Coffee Lake How fast will games run and at what settings?

techmanc

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2006
I am curious as to Coffee Lake actual gaming performance.

I have no clue as I always add a Nvidia GPU to my systems and I not seen a comparison based on the current games how well they compare.

Can we play say WoW with what highest settings the game would play?

I assume 4k gaming is out of the question.

Are game playing using any of the AA settings?

Well thats all the questions I can think at the moment so posting this thread Thanks.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
First, do you mean by itself with the built in intel graphics, or using a real GPU? Either way, we won't know for sure until the NDAs lift, possibly not until the October 5 release.

Fake intel GPU:

Supposedly about the same weak performance as Kaby Lake, enjoy your 720p for AAA.

Real GPU:

Based on the specs released today, both the 8700 and 8700K will be at least slightly faster than the 7700K at stock speed. The 8700 only runs at stock and we have no idea how well the 8700K will overclock.

That said, there's little real-world difference in most games other than the CPU load poster boy of "64 player Battlefield," it's the GPU that matters.

Reactions: Christopher Bohling

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
The iGPU's are still very strongly limited by the bandwidth they can get. Also the power draw. That very much goes for AMD too.

They might do a big iris pro style Coffee Lake which would be a chunk faster, but they might be waiting for 10nm for that.
(Also some odd rumours regarding Kaby lake based stuff with a built in GPU or something.).

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
seeing as Coffee-Lake is based on Kaby-Lake architecture, there should be no change to the 8-series IGP over the 7-series. the increase in performance would come only from the added cores in properly multi-threaded games. A good test case could be Destiny 2, according to a video on youtube from GDC'17, they went into great lengths in making the engine as multi-threaded as possible.

techmanc

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2006
seeing as Coffee-Lake is based on Kaby-Lake architecture, there should be no change to the 8-series IGP over the 7-series. the increase in performance would come only from the added cores in properly multi-threaded games. A good test case could be Destiny 2, according to a video on youtube from GDC'17, they went into great lengths in making the engine as multi-threaded as possible.

This is what I like to know running a game like Destiny 2 or my game of choice is WoW but I want to know more detail on the settings that can be used to play the game with decent framerates and what settings are being used to make that happen as I would people would want to know what game and settings work with the onboard graphics.

I know how the games are played using Nvidia GPUs so that is not I need to see in this thread.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
UHD630 is just a re-branding of HD630. The only difference we may see is a small bump in the IGP boost clock to 1.2ghz.

techmanc

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2006
UHD630 is just a re-branding of HD630. The only difference we may see is a small bump in the IGP boost clock to 1.2ghz.

What does that mean just think of I dont know any of the tech on the "intel onboard gpu" not even sure if that the right term is it IGP or how it preforms compared to older IGP playing any game out there or is this just nonsense using IGP to play any games at decent framerates and settings like at least 1080p

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
With Intel's 'standard' iGPU's, yes it is.

They do a range of them though and they have started doing a few ultra deluxe giant iGPU chips which are much faster. Still rather struggle at 1080p though.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
What does that mean just think of I dont know any of the tech on the "intel onboard gpu" not even sure if that the right term is it IGP or how it preforms compared to older IGP playing any game out there or is this just nonsense using IGP to play any games at decent framerates and settings like at least 1080p
There are many reviews of HD630 available on the internet. I linked one above.

IGP = Integrated Graphics Processor

Benches of the I7-6700K HD530 IGP, which is basically the same as HD630 and UHD630 except for clock rates and some video encoding decoding features.
It is compared to a low end graphics card.
The 5775C Broadwell chip in these benches has a much better IGP than we are talking about with Coffee Lake

https://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/14

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_HD_and_Iris_Graphics

Reactions: techmanc