COD: Advanced Warfare - 4GB vRAM strikes again!

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
http://www.pcgamer.com/call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-recommended-system-specs-revealed/

OS: Windows 7 64-Bit / Windows 8 64-Bit / Windows 8.1 64-Bit
Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K @ 3.30GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 @ 4GB
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 55 GB available space
Sound Card: 100% DirectX 9.0c Compatible 16-bit

Welcome to next-gen, where sloppy ports are IT. :awe:

SimianR

Mar 10, 2011
http://www.pcgamer.com/call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-recommended-system-specs-revealed/

OS: Windows 7 64-Bit / Windows 8 64-Bit / Windows 8.1 64-Bit
Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K @ 3.30GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 @ 4GB
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 55 GB available space
Sound Card: 100% DirectX 9.0c Compatible 16-bit

Welcome to next-gen, where sloppy ports are IT. :awe:

Those are the recommended specs, though. The minimums are much more forgiving:

• Minimum:
    • OS: Windows 7 64-Bit / Windows 8 64-Bit / Windows 8.1 64-Bit
    • Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-530 @ 2.93 GHz / AMD Phenom™ II X4 810 @ 2.60 GHz
    • Memory: 6 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTS 450 @ 1GB / ATI® Radeon™ HD 5870 @ 1GB
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Hard Drive: 55 GB available space
    • Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
    • Additional Notes: Field of View ranges from 65°-90°.
I guess I don't think it's too big of a deal if a dev is recommending a 4gb card for an optimal experience. I remember last fall when people were coming here that the general recommendation was that if you were buying a new card 4gb was the way to go because next-gen ports were right around the corner.

I do kind of wonder where they come up with the minimum GPU's though.. a GTS 450 and a Radeon 5870 aren't even close to the same thing, performance wise.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Not sure what I dislike most about the ports.

Standard ~50GB sizes nomatter if its needed or not, usually not.
Some directly PC sabotaged after Sony/MS pressure.
The outright crazytown specs and slight changes to fool the unknowning person.
30FPS caps and FPS linked directly to the game functions. Aka. increase to 60FPS for example and game behaves odd.
Console prices for PC games.

It has to be said the game can be played on 1GB cards and dualcores, but require 6GB system memory.

With all that, remember to vote with your wallet. Buying these bad console ports just mean you support it. Simply spend your money on other games. Else it will never change.

Last edited:

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
Not sure what I dislike most.

Standard ~50GB sizes nomatter if its needed or not. Usually not even half of that is even needed.
Some directly PC sabotaged after Sony/MS pressure.
The outright crazytown specs and slight changes to fool the unknowning person.

It has to be said the game can be played on 1GB cards and dualcores, but require 6GB system memory.

Those sizes drive me up the wall. Over here in Australia I'm lucky to hit 1.7MB/s with Steam so a 5hr single player campaign takes around 6hrs to download and install. The SSD space is irrelevant but all that time for uncompressed audio is retarded. That 6GB memory thing is stupid too, there is nothing in a COD shooter that requires that much RAM.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Those sizes drive me up the wall. Over here in Australia I'm lucky to hit 1.7MB/s with Steam so a 5hr single player campaign takes around 6hrs to download and install. The SSD space is irrelevant but all that time for uncompressed audio is retarded. That 6GB memory thing is stupid too, there is nothing in a COD shooter that requires that much RAM.

The sizes are really silly. Specially considering the digital delivery and SSDs.

I can download from steam with 15MB/sec myself and got a 480GB SSD. So Internet is not the issue, SSD is somewhat an issue but manageable.

However its simply a princip. Why do I need 20-35GB of crap added for no reason at all with 0 functionality. Its like buying a car and getting an attached caravan you cant disconnect or use.

Rezist

Jun 20, 2009
The sizes are really silly. Specially considering the digital delivery and SSDs.

