Collapse of the Irish Govt. (New York Times)

Taejin

Moderator<br>Love & Relationships
Aug 29, 2004
great first post, filled with spelling errors, doomsday predictions and a hint of paranoia. You'll fit right in here with all the fucking partisan loons.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Bad news but you could see it coming. Back in the Great Depression, many governments that supported austerity collapsed or were repudiated in the polls after they initiated their reforms. Their policies weren't effective However, the replacement policies weren't very effective either.

Theophilus20

Nov 15, 2010
great first post, filled with spelling errors, doomsday predictions and a hint of paranoia. You'll fit right in here with all the fucking partisan loons.

Great reply, filled with Cynicism, unsupressed misdirected Anger, and a hint of Eliteism. You dont really fit in anywhere do you.

Last edited:

Theophilus20

Nov 15, 2010
I don't think you realize how a parliament works. The actual government institution is not dissolving, just the ruling coalition. There's not really an equivalent in the US.

I do understant how their system works.
Whenever one side of a Govt calls it quits, steps aside to allow new elections,
I would call that a failure of a Govt.
The current Govt has failed.
There will be new elections and they will take another shot at it.
(If the Mobs outside the doors dont tear up the place to badly)

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
I don't think you realize how a parliament works. The actual government institution is not dissolving, just the ruling coalition. There's not really an equivalent in the US.

Yeah.... At first I thought the actual government was collapsing, but it's just a misunderstanding of how parliaments work. People around here aren't exactly sure what "form a new government" and other lines like that when it comes to parliaments.

Theophilus20

Nov 15, 2010
It's elitism to use correct spelling and punctuation?

Sorry for mispelling words.
I thought this was AnandTECH. Not AnandSPELL.

I here by announce:
My new personal spellcheckers will be:
RbSX
Taejin
and
Brainonska (If you are interested in the job.)

Your new jobs will be to scour posts on this site and correct spelling, punctuation, and general grammer, while totaly ignoring the OP ro the subject of the OP, since you have already demonstrated this ability.

I will be calling on you often to correct my posts and others that i see.

Everyone please give a cheer for the new AnandTech Spellcheckers!

Scotteq

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2008
I do understant how their system works.
Whenever one side of a Govt calls it quits, steps aside to allow new elections,
I would call that a failure of a Govt.
The current Govt has failed.
There will be new elections and they will take another shot at it.
(If the Mobs outside the doors dont tear up the place to badly)

In really, really, really broad strokes. And with the understanding there are many forms of Parliamentary government.

Unlike the USA, many countries use a 'Parliamentary' system where many political parties may put forth candidates for election/selection. The new Parliament then selects a Prime Minister to be in charge. Obviously, when this process is complete there is often no clear leadership or clear majority which can dictate the course of Government. So the different political parties/factions may then (and often do) form Coalitions (groups of political parties) who - more or less - unite in order to provide the necessary control/direction.

What has happened here is the current Coalition have fallen on their swords as a means to take some responsibility for the mess (a more cynical viewpoint is "We Give Up - so it's *Your* problem now, kkthanksbye..."). What now happens is a flurry of new activity as a new coalition is formed from the various parties.

But understand: The Government as a whole is perfectly operational.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliamentary_system

Last edited:

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
If their government collapses then it was garbage to begin with. Big deal. Its not the only Western country that could benefit from having its "leadership" cleaned out for being incompetent/greedy and corrupt by a longshot.

Theophilus20

Nov 15, 2010
If their government collapses then it was garbage to begin with. Big deal. Its not the only Western country that could benefit from having its "leadership" cleaned out for being incompetent/greedy and corrupt by a longshot.

You may be missing the larger point.
The reason for the Irish govt collaspse (Ruling party calling it quits), is because their country is bankrupt. And they dont want to be in cahrge of the mess or be around when the Mob arrives at the capitol to do their style of cleaning.

Ireland is the evidence of an existing problem that is getting worse. Not going away, or getting better.

The entire EU suffers from this financial disease. Ireland is just the first to display open sores.

The US suffers from the same financial disease. We just keep looking around at other countries that are having problems and keep saying: "Itll never happen here, because, it just wont". Yet we keep running a massive deficit, printing more money, and asking for more credit.

Now, if i could just get
RbSX
Taejin
or even
Brainonska511
To SPELLCHECK this,
That would be Greaaaaaaaaaat.

Last edited:

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Another way to look at it is that the EU is ramming the loans down Ireland's throat to cover itself. If they don't, banks in Germany and elsewhere in Europe will take losses, threatening failure there. Unthinkable. So, you have Irish taxpayers told to bailing out foreign interests.

This won't be the last time we see this. There's still far too much bad debt floating around, everywhere and they're just trying to sweep it the rug. Governments all over the world complicit in stealing the citizens money to pay for theft originally perpetrated on those very same citizens by banks. It's ridiculous.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
This thread is lulz.

OP should have said he was a misunderstood Muslim. Past experience shows he would have been swooned over...

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
eco-KOOKism combined with us style smoke and mirrors real estate games greatly contributed to this.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Sorry for mispelling words.
I thought this was AnandTECH. Not AnandSPELL.

I here by announce:
My new personal spellcheckers will be:
RbSX
Taejin
and
Brainonska (If you are interested in the job.)

Your new jobs will be to scour posts on this site and correct spelling, punctuation, and general grammer, while totaly ignoring the OP ro the subject of the OP, since you have already demonstrated this ability.

I will be calling on you often to correct my posts and others that i see.

Everyone please give a cheer for the new AnandTech Spellcheckers!

:colbert:

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Nasty beer. Tastes and smells like sewage. Irish Whiskey isnt too good either, least not like scotts make...I think I see their problem. Even what they claim to do well at, drink, they don't do very well..

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
Another way to look at it is that the EU is ramming the loans down Ireland's throat to cover itself. If they don't, banks in Germany and elsewhere in Europe will take losses, threatening failure there. Unthinkable. So, you have Irish taxpayers told to bailing out foreign interests.

This won't be the last time we see this. There's still far too much bad debt floating around, everywhere and they're just trying to sweep it the rug. Governments all over the world complicit in stealing the citizens money to pay for theft originally perpetrated on those very same citizens by banks. It's ridiculous.
It's like a game of ring around the rosie... last one to sit down is OUT.

Unthinkable, really, to see what Government is doing to otherwise normal people, that are basically happy living their life.

But NO, here's Government, promising you the Moon and beyond, and bankrupting you.

-John