COD4 question for multiplayer aces.

Ordy

Nov 21, 2004
I have been playing COD4 for about a month now and I am wondering how long it takes to become one of the instant accuracy players I get killed by all the time? By instant accuracy I mean, moving in the right direction at the right time to get enemy players lined up for a kill, aiming, firing, killing and moving almost instantly. I've seen too many kill cam views of the instant aim and kill guys and it baffles me how they can be so fast. I've seen guys running, stop, bring up sights, and one shot me from 100 yards away. This is my first multiplayer FPS experience so I know I need work in allot of areas. I just want to get inside your heads and find out what you do to get that instant fire and kill ability. I am having a problem with reaction time and killing aim right now. If you and I meet in a suprise encounter 9 times out of 10 I will die and you will move on unharmed. It's been about a month and I am still slow and sloppy. I would hope you guys could give some insight on how to improve and actually become a real threat in the COD4 maps.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
practice?

these guys have probably been playing FPS games all their lives, multiple hours a day.
I've played a lot of FPS games over the years and I still get raped by these people.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I haven't played COD4 but that doesn't really matter... pontifex is right, practice. And more practice. There's other small variables that affect their skill (maybe they're playing on a fast system and yours is choppy sometimes? etc) but practice is the key: learn the weapons inside and out, maps inside and out (this is one thing I always think helps a ton), how other players move and play the game... you get the idea.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Just practice. I don't know if I'm as good as these guys you describe, but I'm usually in the top 3 players in a game. I've been playing FPS's since I had a computer - so around 6. That's 12 years of practice, and I use the computer a few hours a day. It was always kinda funny watching my dad play Doom 3 - my brother and I had to kill all of the bosses for him. The one thing I've noticed when other people play FPS's is that they don't seem to survey the world around them. They don't look around when they enter a room and they have no spacial awareness. Many people just shoot in place when moving while shooting would be better. It's like they forget the world is 3D.

Ordy

Nov 21, 2004
Yeah I still am lost when I respawn so I just need to get the maps memorized more. The game runs smooth as glass on my system with no graphics lag. All my problems are reaction time and aim/headshot speed. I appreciate the feedback.

Anyone else suffer from auto-revenge syndrome. When you kill someone and they seem to respawn right around the corner from you and kill you 2 or 3 times in a row right after? I get that allot.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Yep most of it is just practice like the others said, but I also think there's an element of confidence/perseverence involved. Sticking with it and having the confidence to know you can improve or be as good helps a lot, although its somewhat harder if this is your first FPS. For me I hadn't played any FPS hardcore in a while since SoF2/PlanetSide (a bit of CS:S inbetween) so I had to get back into "game" shape but I had a frame of reference to make it easier to get back there.

For a first-timer its going to be harder since it probably seems some people are doing the impossible. Its really not though and what you should do is try to simplify things before you go for the more difficult. I posted a few tips for someone who was pretty new to FPS in a different thread, but he also had the disadvantage of never using WASD in the past.

First, find a weapon you like. M4 or MP5 are excellent choices as they're full-auto and easy to use. M16 is also excellent although its burst-fire. LMGs are also good for beginners since they've got a fast RoF and a big clip. Key is to get used to the controls first, work on target recognition and firing and hitting a fixed position. If you're dying quickly don't be afraid to waste some ammo. If you know a guy is hiding behind a wall and may pop out, or there's bad guys flashing in and out of a hallway, fire in bursts before you see them. With any game, whether you're a vet or newb there's a learning curve when it comes to weapon mechanics and feedback if you're hitting or missing.

A few tips would be to go into an empty server and just move around. Point out a fixed position (maybe a small object/pixel in the distance) and fire on it. Displace, re-acquire target and hit it again. Displace/spin, go prone or crouch, then fire. Then work on firing and moving at the same time.

As you get better, "advanced" movements/techniques will become second nature and you'll do them subconsciously. When you can jump/strafe/fire and adjust to a moving target (ie your brain compensates for your movement and a target's movement subconsciously) you'll start to see yourself winning those 1v1s.

