CoD: BO is terrible. Don't buy it.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
So i play Bad company 2. Great online play, smooth, easy on the eyes, good times. Everything just works.

So someone gifted me BO on steam to play online with them. This is the worst game i have ever played online. The graphics models terrible even with settings all the way up (yes i have good system and drivers are fine), the game play even with GTX 480 is terrible, frames drop online, even if someone has a good ping they skip around like its "ice skating online".

Don't get me started on Mouse settings, they are so messed up its not even funny, you don't ever get a "feel" for a right settings because they are all messed up. I turn up mouse to 3000dpi and mouse sen in game to max and its like i'm turning a tank in spot. wtf lol

Maps? It feels like every map is just warehouse size. Its so small you can lob a nade across most of them. The mechanics are just so wrong. Its pretty bad you can defend capture spot..FROM THE SPAWN. lol

Single player i tried for a hour, but it was so boring. Might as well watched a episode of Chuck. At least then i can see hot chicks and action. Its so scripted you don't even have to do anything hardly.

I seriously don't see what people saw in this game.
1. Terrible controls.
2. Subpar graphics.
3. Sound is messed up in game. Lots of missing effects if you listen.
4. Online gameplay is no fun, most games revolve around just killing each other, even if its CtF or whatever. Everything is spray and pray because mouse settings are bad.

Good things about game.
1. It was free.

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
Absolutely no problemo, not even in s3D.
Almost to the highest setting in my HTPC.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
So i gave it another shot. wow this game is worse than i first described. That Dom map that looks like a target range, I watched one guy for 40-2 just by shooting through all the walls. Every wall on "map" was shoot through. lol

This game is terrible.

Vsync is off by default noob btw.

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
Well if its turning like a tank then you clearly have issues. Mouse settings are perfectly fine.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
graphics and controls are fine to me. no problems there. Other than the stuttering issue I like it.

Peppered

Jul 3, 2009
I just think the maps are way to small, it is like If i see you first then you are dead or like wise, and once you kill some one you get killed next. Unless you find a decent spot to camp and get a few kills in , but that doesn't last long and isn't to much fun. I downloaded BC 2 last night from steam for 10 bucks I played the beta but was to involved in WOW at that time to buy the game at release I seem to have a lot more fun playing BC 2. it is more team based and has large maps.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
no issues here at all.. steady 120fps maxed out fast paced fun.

plays just like MW2..

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010
meh.ro5380.jpg

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Its not just me with mouse problems, its terrible if you read steam forums.

I never played call of duty games till this one, maybe they are all crappy like that and people got used to them. But its not smooth at all.

Also what is up with the guns taking up so much screen space? 1900x1200 and sometimes people run up to you and its like covering them. lol
Love how the handguns point straight in front of you. classy. Its like the stole a mannequin from Macys and put a prop gun on it and copied it to game. lol

Is that pic from a TV show? lol

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
So i play Bad company 2. Great online play, smooth, easy on the eyes, good times. Everything just works.

So someone gifted me BO on steam to play online with them. This is the worst game i have ever played online. The graphics models terrible even with settings all the way up (yes i have good system and drivers are fine), the game play even with GTX 480 is terrible, frames drop online, even if someone has a good ping they skip around like its "ice skating online".

Don't get me started on Mouse settings, they are so messed up its not even funny, you don't ever get a "feel" for a right settings because they are all messed up. I turn up mouse to 3000dpi and mouse sen in game to max and its like i'm turning a tank in spot. wtf lol

Maps? It feels like every map is just warehouse size. Its so small you can lob a nade across most of them. The mechanics are just so wrong. Its pretty bad you can defend capture spot..FROM THE SPAWN. lol

Single player i tried for a hour, but it was so boring. Might as well watched a episode of Chuck. At least then i can see hot chicks and action. Its so scripted you don't even have to do anything hardly.

I seriously don't see what people saw in this game.
1. Terrible controls.
2. Subpar graphics.
3. Sound is messed up in game. Lots of missing effects if you listen.
4. Online gameplay is no fun, most games revolve around just killing each other, even if its CtF or whatever. Everything is spray and pray because mouse settings are bad.

