Colin Powell endorses Obama

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: PottedMeat
Originally posted by: cirrrocco
video of endorsement
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efv3Vr8T9MA

For pure lulz read the -5 and less comments.

"Hilarious. Powell endorses Barack Hussein Obama II but "not because he's black".? Right. I got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. I'm just wondering if Soetoro's, now known as Obama, first Presidential act will be to pardon OJ or to pardon all the people participating in voter fraud."

"My God, obama's entire past, present and future is filled with dirt, disgrace and deceipt. obama is everything the U.S. DOES NOT STAND FOR and then this traitor comes on? t.v. and endorses this kind of scum? If I didn't see/hear it, I would never believe this of what I thought was a true, dignified American - Colin Powell, you just dropped to th bottom of the barrel for us - you're a traitor and racist."

"BLACKS like Rev. AL, JESSE, The? MUSLIM NATION are all laughing at White America for supporting Obama. Wait till we have to make "reprartions" for slavery (a.k.a laziness)."

lulz indeed
wow, just wow:

slavery == laziness

that's a new one.

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Falloutboy
I dunno, I think its a big deal. I've always thought powell was a pretty respectable guy, and hell I was swaying mcain (don't like the man but didn't care for obama ether) but this makes me take a second look at it.

If Colin Powell were running, I would surely vote for him. The Powell endorsement won't sway me to vote for Obama (no more than the urging emails from the Clintons :) ) but it is a big deal.

I just hope General Powell hasn't done this for some kind of personal gain. If he gets a job or a kickback out of this his credibility will be gone.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: RY62
Originally posted by: Falloutboy
I dunno, I think its a big deal. I've always thought powell was a pretty respectable guy, and hell I was swaying mcain (don't like the man but didn't care for obama ether) but this makes me take a second look at it.

If Colin Powell were running, I would surely vote for him. The Powell endorsement won't sway me to vote for Obama (no more than the urging emails from the Clintons :) ) but it is a big deal.

I just hope General Powell hasn't done this for some kind of personal gain. If he gets a job or a kickback out of this his credibility will be gone.

Haven't heard from you and lupi in a while? I guess you'll be voting for Palin, right? Odd, cause she's nothing like your Queen.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
video of endorsement

"Hilarious. Powell endorses Barack Hussein Obama II but "not because he's black".? Right. I got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. I'm just wondering if Soetoro's, now known as Obama, first Presidential act will be to pardon OJ or to pardon all the people participating in voter fraud."

"My God, obama's entire past, present and future is filled with dirt, disgrace and deceipt. obama is everything the U.S. DOES NOT STAND FOR and then this traitor comes on? t.v. and endorses this kind of scum? If I didn't see/hear it, I would never believe this of what I thought was a true, dignified American - Colin Powell, you just dropped to th bottom of the barrel for us - you're a traitor and racist."

"BLACKS like Rev. AL, JESSE, The? MUSLIM NATION are all laughing at White America for supporting Obama. Wait till we have to make "reprartions" for slavery (a.k.a laziness)."

lulz indeed
I feel sorry for those posters' parents. But it's good to see that racism is alive and well in our country.

n yusef

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2005
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
video of endorsement

lulz indeed
I feel sorry for those posters' parents. But it's good to see that racism is alive and well in our country.

They most likely learned this from their parents, as their parents did from the generation before them.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: winnar111
Not sure why this is news; Powell is fundamentally a liberal on most issues.

As a key reason, Powell said: "I would have difficulty with two more conservative appointments to the Supreme Court, but that's what we'd be looking at in a McCain administration."

That doesn't imply he is fundamentally liberal at all - it just as much implies that he is a centrist.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
There are a lot of people out there who I have personally spoken with that are siding with McCain and use his military experience as a major cornerstone that defines their position. I wonder how many of them and other Repubs that are currently against Obama are also big fans of Powell and I am not just talking about those on these boards. I wonder how many of them put more stock into Powell's opinion than they do McCain's opinion or their own for that matter with his history of being a general and involvement in politics.

This will be very interesting and I see it swinging both Repub voters and influencing many independents. There are many out there who support Powell regardless of party affiliation. No matter how you slice it though, I do not see this endorsement causing Obama to lose any votes. All I see it doing is helping him gain votes.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Interesting that Rush Limbaugh is claiming that Powell's endorsement is solely about race -- nothing more. Funny how things change considering many blacks have considered Powell to be an Uncle Tom.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: NFS4
Interesting that Rush Limbaugh is claiming that Powell's endorsement is solely about race -- nothing more. Funny how things change considering many blacks have considered Powell to be an Uncle Tom.
It's not interesting, it's to be expected of the fat gasbag to say such a thing.

Hugh H

Jul 11, 2008
Originally posted by: WHipLAsh13
I just don't see "it" in Obama. Clinton had an "it" factor and so did JFK. Just don't see it in Obama.

