Coleman Franken race updates.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
From the New York Times, that latest news regarding the MN Senate race.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes...nesota-senate-saga/?hp

And as Coleman wins a recount issue, he still falls another close to 100 votes behind.

When will this damn thing end?

As Coleman has to win close to 80% of the next disputed vote, which is not going to happen.

But still Coleman appeals and appeals and appeals to the courts in a futile attempt to delay the inevitable. Isn't it long past time for the courts to say, no Norm, get a life, you lost.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Norms a dick in real life. I can't imagine him doing anything else.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
The only reason it's not over is because the Republican governor refuses to certify it.

JFoobar

Feb 19, 2005
While the thought of Senator Al Franken does not appeal to me greatly, I find myself increasingly disgusted with the whole affair. Not only should Coleman probably have relinquished by now, the legal process of election appeals needs to be sped up substantially. The people of Minnesota (of which I am not one) have been deprived of one of their representatives in Congress for 5 months now and that is unacceptable.

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009
Originally posted by: senseamp
The only reason it's not over is because the Republican governor refuses to certify it.

"Step into my office."

"Why?"

"Because you're fuckin' fired!"

Easy.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
From everything I've read about the situation, voting procedures are f'd up around this country and very susceptible to partisan interests. Even if Coleman loses, these challenges may improve voting and counting procedures for future elections.

On the other side of the issue, will Franken's acceptance into the Senate change anything? The Democrats are currently getting everything they want passed.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ironwing
Given how Minnesotans drive, they don't deserve two senators.

I can't argue with that. We have the worst drivers I've ever encountered, and I've driven all over the US.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
I would expect this to go on for a few more months, unless Coleman gives up.

I think the real fun begins when they finish with the state courts and head to the Federal courts. Seems like there are some real legit 14 amendment issues here with the way ballots in different areas were treated.

The worse part is the provisional ballots that were counted and then placed with normal ballots instead of being segregated like they are suppose to be. Now you can't go back and recount those ballots because you can't tell which are which.

Coleman could fight to have tallies returned to election night totals before all these questionable ballots started to show up.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I'd say not for a few more months. Coleman is planning to appeal to the state supreme court.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Originally posted by: ironwing
Given how Minnesotans drive, they don't deserve two senators.

I can't argue with that. We have the worst drivers I've ever encountered, and I've driven all over the US.

What are you talking about? You dont like people driving 10 miles under the speed limit in the left lane?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??????????????

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: senseamp

Why would he in the middle of litigation? Honestly I dont think he can even do it legally if he wanted to due to our laws.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Just give Coleman the seat already. The race is too close to call, and I'd rather have someone who'll enter the job with a running start rather than a rookie who's day job=comedian.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Originally posted by: JSt0rm01
Originally posted by: cubby1223
The Democrats are currently getting everything they want passed.

everything they want +1 :)

They already have Roland Burris in there for no other purpose than a straight party-line vote. This is all Franken will be. They have the votes to pass everything they want to. So let the lawsuits run their course and maybe the next elections won't be so f'd up.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Republicans in MN truly HATE Franken, so naturally I want him to win.

scruffypup

Feb 3, 2006
Originally posted by: Lemon law
From the New York Times, that latest news regarding the MN Senate race.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes...nesota-senate-saga/?hp

And as Coleman wins a recount issue, he still falls another close to 100 votes behind.

When will this damn thing end?

As Coleman has to win close to 80% of the next disputed vote, which is not going to happen.

But still Coleman appeals and appeals and appeals to the courts in a futile attempt to delay the inevitable. Isn't it long past time for the courts to say, no Norm, get a life, you lost.

Wasn't that just like a presidential election some years back,... where the question was about Florida's votes,.. and seeing how this is ongoing,.. how we could have had no president for ????

In a close race I think there should be a challenge to a point,.. enough is enough, let politicians get to work,... oh wait,.. they don't do that anyways,....

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Republicans in MN truly HATE Franken, so naturally I want him to win.

Democrats do as well. I have only met one person who voted for Franken among my left leaning friends. And he only did it because he voted a straight ticket because of Obama and really didnt even know much about either candidate nor cared.

The more informed liberals I know all are in shock he won.