Good things about game.
1. It was free.

I agree with everything this says, particularly subpar graphics, this is why my name for it is CoD Blops.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Its not just me with mouse problems, its terrible if you read steam forums.

I never played call of duty games till this one, maybe they are all crappy like that and people got used to them. But its not smooth at all.

Also what is up with the guns taking up so much screen space? 1900x1200 and sometimes people run up to you and its like covering them. lol
Love how the handguns point straight in front of you. classy. Its like the stole a mannequin from Macys and put a prop gun on it and copied it to game. lol

Is that pic from a TV show? lol

nope, just you and these supposed other people. mouse works perfectly fine for me in this CoD game and all previous ones.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
As far as the game play and map size is concerned thats all your preference (though the spawn "system" is pretty broken).

The technical issues though are far beyond acceptable.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2118902

Take a look around the callofduty.com forums. Most of the posts are either about technical/performance/lag/stutter issues, or people raving about how they want their money back.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
glad I held off on this turdpile.

The marketing blitz almost had me,... which is why I should have known to pass.

Appreciate the heads up.

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
glad I held off on this turdpile.

The marketing blitz almost had me,... which is why I should have known to pass.

Appreciate the heads up.

Yep I did the same, I've played it for a while glad I didn't buy it. This is why it deserves the name CoD Blops, spread the word.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
I just tried this game at a friend.

This is like a bad Uwe Boll movie...with heavy consolittis...

Eugene86

Dec 18, 2007
I loved the single player and multiplayer in COD4. I loved the single player but hated the multiplayer in MW2. Then I got this game simply to play the singleplayer and see where the story heads this time around. I loved the storyline, but my god, this game is terrible in every other sense.
The graphics, as mentioned above, are sub-par at best. Some of the animations in the scripted sequences suck.
The sound is absolutely horrible. There is no positioning to it at all. If there is a character standing to your left and he is speaking to you, it sounds like he's just sitting right on top of you.
The voice acting was sub-par as well. Compared to MW and MW2, its just trash. A lot of times there is just no emotion when there should be and it just sounded like the characters are reading a script.
The weapon sounds suck as well and just not well done.
Also, as mentioned above by others, most of the missions just play themselves out. The funniest one was at the beginning when you're being chased by the Cuban police. There is a part where a police car flips over and you have to run across the street to run away. The police have a roadblock set up and are all shooting at you but every single bullet whizzes right past you. It was ridiculous.

I pray that the next COD won't be based in the future, as rumors suggest.

MentalIlness

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2009
Mouse is perfectly fine for me as well. Logitech G5. Going on 4 years with this mouse.

And I love the game. Maybe the game just don't like whiners ? :)

To each his own opinion.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Mouse is perfectly fine for me as well. Logitech G5. Going on 4 years with this mouse.

And I love the game. Maybe the game just don't like whiners ? :)

To each his own opinion.

This games belongs on console, not a PC...perhaps you should stop using your PC and get a crapbox? :whiste:

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
I've only played the single player for like an hour. This game takes 'on rails' to a whole new level. If you try to do anything other than what the game wants it's pretty much insta death.

I'm having lots of fun with the multiplayer though despite it's issues. I agree the maps are too small. They were made for 12 player xbox games, not 18 player pc games.

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
Seems to me that these days if a game comes out on consoles along with the PC, it belongs only on a console.

While I agree that the single player was very scripted and "on rails", it was still fun, but not amazing.

Multiplayer is very fun, only maps I think are too small is Nuketown and Firing range. The rest are just fine for 18 players. To me it feels like Unreal with semi-realistic guns. Very fast paced.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
The trippy physiological thriller story was not the right choice for single player. And, am I the only one who thought the dialogue between Mason and the interrogator like listening to nails on a chalk board? Sounded like a reject episode of Ren and Stimpy. And I never shot so many friendly before in any other game. Not sure if it was intentional, but it seemed like I was surrounded and the only difference between the good and bad was their hats.

And yes, I get stutters in MP too. Though I live with it. It's just a game, and I realized the good ol' times of COD4 is long gone.

Last edited: