and one second to score a 90% on it. That was not using a single resource and I'm not kidding or exaggerating (I can post a screen shot in fact from the online gradebook).

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
open resource is opne resource.

but what a dumb professor. you won't learn/remember anything in the class.

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002

You are cheating. Do you really need us to tell you this?

Its a spirit of the law > letter of the law thing.

Don't do it.

Rogue

Banned
Jan 28, 2000
Originally posted by: PoPPeR
if he wanted to learn something he should've taken the actual class. I've taken 6 online courses and they are almost completely useless other than for getting an easy A.

Not to sound arrogant, but I read enough publications that so far, nothing he's taught is news to me. It helps that my wife has a Psychology degree and when she was going through school, I would read her textbooks and help her on her homework and papers.

I am taking the class as an elective toward my MIS degree, so really, it's not a core class.

I should add that I'm 28 years old and just want to get through this $hit. Everyone I work with or know thinks I have a degree already anyway, so the sooner I'm done with this, the better. People are genuinely surprised when I tell them I don't have a degree and I've even had employers list on documents that I have a degree when I NEVER told them anything of the sort, they've just assumed based on interaction.

Siva

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2001
Originally posted by: PoPPeR

Not to sound arrogant, but I read enough publications that so far, nothing he's taught is news to me. It helps that my wife has a Psychology degree and when she was going through school, I would read her textbooks and help her on her homework and papers.

I am taking the class as an elective toward my MIS degree, so really, it's not a core class.

I should add that I'm 28 years old and just want to get through this $hit. Everyone I work with or know thinks I have a degree already anyway, so the sooner I'm done with this, the better. People are genuinely surprised when I tell them I don't have a degree and I've even had employers list on documents that I have a degree when I NEVER told them anything of the sort, they've just assumed based on interaction.

I think that if you know the material, go for it. If you're clueless, well you'll have to deal with that at some point or another, so your one A isn't gonna save you anyway.

BTW I got a 5 on the AP test in that Calc class.

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002
yeah exactly. I wouldn't take an online accounting course because I know after I transfer to a 4 year college, the majority of my classes will be accounting based and of course I need to know the basics. That didn't stop me from taking two english classes, an intro to business class, and administration of justice online though.

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002
and speaking of which, I just finished taking an online quiz. We get 4 tries... and it tells us our grade after each attempt... lol

Too bad it doesn't tell us which ones we got wrong :(