Codes and Ciphers in the Second World War

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
I guess RC5 didn't start in 1997 but in the 1940s with the Enigma machine!:Q (well their both code cracking:p)

Btw I heard on the BBC news that Bletchley Park reckon the Enigma would beat current day PCs at cracking this new messege! ,they gotta be kidding right??:shocked: (btw some PCs are cracking this code).

Thx Ulli :)

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Uses what in 46s?:confused:

[edit]ah now I've read the text I see what you mean ,you meant he cracked it in 46s;)

During November 15, I could receive some of the Cipher Challenge messages and decrypt them after breaking the key (wheel settings). All sourcecode used is provided below. The Ada sources were compiled with GCC/GNAT. The PC used was a laptop with 1.4 GHz CPU, using NetBSD as the operating system. I used the antenna system and the radio transceiver of the club station DL0OV in Bonn to receive the transmissions.

Putting Colossus in a competition with modern computers may be a bit unfair. Colossus was an ingenious construction and a ladnmark in the history of computing. But technology has very much evolved since: When fed with a usable ciphertext, the quick_setting program provided below found the settings of all 12 wheels within 46 seconds.

And yea I thought it was daft & unfair too trying to match a 65yr+ old computer vs modern PCs:roll: ,though I suspect it may of been a bit tongue in cheek;)

Hey Ulli ,if you put in the title summary that RC5 started in the 1940s that might grab some extra attention;):laugh: