Coby DP102 - 10" Photo Frame $134.99 at Buy.com

niji1875

Aug 31, 2006
Coby DP102 - 10" Photo Frame - Displays Images or MP3/MP4 Files $134.99 + Free Shipping + No Tax (Except CA, MD, MA, and TN)

Link

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
Damn.. not too bad.. and I want one.

But.. WTF is Coby? Last time I saw that brand, it was for headphones at a dollar store that were made to look exactly like Sony headphones.. Are they a legit company now?

Brand be damned.. I think I'm in for one.

airjrdn

Mar 9, 2001
Amazon has it for the same price here - http://www.amazon.com/Coby-DP102-Widescreen-Digital-Player/dp/B000MFG44Y

A couple of additional thoughts - 1 it's widescreen, and your 4:3 camera photos are going to have to be cropped or stretched. This can be a pain for many people. 2 - Don't think it's going to play DivX, regardless of the claim. 3 - There's no mention of resolution, and anything less than at "least" 640x480 on a frame this size will look bad.

Tomer

Dec 5, 2001
Digital photo frames? Let me tell you about these digital photo frames, they are real hot button for me.

My wife is decidedly low tech. There is high tech, low tech and no tech, so I guess it could be worse.

Right before Xmas she saw a digital photo frame in an advertisement and commented it was cool. Being as I had wanted to get one for months I jumped all over it for a gift for her (me?)

Anyhow, I got this one from Staples. I paid about $50 for it.
http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/store...ngId=-1&productId=156290&cmArea=SEARCH

It may have been one of the worst electronics experiences of my life.

The pictures looked like sh1t, muddy and washed out but beyond that, and more importantly, the resolution was *not* 640x480, as they claim and which would have been great. It was the same 480x234 that every other cheap frame uses. What they are doing is using the same widescreen panel that everyone uses in those cheap portable DVD players even though the Staples listing showed (still does) that the display was the same aspect ratio as most cameras take.

Now you might ask, how do you *know* the resolution? Well being so surprised how grainy and nasty the photos looked I, get this, scanned in the panel at high resolution and counted the pixels.

Even more than the lying about the resolution though was the widescreen format. I may be a rube, but to me the whole idea of a photo frame is to look at, well,,,,, PHOTOS. Now maybe some cameras take real nice widescreen photos, but every digital camera I have ever owned and every one that my friends or family have take regular aspect ratio photos. Again, those widescreen panels are cheap since they are used by the millions of cheap portable DVD players, so that is what they use.

The issue is the frame tries to crop the photo with disastrous results. I even spent 5 hours one night trying to find the exact resolution the frame wanted so it would not resize my photos. Now you would think that it would be the native resolution of the panel that I scanned and counted, but you would be wrong. Every time I would change the size of the photo by a pixel or two the frame would resize it and leave black bars either top and bottom or on the sides.

I even called the manufacturer and they were clueless.

In addition, Coby really, really sucks. I have one of their portable DVD players and besides being junk, it skips, locks up and the picture looks grainy and washed out.

With all due respect to the OP, *do not* buy this Coby POS.

The problem is there appears to be only one truly higher resolution digital photo frame that people rave about but it costs a mint. It has the correct aspect ratio and an excellent display and is made by Philips.

What was really annoying about my experience is that the frame I tried was that it had some other real cool features. It had slick transitions, it would play an MP3 while displaying the photos, it had a remote, etc.

But in the end you buy a frame to display photos and it did a horrible job of that as I believe the Coby in this thread would.

To the OP, I am *not* a thread crapper and sorry to rain on the parade, but after the fiasco I went through I never want anyone else to make the same mistake. There is a reason they aren?t telling the resolution, because it sucks.

There is a *huge* market for an affordable quality digital photo frame. I hope someone taps that market this year.

Tomer

Dec 5, 2001
Thanks for the heads up. Looks like a nice frame indeed but a bit pricey at $175.

True 640x480 gives a nice look though.

The refurbs look like a good deal.

Frintin

Oct 3, 2002
A great price for a good digital photo frame is what everyone would be happy with. A great price on a Coby product not so much. I know in the area I live Coby is a low quality manufacturer or gadgets that would be handy if they worked (small portable tv's, audio equipment, etc.)

I love a bargain but price is only one of the factors involved. Let's all keep looking for that digital photo frame bargain, we all want them all over our house!

Tomer

Dec 5, 2001
If they would roll a good one out at $69.95 they could sell more than they could make.

I'd say my "limit" would be around $100. I'd go another $15 if I could wirelessly transfer my photos. ;)

I?ll predict on the next 5 years they will become dirt cheap.

Sniper82

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
When I hear the name Coby when it comes to electronics I think of DVD players. Thats all I've seen them make around here.

cheap

Sep 30, 2002
Originally posted by: Tomer
Anyhow, I got this one from Staples. I paid about $50 for it.
It may have been one of the worst electronics experiences of my life.

Um, how could you expect to get a good frame for $50 last year? Last year before xmas to buy a good 8" frame for both of my sisters i spent $160 on each. 800x600 res, it costs $99 on amazon today.

queequeg99

Oct 17, 2001
Tomer, between all the toe dipping and hedging, I couldn't really figure out where you ultimate stand on Coby picture frames. Can you please be a bit more clear?

On another note, Costco has what appears to be a decent frame on sale. The ViewSonic 8" DPG807BK SwifTouchTM. 800x600 resolution according the printed specs. $80 until the 15th. Reviews on the Costco website appears to commend the picture quality, with cons being the glossy screen and lack of random picture display.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Walmart has a pretty decent deal on one rightnow.
picture frame
$99 10.2" screen

* Black Wooden Frame
* 1024 x 768 Resolution
* Photo Show, Clock, Calendar
* 128MB of Internal Memory
* Card Reader & USB connector
* Remote Control
* VESA Wall Mountable

I ordered one yesterday.