Coast guard fires on boats in potomac river

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: RyanPaulShaffer
White House Chastises CNN

"White House press secretary Robert Gibbs chastised CNN Friday morning for its reporting on a Coast Guard training exercise on ...

... the Potomac River, which suggested a security incident was in progress in the nation's capital.

"Before we report things like this, checking would be good," Gibbs said."

:laugh: @ CNN

I can't fault CNN. CNN was listening to the same scanners that anyone else can listen to. They heard the whole thing play out and not once was there any warning that it was a training exercise. What if somebody near by had heard that and reacted, people could have been hurt.

The FAA even stopped flights because of it.
Way to coordinate Coast Guard.

It reminds me of that stunt they pulled with the planes in NY earlier this year for a photo op.

RyanPaulShaffer

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Modelworks

"White House press secretary Robert Gibbs chastised CNN Friday morning for its reporting on a Coast Guard training exercise on ...

... the Potomac River, which suggested a security incident was in progress in the nation's capital.

I can't fault CNN. CNN was listening to the same scanners that anyone else can listen to. They heard the whole thing play out and not once was there any warning that it was a training exercise. What if somebody near by had heard that and reacted, people could have been hurt.

It reminds me of that stunt they pulled with the planes in NY earlier this year for a photo op.

Hence, Gibbs' statement that CNN should have checked the info before reporting on it and causing hysteria over nothing.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007

Hence, Gibbs' statement that CNN should have checked the info before reporting on it and causing hysteria over nothing.

But that wouldn't make for sensational news now would it, duh.

heymrdj

Diamond Member
May 28, 2007

Why should there have been hysteria? I'm not stupid enough to think BOOM run like hell. You'll probably run into something that will kill you going that route. Besides, a coast guard ship firing doesn't exactly strike fear in me as I know it has no purpose aiming *at* me.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
teh news media over reacting and not getting the facts? shocking i tell you! shocking!

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
What if it's a case where something was really going on, and the White House / Coast Guard is passing it off as a "training exercise" to cover up what's actually happening?

/tinfoil

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Wow, if it was Fox that screwed up as bad as CNN just did, this forum would be all over them. (P&N)

heymrdj

Diamond Member
May 28, 2007
Originally posted by: OCguy
Wow, if it was Fox that screwed up as bad as CNN just did, this forum would be all over them. (P&N)

I hate all news stations equally.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Kadarin
What if it's a case where something was really going on, and the White House / Coast Guard is passing it off as a "training exercise" to cover up what's actually happening?

/tinfoil

if they fired, and then said they didnt... this is very likely.