College: Better to take a longer class or a Lecture/Discussion Class?

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
I applied late this year for college and I have my schedule figured out its just that I need one GER course. I only qualify for a few and I have to work a time-frame in.

I asked my advisor about this and she gave me a list of classes that I could take:
Film 301 (Tuesdays or Thursdays, 1-3:50 p.m.)
Conversations with Filmmakers and Critics. Lectures, screenings, and discussions by contemporary filmmakers and critics. Subjects of presentation will include the contemporary state of the art, the condition of the industry, and the relations of film to a critique of the culture. Prereq: none.

Urban Studies 250 (T, R 2-3:15 p.m.)
Exploring the Urban Environment. The nature of the city, the processes that effect change, and the future of the city. Prereq: none.

Music 102 (T, R 2-3:15 p.m.)
American Popular Music. A guide to understanding and enjoying American popular music from 1900 to the present. Students survey all popular genres and focus on chosen style. Prereq: none.

Criminal Justice 110 (T, R 2-3:15 p.m.)
Introduction to Criminal Justice. Survey of the present structure, philosophy, procedures, future prospects of police, courts, corrections, and of the penal system in American society. Prereq: none.

Geography 110 (Lecture T, R 1-1:50 p.m., Dis R 2-2:50)
The World: Peoples and Regions. Introduction to regional cultural geography through a study of representative and significant areas of the earth. Satisfies L&S International req. Prereq: none.

Now some classes have two different time slots, a Discussion and a Lecture. Then some classes that are over 2.5 hours long. Which would you reccommend? (Taking the likes and dislikes about the course out, and the difficulty in). I dont even know what "discussion" is. And college starts in 1 month and 2 days!!

MoPHo

Platinum Member
Dec 16, 2003
anytime there's a discussion, i find it easier to understand the stuff because you can go in and actually talk about crap. lectures are boring and aren't all too much fun to follow.

i recommend Film 301. sounds cool

chickadee

May 3, 2004
"Discussion" is usually a class added on for students to attend where they wil meet with a TA (i guess it could be the professor, but usually unlikely) and they can ask any questions they might have, and the TA will elaborate further on things, and if its for a class that has readings and such you might be given questions to further your knowledge of the subject and you collaborate with your classmates on answers. whereas lectures are just sitting there listen ot a teacher talk on and on.

what is your major? that might play a role in which class you should take. And if none of that matters i agree with montanafan and say go for film301

ATLien247

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
I'd take Film 301...

I was in a similar predicament myself once. There was a comparable course offered at my school, but it always filled up before I could register. It was like that for three semesters, so I ended up taking courses like Intro. to Jazz and Intro. to Dance. Granted, they ended up being interesting courses, but I would have much rather taken a film class.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
it's all about personal preference.

when I was in college, I loved 3 hour classes because it left the rest of my week free... the downside is that if you miss a class, you can be screwed. and if it's a lecture, prepare to consume lots of coffee beforehand to stay awake.

cw42

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
I'm a Senior IT major, and im takin Intro to Criminology for the hell of it in the Fall. Should be interesting :)

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
I want to be into comuputer engineering. However, since HS offered me over 1.5 years of NO MATH in my junior and senior year, my placement scores were so low that I could barely take any computer classes. The college im attending will offer computer engineering next year. So I have these classes figured out: Math, English, Comp Science, and another Comp Science Class. However I need a GER and have very few options. The Urban class seemed interesting, film as well.. but i wont be able to hold a camcorder & make a movie (a huge hobby of mine).. but it'll help