Colin Powell: I'm not reading this, This is bulls- - -.

Zrom999

Banned
Apr 13, 2003
Maybe this whole Iraq thing was a huge, highly complex, well thought out, diabolical plot to... make Powell look like an ass when nothing turns up. Haha, bad joke.

If this was genuine intel, someone in the CIA needs to be fired. This is what happens when your source of info is disgruntled people, opposition groups, and opportunist who would benefit from Saddam's removal. They would tell the US what they wanted to hear just to get them to do their dirty work. Or its more likely the US deliberately used these false intel reports a justification for their true, unbenign intentions in that region.

cpumaster

Dec 10, 2000
pushed down Powell lap by people from the office of vice president, Dick "oil-company-lobby-man" Cheney

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
THis is huge. All three major newsweeklys are running covers of it this week.

Link

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Czar
Originally posted by: Carbonyl

Link

definetly getting very big:Q

Stop spewing your treason. Get over it Bush won. You fricking liberals have no real arguments. We went to Iraq to liberate the Iraqi people and have accomplished that, the weapons will turn up and even if they don't it doesn't matter. Even if Bush lied, Clinton was worse....... :)

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
Originally posted by: tnitsuj

Link

Stop spewing your treason. Get over it Bush won. You fricking liberals have no real arguments. We went to Iraq to liberate the Iraqi people and have accomplished that, the weapons will turn up and even if they don't it doesn't matter. Even if Bush lied, Clinton was worse....... :)

lol u utterly nailed conservative thinking! And to think you're being sarcastic! :D :evil:

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Even if Bush lied, Clinton was worse....... :)

And you neo-conservatives need to get a life.

Clinton was a worse liar than Bush? I think not.

Clinton's lie about his affair hurt no one but himself.

Bush's lie caused the rape and victimization of a whole country and it's people, over a vendetta against but ONE MAN (Hussein), and we don't have jack to back up the Bush Regime's actions.

Not only that, but Bush's lie caused the deaths of both US and UK servicement. Even one death of our dedicated servicemen, over their leader's lie, is 1000 too many.

Ride high on euphoria now, while you can, because the S##T is starting to fall, and it will bury Bush by Election 2004 time, I guarantee. Bush will be running out with his tail between his legs like the varment that he is.

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
Well now the truth is out, this administration stole a election, blocked congressional investigation into the intelligence failures of 9/11, has had shady dealings with Enron executives and other business ties, then this administration cooked intelligence to justifying starting a multi billion dollar pre-emptive war!

Unbelievable! I cant believe I'm living in America right now, where a Republican president can get away with all of the above, and a Democrat president can lie about sex and be impeached.

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003

Link

The "sh!t has hit the fan" big, but nothing will happen. Theres no responsibility on this administration's part, no accountability.

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
That's a pretty accurate assessment, Smileyz; unfortunately its as sad as you narrate.

What can we do? VOTE the Bush Regime OUT in Election 2004, seems to be the only thing.

The Bush Regime surely hasn't listen to its citizens in the past, so we really need to be active and vote them out in 2004.

Just as Clinton said back in 1992, "It's time for them to GO!"

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
According to a CIA report noted in the 'Slate' Internet magazine, key equipment for growing, sterilizing and drying bacteria was not present in either trailer. Iraqi officials have said the trailers were used to produce hydrogen for artillery weather balloons.
Now that's interesting . . . not that Iraqi officials have any real credibility but if neither mobile WMD lab was actually capable of growing or dessicating bacteria they wouldn't be very useful. I assume the Slate writer is referring to the ability to sterilize equipment used for making bacterial cultures NOT sterilizing bacteria.

Sounds to me like Powell didn't tell the UN anything he didn't actually believe.
I agree, kinda. Powell is NOT a neo-con so he should have rationally evaluated information provided to him. I imagine DOD/CIA were instructed to provide information consistent with the story Rummites wanted to convey. Some info Powell rejected but other info appeared plausible and certainly consistent with the regime's prior behavior. Powell emphasized the incontrovertible nature of the regime while presenting intelligence which was at least somewhat credible (except for the aluminum tubes and Niger nuke material). I fault Powell for using such information when it was widely known that American intelligence had been critical of it.

Powell and Blair will take the blame b/c no one ever really believed Bush except for the Americans who follow like lemmings to the sound of FOXNews updates. Blair I think shoulders even more responsibility b/c he expressly exhibited the change in rationale for war BEFORE the war started. Originally, Blair championed inspections and emphasized the primary goal was disarmament NOT regime change as advocated by the Bush administration. But during February and into March, Blair's entreaties became more impassioned as he focused on the plight of the Iraqi people. I do not think Blair explicitly lied about WMD but I think he's taking a sucker's route by continuing to harp it while his ally across the pond is backing away.

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
What's sad is we dragged the very liberal prime minister Tony Blair into this mess, he was Bush's best buddy in this war on Iraq and believed him with his whole heart.

Now I see him on tv, desperately defending his position...

"The fact that we fabricated evidence is, simply ludicrious..."

This could very well be the downfall of Tony Blair's political career.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: phillyTIM
Even if Bush lied, Clinton was worse....... :)

And you neo-conservatives need to get a life.

Clinton was a worse liar than Bush? I think not.

Clinton's lie about his affair hurt no one but himself.

Bush's lie caused the rape and victimization of a whole country and it's people, over a vendetta against but ONE MAN (Hussein), and we don't have jack to back up the Bush Regime's actions.

Not only that, but Bush's lie caused the deaths of both US and UK servicement. Even one death of our dedicated servicemen, over their leader's lie, is 1000 too many.

Ride high on euphoria now, while you can, because the S##T is starting to fall, and it will bury Bush by Election 2004 time, I guarantee. Bush will be running out with his tail between his legs like the varment that he is.

Yeah right, Dubya could have the whole Swedish bikini team in his office giving him hummers while on the phone with Chirac telling him to kiss his shiny white heiny and still win in a landslide. The democratic party has no credibly candidates nor any that are remotely moderate. This is why they will fail miserably come 2004 and 2008. Until they get off the left wing fence and support the majority of americans no one will vote their sorry ass's in.

Care to wager a democrat winning in 2004? The only way would be if a more moderate republican candidate came along to steal enough votes(*cough* Perot *cough*) to allow one of the Berkeley fanboys like Dean(may God help us if he is ever elected, would make the Carter administration look progressive) elected.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
What's sad is that Blair did it to himself. IMO, he resented being Clinton's puppy and really thought he would have sway with Bush. I believe Clinton met with Blair in January or February. Who knows what was said but I assume Clinton advised Blair to be a player not a bystander. The problem with Clinton giving advice is that Clinton has no credibility to lose.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Care to wager a democrat winning in 2004? The only way would be if a more moderate republican candidate came along to steal enough votes(*cough* Perot *cough*) to allow one of the Berkeley fanboys like Dean(may God help us if he is ever elected, would make the Carter administration look progressive) elected.

Are you ignorant of Carter or just lack the aptitude for appropriate contrasts and comparisons? By common usage, Carter was a moderate Progressive . . . who also proposed National Healthcare which was derailed by the Democrats and various special interests. Most moderates embrace the notion that people are ultimately responsible for the outcome of their lives but government can assist significantly . . . as opposed to idiotic notions on the far right (government is ALWAYS a problem unless you are bombing someone) and the far left (government has a solution for everything).

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Nah, that's just how the administration takes responsibility for their actions. You pin some crap on them and they'll just say "who's going to beat Bush on '04?"

It's a way they can not answer the question and be smug peckers all at the same time. Classic GOP.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Thera
Nah, that's just how the administration takes responsibility for their actions. You pin some crap on them and they'll just say "who's going to beat Bush on '04?"

It's a way they can not answer the question and be smug peckers all at the same time. Classic GOP.

and not forget the "blame clinton" speech :p

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc

Are you ignorant of Carter or just lack the aptitude for appropriate contrasts and comparisons? By common usage, Carter was a moderate Progressive . . . who also proposed National Healthcare which was derailed by the Democrats and various special interests. Most moderates embrace the notion that people are ultimately responsible for the outcome of their lives but government can assist significantly . . . as opposed to idiotic notions on the far right (government is ALWAYS a problem unless you are bombing someone) and the far left (government has a solution for everything).

Ever hear of inflation and rampant unemployment. A disaster both locally and overseas. His ineptitude knew no bounds. It was not until the last 6 months of his administration that he actually did anything worthy of being called presidential, by then it was too late to salvage any reelection possibilities and as such he was defeted soundly the next election.

Did you like the Carter admin?

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
Powell and other top officials have said proof of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq will be found but that it might take time.

"This wasn't material I was making up, it came from the intelligence community," Powell said Monday of his February 5 presentation to the United Nations.

"There was a lot of additional information that was very solid and substantiated that I didn't use because I didn't have time to use it all, and anything that we weren't totally comfortable with, we didn't use."

Powell said solid intelligence often does not have multiple sources. "But in this case, because of the attention that was being focused on the briefing, and the importance of the briefing, I wanted to make sure that it was solid information, multiple-sourced, and reflected the considered and unanimous view of the intelligence community analysts who are responsible for it."

CNN

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001

Link

LOL, at least clinton's lie didn't kill anybody.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Vadatajs

Link

but it destroyed a perfectly good dress gaddamnit! :p

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Vadatajs

Link

but it destroyed a perfectly good dress gaddamnit! :p

If that worm Ken Starr had been there I'm sure his suit and tie would be fine - the little BJ wouldn't miss a drop.