In live-action servers, again start simple. Minimize your movement and exposure to enemy fire. Try defending fixed strategic positions (camp) and getting the drop on other people first. Crouched or Prone (I don't like Prone personally, too stationary and vulnerable) with sights up and work on your aim and finishing skills (most weapons require more than 1 clean hit). Once you start getting better you can venture out and go for those constant action twitch killing sprees.

Anyways, hope that helps. With a positive mindset and practice, all that's left is the twitch abilities of moving a mouse cursor and your fingers. Some will always have the edge in that department, but that won't stop you from being a good player.

martensite

Aug 8, 2001
I am no pro, infact far from it, but I am not at the bottom of the heap either, so take the following FWIW. The single most important thing in COD4 IMHO is situational awareness, especially in HC mode, since you will die instantaneously if someone shoots you. And because these maps are urban combat maps, you really don't know who is hiding where unless you keep track of the UAV and your teammates. If you know where they are, who is dying (and how) and what is happening around you, you have an advantage. Once you know the maps well, you can almost predict what si going to happen before it happens and be in the right place at the right time. There are 'standard' routes and chokepoints for many of the maps, and it would help to learn them well.

I see a lot of new players making the mistake of simply rushing into battle without looking around them only to get shot around the next corner. And this is just after their teammate has just got shot at the same place a second ago.:frown:

As for running and shooting, practice, practice, practice. Also resist the urge to hold down the fire key till your mag is empty, because the recoil can screw up your aim pretty badly. Other stuff...comfortable posture, a good mouse and monitor, high fps etc also helps a lot. In my particular case, changing my chair to a better one helped my game a lot because I was more comfortable and able to handle the mouse better...lol.:p

martensite

Aug 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Ordy
Yeah I still am lost when I respawn so I just need to get the maps memorized more. The game runs smooth as glass on my system with no graphics lag. All my problems are reaction time and aim/headshot speed.

Tinker with the mouse sensitivity and a good mousepad until you find the settings that give the best result. It helped me a bit. I also like my deathadder, it feels more comfortable and lighter than my old MX518 (or maybe the contour is better, I don't know) so I am able to flick it around much faster and adjust aim quickly. YMMV as usual....

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante
Just practice. I don't know if I'm as good as these guys you describe, but I'm usually in the top 3 players in a game. I've been playing FPS's since I had a computer - so around 6. That's 12 years of practice, and I use the computer a few hours a day. It was always kinda funny watching my dad play Doom 3 - my brother and I had to kill all of the bosses for him. The one thing I've noticed when other people play FPS's is that they don't seem to survey the world around them. They don't look around when they enter a room and they have no spacial awareness. Many people just shoot in place when moving while shooting would be better. It's like they forget the world is 3D.

i have a friend that i play fps games with and whiel he's played a bunch, he hasn't played as much as me and he doesn't play online against other people, except for me.

he tends to just stand there and shoot. i'm moving back and forth while shooting and usually kill him. while standing still offers you better accuracy, you're just a sitting duck for the other people.

he also doesn't seem to realize that shooting in bursts help either.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: pontifex
It certainly helps in COD4, but its not as important as other games I've played. Nozzle rise on some weapons is horrendous from go, like the MP44 and M14 for instance. Other weapons like the M4/P90 have very little recoil/nozzle rise and maintain a tight CoF even on full auto. I find burst-firing helps most though by limiting muzzle flash.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Originally posted by: pontifex

i have a friend that i play fps games with and whiel he's played a bunch, he hasn't played as much as me and he doesn't play online against other people, except for me.

he tends to just stand there and shoot. i'm moving back and forth while shooting and usually kill him. while standing still offers you better accuracy, you're just a sitting duck for the other people.

Exactly. I like the full-auto weapons, but I only use full-auto in close quarters. Shooting in bursts of 2 or 3 shots keeps you accurate and doesn't waste too much ammo.

Also a tip: If someone runs behind a wall, try to guess where they are. It's very disorienting to be shot from behind a wall.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
COD4 has a fairly steep learning curve and can be extremely frustrating. I've gotten a lot better quick but I've played FPS games for thousands of hours over a long time.

