Coffee Lake -- Yea or Nay?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Again, pretty much every unlocked skylake out there can clock to 4.6, 4.7Ghz easily, so Kaby being able to do 4.5Ghz turbo (on one core?) is pathetic.

Well, they got to save something for Kaby-X, y'know. I wouldn't expect Kaby to overclock to much more than 4.9 or 5 though.

Mar 10, 2006
Well, they got to save something for Kaby-X, y'know. I wouldn't expect Kaby to overclock to much more than 4.9 or 5 though.

4.9-5GHz would be a nice improvement over 6700K. I had several 6700Ks on good cooling and 4.6-4.7GHz was the limit that I was able to get. 4.8GHz was out of the question on all of my chips (boxed retail chips purchased at different times) without an obscene amount of voltage (~1.4v)

If Kaby can give a 4.9GHz-5GHz OC on reasonable cooling without needing to shove tons of volts down its throat, then that'd make it a good improvement. Not something worth throwing your 6700K out for, but if you're sitting there with a 4.8GHz SNB you can be able to upgrade w/o sacrificing frequency (i.e. getting the full benefit of the IPC improvement).

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011
4.9-5GHz would be a nice improvement over 6700K. I had several 6700Ks on good cooling and 4.6-4.7GHz was the limit that I was able to get. 4.8GHz was out of the question on all of my chips (boxed retail chips purchased at different times) without an obscene amount of voltage (~1.4v)

If Kaby can give a 4.9GHz-5GHz OC on reasonable cooling without needing to shove tons of volts down its throat, then that'd make it a good improvement. Not something worth throwing your 6700K out for, but if you're sitting there with a 4.8GHz SNB you can be able to upgrade w/o sacrificing frequency (i.e. getting the full benefit of the IPC improvement).

I had 3 i7 6700k's and you are spot on with the overclocking. Anything a past 4.5 required a good jump in voltage and anything beyond 4.6 required getting out of my comfort range for the voltage. I run at 4.5ghz.

Who knows I may try an i7 7700k not because I really need it but the OC'ing sure is fun.

Reactions: Arachnotronic
Mar 10, 2006
I had 3 i7 6700k's and you are spot on with the overclocking. Anything a past 4.5 required a good jump in voltage and anything beyond 4.6 required getting out of my comfort range for the voltage. I run at 4.5ghz.

Glad to know that I wasn't the only one! I was worried for a bit that I was just losing the silicon lottery...badly.

Who knows I may try an i7 7700k not because I really need it but the OC'ing sure is fun.

I'd like to see what users get on their 7700Ks. Some of the review sites talked about getting 4.8GHz on similar cooling to what I was using, but I just wasn't able to hit that. I hope 14nm+ pushes max OC frequency up. 5GHz on a 7700K would be sweet.

Mar 10, 2006
Well, they got to save something for Kaby-X, y'know.

Kaby X should have the advantage of being used in the LGA-2066 boards, which are designed for high TDP CPUs. I also wouldn't be surprised if Intel cherry picked the best dies, since they will likely charge a significant premium for the Kaby X over Kaby S.

Aug 20, 2015
Considering Coffee Lake is supposedly Kaby Lake with more cores and considering that Kaby Lake appears to literally be the same architecture as Skylake (only with an improved 14nm node), I see no reason to bother with Coffee Lake instead of just getting Skylake-X.

Their architectures should be identical if Coffee Lake is just Kaby Lake with more cores and there's no way Intel won't be using their improved 14nm process node for HEDT Skylake-X. So... Coffee Lake just seems like a late hexacore Skylake-X (early 2018 vs mid-late 2017) with no upgrade path to more cores, no solder, a smaller die size with weaker heat dissipation, and a worse platform (less PCI-E slots and no quad-channel RAM). Oh, and an iGPU I guess, but meh.

P.S. Skylake-X is a cooler name than Coffee Lake anything. :p

Last edited:

ehume

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2009
Does Coffee Lake come with its own GPU? Or is it like today's Xeon/HEDT and requires a dGPU?

unseenmorbidity

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2016
This is what I assume will happen if plans don't change.
Kabylake - Q4 2016
Coffeelake - Q2/Q3 2018
Cannonlake - Q4 2017

I assume since Cannonlake is the first 10nm part available on low power parts, and higher end Coffelake is significantly later, they'll go straight from Cannonlake to Icelake rather than creating further delays for the large core parts.

Wait, so they are going to make Skylake-e(14nm), then cannonlake (10nm), and then go back and do kabylake 14nm 6 core that would have identical performance as the Skylake-e!? Why?

iGPU is disabled. It's the same silicon as Coffee Lake-S, but in Socket R package.

Why would they disable the igpu? It takes up like 1/3 to 1/4 of the die space.

Last edited:

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Ah yes, that's why laptop makers only use single core CPUs, since adding more cores doesn't improve multi-threaded performance at all.

Seriously, quad core notebook CPUs perform a lot better than dual core ones in the same TDP, especially since these CPUs have sophisticated turbo implementations.
They do stick with dual core through an i3, i5 and i7 on mobile. Less cores on mobile is usually beneficial since idle cores would just waste power right?

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Wait, so they are going to make Skylake-e(14nm), then cannonlake (10nm), and then go back and do kabylake 14nm 6 core that would have identical performance as the Skylake-e!? Why?

There is no 6 core KBL. Only 6 core CFL. Anyway, the timeline I stated are based on the roadmap, and it ignores server/HEDT parts. You'll see Kabylake soon on U and mainstream desktop chips/enthusiast. Then Cannonlake comes to replace KBL on U chips. Little after that we'll see Coffelake replace Kabylake on mainstream desktop/enthusiast(again, not HEDT).

What happens on HEDT you say? I don't know. I am just extrapolating based on the roadmap shown earlier on this thread. Nothing about HEDT.

It's very messed up. Because "Moore's Law" is dying you see. I guess its more correct to say, "its way too freaking hard to be worth advancing much further". It was known for a time that KBL gets skipped on EP server chips and they go from SKL to CNL. But there's CFL. It suggests Intel's struggling with either 14nm, or 10nm, or even both! Does it suggest that they'll go with CFL EP, or still release it on CNL just later than expected? No one knows. I doubt even Intel, because that's how messed up it is.

And its not bad to suggest we'll see 6 core LGA115x and 6 core HEDT. Why? Because 6 core on HEDT will be entry. That's how it was up to Ivy Bridge. We had 4 core Ivy Bridge HEDT and 4 core Ivy Bridge LGA 115x.

Last edited:

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
And its not bad to suggest we'll see 6 core LGA115x and 6 core HEDT. Why? Because 6 core on HEDT will be entry. That's how it was up to Ivy Bridge. We had 4 core Ivy Bridge HEDT and 4 core Ivy Bridge LGA 115x.

What are the chances we will see Coffee Lake cpu on socket 1151?
We had a 22nm 4770 that turned into a 22nm 4790 refresh that turned into a 14nm 5775c on the 1150 socket.

Mabe we will see 14nm Skylake, 14nm Kabylake refresh, and finally a 6 core Coffee Lake 10nm on the 1151 socket?

thoughts?