I can download from steam with 15MB/sec myself and got a 480GB SSD. So Internet is not the issue, SSD is somewhat an issue but manageable.

However its simply a princip. Why do I need 20-35GB of crap added for no reason at all with 0 functionality. Its like buying a car and getting an attached caravan you cant disconnect or use.

Well in the days of capped internet it's kinda crazy, I'm surprised disc sales haven't come back. For some people 50GB of data could be worth a fair chunk of money.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
I doubt Activision even cares. COD does poorly on the PC sales wise compared to titles like Battlefied, their bread and butter is console.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999

Stop trying to store your games on SSDs. These games are meant to be played off of HDDs, fairly low performing ones at that.

Enigmoid

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2012

You are lucky. My internet tops out at 500 KB/sec. A 50 GB game would take me more than a day to download.

For a new game at release price it makes more sense for me to buy the disk, especially with a data cap.

Which is why I generally don't download games that big.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
Stop trying to store your games on SSDs. These games are meant to be played off of HDDs, fairly low performing ones at that.

Pffft I have a single 500GB EVO in my gaming box purely for games and 2 x 1TB EVOs for my work system . . . . . HDDs can all die off, the load time improvements and dead silence is well worth the price.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011

LOL i know i need a new storage drive,i got only a 180gb intel ssd and a old 80gb ide. BF4,BF3 and Titanfall is about all it would take in my library to fill my 180gb.:biggrin:

Been fortunate to be the person who first jumped on 1tb and 2tb drives when they first debuted,both from seagate and both failing within a year. A bit like the IBM "DeathStar" 75GXP if you will lol. Wouldn't know what to buy today,when did the first 2tb seagate debute anyways cause its been that long since i had a mechanical.^_^

Erenhardt

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2012
I dont own a HD. Those relics are for the museum crowd ^^

Then why tears? Just grab 2x 500GB SSDs and be done with it.

The only problem is in areas with slow internet connection, where downloading 50GB game will take a week. Its faster to go and buy physical disc in shop, install of the disk and activate it later on steam.

Digital distribution will suffer (I hope)

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Then why tears? Just grab 2x 500GB SSDs and be done with it.

The only problem is in areas with slow internet connection, where downloading 50GB game will take a week. Its faster to go and buy physical disc in shop, install of the disk and activate it later on steam.

Digital distribution will suffer (I hope)

You didnt read my post I guess.

I didnt complain about lacking space. However inefficiency doesnt belong anywhere.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
I dont own a HD. Those relics are for the museum crowd ^^

So you store movies and music on an expensive SSD? Most people who have media require HDDs unless one can afford to spend thousands of dollars for media storage. Not to mention with games at 50GB+, all it takes is 20 of such games to fill a 1TB of storage which costs $400 (dual MX100s). But then you are back to square one - where to store all the media files? If all you have are 10 games on your PC and no media, then sure an SSD is sufficient. The difference in loading games between a modern 7200 rpm drive and an SSD is not that large. An SSD is most beneficial for OS and multi-tasking. Actually in games an SSD is one of the least important components.

Last edited:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
So you store movies and music in an expensive SSD? Most people who have media require HDDs unless one can afford to spend thousands of dollars for media storage. Not to mention with games at 50GB+, all it takes is 20 of such games to fill a 1TB of storage which costs $400 (dual MX100s). But then you are back to square one - where to store all the media files? If all you have are 10 games on your PC and no media, then sure an SSD is sufficient. The difference in loading games between a modern 7200 rpm drive and an SSD is not that large. An SSD is most beneficial for OS and multi-tasking. Actually in games an SSD is one of the least important components.

SSDs aint expensive. And yes, all 4 PCs in the home got SSDs only. Including the HTPC.

On the other hand we dont backup half the internet either.

I have more than 10 games installed. They dont take up much space. The lastest Borderlands Pre Sequal is only 5.7GB for example. Rome 2 must be the biggest one at 25GB.

Last edited: