Cold Electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

webfab

Dec 13, 2009
I have heared that from few people and just wondering if its true.
When i buy something online it sits outside in the truck and in the transit for awile in cold temperature when you get the item its generaly cold. If i plug the item right away into the power and start using it is there a chance of some kinda of failure???
Today i go my 1TB storage drive and i did let it sit in room temperature for about 20 minute prior t pluging it in but if i pluged it straight into power would something bad have happened ?????

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
If they are brought into a higher temperature area, moisture can condense on the uninsulated cold parts.

Moisture in electronics and/or a hard drive platter is bad.

Snock514

Golden Member
Jul 20, 2009
Nuke2.JPG

Don't do it!

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
in most cases it won't matter
there might be slightly more risk with a mechanical item, like a hard drive vs. a totally electronic item, like a cell phone

but overall the risk is small
if you want to be really conservative, then yes, let it warm to room temperature first

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
My brother shipped an X360 and a 9800GT from Georgia to up here in Wisconsin. Both items were below 0 when they got here (It was -8 that day and the items felt like they'd been out there in it).

I gave the items about 6 hours to dry and used a blow dryer on cool to prevent condensation forming and all worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.