COD4 - well, that was quick

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zagood

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
COD4 SP was quick but satisfying. Kind of like me (or so my wife says)...

-z

WTurner

Feb 21, 2008
If you want a long FPS Deus Ex is the game for you. The graphics are bit dated though (game came out in 2001 IIRC).

TheInternet1980

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2006
Originally posted by: Dman877
Something might be wrong with your comp. Farcry looked good then and it still looks good today. It's definitely head-and-shoulders above the source engine. Maybe you just don't like the style that Farcry was rendered in. They went for a surreal experience with the lush tropical environment and glossy models...

That is definitely debateable.

Have you seen the source engine lately?

D

Deleted member 4644

The multiplayer is amazing. It can be a bit repetitive, but it is great for a half hour or an hour on a weekday afternoon.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
COD4 multiplayer is the shizzle. I'm not much for run-n-gun linear sp, so I didn't play much of it. But for what it tries to do, it does extremely well. MP is unmatched.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Lithan, something is wrong with your comp if Far Cry looks bad.

Where are people getting cheap copies of CoD4? I've been meaning to give the game a try, but I refuse to pay full price for a game that there's a good chance I won't like (I generally hate "realistic" games in any genre, especially shooters).

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Jeff7
I finally installed and played COD4: Modern Warfare. I'm glad I paid only $25 for it. I started it yesterday evening and just finished it, just 23hrs later. It probably took only about 8hrs to finish on the Regular difficulty setting. (The training mission recommended "Recruit" based on my performance in the trial runs. :eek:)
Nice graphics, though even at the lowest settings, it was a bit choppy at 1680x1050, 2xFSAA, on a Geforce 7600GT card, and a 2.4GHz C2D 6600 CPU.

Disabling the music took a quick Google search, and consequently renaming the MILES folder in the program directory. Why they didn't add a music volume control I don't know.
I also hated the delay between dying and being able to resume. Being pretty lousy in general at FPS games (slow reaction time + low framerate = bad news), I died quite frequently.

Interesting storyline, and a decent variation of gameplay - shooting turreted guns, stealth, shooting from a moving vehicle, and of course, melee attacks, though I found the latter to be of minimal use when your opponents have guns.

I couldn't imagine paying the full $50 for this game though. Maybe I was just spoiled by the Half Life games and their long playtimes. Granted, the episodes were much shorter, but they're also "episodes," and are cheaper than a full game.

Short game play, the main reason why I haven't picked up COD4 yet.