Ok... millions of people see it though. And i won't expect you to see "it", given the racial ignorant comments you have posted here (like "Powell won't do anything for Obama because he already has the "black vote" locked", effectively reducing Powell to a "black guy that only appeals to other blacks)-- please, your true colors came to light there and you don't fool me. Sadly I don't think you will be ever capable of seeing it, not because people can't change, but because moving away from race profiling would be almost impossible to overcome.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: NFS4
It's not interesting, it's to be expected of the fat gasbag to say such a thing.

Well, I'm not gonna argue with that ;)

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
As expected, the first comment heard at work today concerning the Powell endorsement: "Well, you know that was all about race".

elsmitro

Jul 29, 2002
Powell has been acting a fool a lot the last few weeks. With they way he has been gyrating all over the U.S. with his ?friends?, hopefully his stupidity has climaxed; this will do no damage to McCain in the ?truly opened? eyes of America.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
Not sure why this is news; Powell is fundamentally a liberal on most issues.

As a key reason, Powell said: "I would have difficulty with two more conservative appointments to the Supreme Court, but that's what we'd be looking at in a McCain administration."

We definitely don't need any more Social Conservative in the Court.

You're entitled to believe that, but in 2001, Powell joined up to serve a President who promised to put more 'social conservatives' in the Court.

Didn't bother him then.
And a dyed in the wool Republican partisan would never be able to re-evaluate his beliefs and change his mind. Obviously Powell did and I think that's commendable.

Well, you would have thought that after trying to whitewash the My Lai Massacre Powell would have learned something and not pulled the wool over the UN's eyes about Iraqi WMD's.

Change we can believe in???? If it weren't so sad it'd be laughable.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: nobodyknows
Well, you would have thought that after trying to whitewash the My Lai Massacre Powell would have learned something and not pulled the wool over the UN's eyes about Iraqi WMD's.

He shoots and he misses:laugh:

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: elsmitro
Powell has been acting a fool a lot the last few weeks. With they way he has been gyrating all over the U.S. with his ?friends?, hopefully his stupidity has climaxed; this will do no damage to McCain in the ?truly opened? eyes of America.

Mhmm...tell that to great number of Cuban FL voters who traditionally side with Repubs no matter what and are now being heavily conflicted because in their eyes Colin Powell is a man that can do no wrong. I am not saying that Powell's endorsement has flipped the majority of the FL Cuban population's vote because it hasn't, but it most certainly has flipped some of it and it was a real deal breaker for Cuban fence sitters which consist of those usually between their late 30s and early 40s. Losing FL is something that McCain cannot afford to do and every day that possibility keeps looking more and more probable.

Originally posted by: CallMeJoe
As expected, the first comment heard at work today concerning the Powell endorsement: "Well, you know that was all about race".

Yes, and you will continue to hear that a lot, but it doesn't matter. Obama doesn't need a lot to turn this into a landslide. He only needs a fraction and Powell helped increase that fraction.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008

That's all you got? If anything an endorsment by Powell is going to hurt Obama more then it will help him.

Like I said, if it wasn't so sad it'd be laughable.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Xavier434
Originally posted by: CallMeJoe

Yes, and you will continue to hear that a lot, but it doesn't matter. Obama doesn't need a lot to turn this into a landslide. He only needs a fraction and Powell helped increase that fraction.

Colbert had it exactly right. The other 20something generals, admirals and military leaders who endorsed Obama did it because Colin Powell is black.

If anything an endorsment by Powell is going to hurt Obama more then it will help him.

with whom exactly?

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

If anything an endorsment by Powell is going to hurt Obama more then it will help him.

Yeah... it'll hurt him about as much as winning the lottery.

You're talking about your own judgment, right? :confused:

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

That's all you got? If anything an endorsment by Powell is going to hurt Obama more then it will help him.

Don't know if it hurts or helps, but Obama has went from up 4.7% average in the polls since Sunday (when Powell anounced) to 7.3% average today. Doesn't look like it "hurt" him much.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

You wish. Your problem is that you have not spoken to any fence sitters that really respect Powell and do not look at his endorsement as simply a racial thing. All you got going for you is your own speculation. Whatever helps you sleep at night I guess...

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: loki8481
Originally posted by: seemingly random
powell praised obama's intellectual curiosity.

and he voted for GWB twice. /headasplode

Right, which he basically admitted was a poor choice. So what's the problem exactly?

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
Originally posted by: Xavier434

You wish. Your problem is that you have not spoken to any fence sitters that really respect Powell and do not look at his endorsement as simply a racial thing. All you got going for you is your own speculation. Whatever helps you sleep at night I guess...

You people are the ones speculating that Powell has "seen the light". It has nothing to do with race IMO, I am looking at his proven track record.

It seems so many people don't understand that the best way to bring change is to hold people accountable. Until people wake up to that fact I guess we. can just keep bailing everybody out and pointing fingers at each other like little kids. Just keep it up with the "He hit me first" mentality and hope no one sees the truth