Stick to smaller games. They are less hectic and you won't die every couple of seconds from spammed airstrikes, helos, and grenades.

Try out hardcore servers. It might be better for you, since there is less UAV and you can move around the map more sneaky, stay hidden and take your time to aim since they will go down with only a couple of shots. Or it could be more difficult, but its worth a shot.

Use the UAV a lot. I think a lot of good players watch it constantly. One thing is it very useful for is shooting at people behind walls. Arm one of the LMGs and the Deep Impact perk and unload in the general direction of a bunch of players behind a wall or object. You'll be surprised how many people you can kill. I actually enjoyed using the LMGs quite a bit when I started as I found it a bit easier to stay back hidden and unload as needed.

Do everything you can to get a 5 kill streak. Even now, if I'm not doing too hot but I get 3 or 4 kills, I run back out of harms way and be patient, doing everything I can to pick off someone under the safety of not being on the front line. Cause once you get 5, the airstrike you get will almost always net you a several kills, which with just two more you get a heli. It's a good feeling to get that 10 kill streak when you are used to getting owned and not getting more than 1 or 2.

General tips that apply to most FPS games is to fire in bursts, move smartly (this means knowing the maps well) and know the angles of where you are exposed and such. It can be very nice in COD4 to be patient and move slowly until you find a spot where you are fairly safe but have a good view on where enemies will pass. At least I found that better for me at the start than just arming an assault rifle and running in. Because as you said, you are dead before you can even adjust your aim and fir eon them.

Aug 15, 2007
1. Learn the maps
2. Stick to a decent assault rifle (probably the carbine if you're still a bit noobish) and get hold of the red dot sight, which makes 100% different to your aiming ability. Make sure you add any perks you have gotten hold of to increase damage.

GQMan

Dec 4, 2007
I dont know what other advise to give you as the others have given you everything that can and will help you get better. I myself am very new to the COD series and this being only my second FPS shooter besides Halo which I played for 3 years and I tried CS:S but just couldn't get used to the controls and I guess didn't want to try anymore. Anyways, my advise to you is obviously practice, but also to learn the maps and learn the keys on keyboard (I am the one who was at a disadvantage of using the WSAD keys). I had to get the MX518 as it has the extra 2 buttons on side plus i can adjust the sensitivity while in game which is amazing. I used to get owned the first 2 weeks I played online and I was getting very frustrated and annoyed but I then started getting better and am now on lvl 30. I play maybe an hour or 2 at most during weekdays and dont play too much due to my work schedule and wedding plans, but I have logged in 26 hours so far and have had the game since Day 1. My weapon of choice is M4 with red dot and I love using that gun and am getting better with it. I usually play on Crash (Favourite map) Ambush, District, strike, crossfire, and countdown and I usually play on small servers like 20 ppl or even 14-16 ppl server. The way I got better was playing on Hardcore and I became more aware of my surroundings because one shot just kills you in HC and I dont run and gun anymore, most of the time I use crouch and use it a lot. There are times where I still get owned but there has been numerous times where I get very good amount of kills and usually end up in top 3. I just wish if maps were a little bigger especially with more than 20 ppl server it sometimes is very difficult to be strategic because opposing players are everywhere.

But the best thing to do in your situation is to play on HC servers. Hope that helps a little :), Good Luck.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
learn the maps inside and out. learn the most common places the enemy will come from at the start of a round. play games that help your aim/reaction time (flash games online, or quake 3 for example). then play the game a whole lot and you will slowly learn the nuances of certain maps/gametypes/games.

badnewcastle

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2004
Been playing FPS's since the original Wolfenstien. I can handle my own but we all get pwned...

All I have to say is PRACTICE, practice some more, know your maps, know your weapons, practice some more with that knowledge and you will learn to predict what others are doing.

I also grew up playing hockey and most penalties were called when the offending player stopped moving his/her feet. I follow that rule in FPS's too, ALWAYS KEEP MOVING!!!