Cockpit pics of ANA 787

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
I profess I know squat about flying a plane, but I can't believe we haven't advanced beyond toggle switches and knobs. Why aren't those replaced with touchscreens or at least keypads?

lots of reasons, mainly because toggle switches have a failure rate so low that one could say they never fail. plus the tactile aspect. dont really know if you hit 20 degree flap on a touch screen compared to pulling a big fat lever down 4 clicks.

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
lots of reasons, mainly because toggle switches have a failure rate so low that one could say they never fail. plus the tactile aspect. dont really know if you hit 20 degree flap on a touch screen compared to pulling a big fat lever down 4 clicks.

This, and also all the major systems have a number of fail safes and alternative methods of control in case of failure. For example a number of jets have the ability to manually lower landing gear in case of some sort of system failure.

crab

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2001
This is not very well written.

For instance "The autopilot controls are located on the glare shield panel above the glass panel displays. The knob in the middle selects which system will be active for input from the pilot."

Its actually to change the airspeed selected in the window above.

InverseOfNeo

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2000
This is not very well written.

For instance "The autopilot controls are located on the glare shield panel above the glass panel displays. The knob in the middle selects which system will be active for input from the pilot."

Its actually to change the airspeed selected in the window above.

Taken from a comment to the article:
Agreed. It's obvious the person who wrote this had no knowledge about planes. Plus, the writing is about middle school-level.... Very trite, to boot. Did the author not know that a 787 won't fly at 136KIAS?

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

ahhh, makes sense particularly the tactile aspect.

Oct 25, 2006
I profess I know squat about flying a plane, but I can't believe we haven't advanced beyond toggle switches and knobs. Why aren't those replaced with touchscreens or at least keypads?

Why increase the complexity of something that really doesn't need to be better.

Don't fix what isn't broken.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
i'm not seeing any cup holders :hmm:

Look again. :)

1938962.jpg

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Oh, it has a 250-ish seat capacity. I thought it was something stupid like the A380 holiding 500 people. Let's at least try to limit the losses when shit happens...

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Oh, it has a 250-ish seat capacity. I thought it was something stupid like the A380 holiding 500 people. Let's at least try to limit the losses when shit happens...

747's were flying with 500 people aboard long ago...

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

Well, there are benefits to having controls that actually control stuff instead of just flying by wire. If a system fails you can still control the aircraft with manual controls.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
i'm not seeing any cup holders :hmm:

Well at least you have air hostesses:D
http://celebritypile.com/scandals/cathay-pacific-sex-scandal-photos/

nsfw..obviously

Be warned: I got an interstitial for a camwhoring website, so, a bit more than NSFW. Unlinked so people have to work to go there.

ATOT Moderator ElFenix

Last edited by a moderator:

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Well at least you have air hostesses:D

nsfw..obviously

Be warned: I got an interstitial for a camwhoring website, so, a bit more than NSFW. Unlinked so people have to work to go there.

ATOT Moderator ElFenix

Ah lol, well luckily I have flash block on:p