Colbert Lampoons Bush at White House Correspondents Dinner

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BBond

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Originally posted by: LordSegan
Originally posted by: BlancoNino
Colbert is funny as hell!

One quick question, though.

Why does he claim to be a republican on his show?

Because that is the joke.

The funniest joke is bush claiming to be a repbulican. :laugh:

dardin211

Oct 3, 2002
I loved it, I wonder if they had any clue he was going to slam him that way. Colbert is the man.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: DonVito
I dunno - I think he pretty well lost the room with that long, pointless pre-produced video. His material wasn't bad, but that video really tanked.

Yeah, that sucked.

Everything before that was hilarious though.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
The funniest joke is bush claiming to be a repbulican.
forgive me, but i have to kindly disagree.

the funniest joke is the one bush pulled on all the people that voted to put him in office.

BBond

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Originally posted by: XMan
Originally posted by: BBond
I'll bet you really cracked up watching his WMD routine. :roll:

Never saw it. Did your post button get stuck?

You never saw it? Did your past button get stuck?

Mission Accomplished

For your edification. Although something tells me that edification is something you never saw either.

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Mission Accomplished

For your edification. Although something tells me that edification is something you never saw either.

Apparently you failed reading comprehension. I saw mission accomplished. I didn't see, as I said, the WMD skit, but I know what it is.

BBond

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004

Mission Accomplished

Apparently you failed reading comprehension. I saw mission accomplished. I didn't see, as I said, the WMD skit, but I know what it is.

Apparently you failed sarcasm comprehension. THIS IS bush's WMD routine.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: BlancoNino
Colbert is funny as hell!

One quick question, though.

Why does he claim to be a republican on his show?

I believe that's the joke...Colbert's show is kind of a pun on right wing commentary shows like O'Reilly and the Sean Hannity Show.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Wow, this guy has guts. It's one thing to blast people in a studio, it's another to do it right to their faces while they are frowning at you.

Good for him.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones
Well you guys bashing Bush, which would you choose?

Great President?
Or GREATEST President?

You have left an empty chair at the kids table, rush back before it gets too cold.

astrosfan90

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2005
I thought it was pretty funny, and all in good fun. I was surprised he didn't have more fun with Tony Snow though.

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003

Like in a medieval royal court only the Jester may speak the truth.

walrus

Golden Member
Dec 18, 2000
"I stand by this man. I stand by this man because he stands for things. Not only for things, he stands on things. Things like aircraft carriers and rubble and recently flooded city squares. And that sends a strong message, that no matter what happens to America, she will always rebound -- with the most powerfully staged photo ops in the world."

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
I've said it before and this just goes to confirm it (at least in my own head) - Colbert >> Stewart. Jon is still pretty funny, but it seems as though he has too much to lose, and that affects his performance. His schtick is getting repetitive and too blatantly obvious. Subtlety is much more humorous, IMO.

Colbert started very subtle with his show, and has now put it in overdrive and is steamrolling the administration, and often times, his own audience. Plus, while his interviews are often hit-n-miss, even his worsts are 10x better than Stewart's 10-minute public ass-kissings. The Colbert Report replaced The Daily Show on my Tivo's Season Pass several weeks ago, and I've yet to regret it.

That said, let us remember that this *was* the White House Correspondent Dinner - an event that often has humorous overtones, even at the expense of the President and the Media. Colbert definitely went both feet in, but this wasn't exactly an unheard-of type of address. You guys talking about "spitting in Bushler's face," have, unsurprisingly, missed the point entirely.

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
It wasn't just how he bashed Bush, I thought he was EASY on Bush proportionally to how much time he spent ripping into the press and everyone else...wheeeeew ...