Coast guard fires on boats in potomac river

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Not sure of all the details, but cnn is showing the coast guard has fired on boats in the river. Probably someone who forgot / didn't know that some areas are off limits, but it's 9/11 so who knows.

edit: Coast guard now calling it a training exercise.

9/11 with the president nearby doing a speech and they stage a training exercise.

ghost recon88

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2005
Yea, just saw this on CNN a bit ago and was surprised there were no threads yet. I'm still waiting for more details on it. Last I heard CNN reported the Coast Guard had fired 10 rounds at this boat.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage
At the boat, or in front of the bow?

At the boat. They radio'd it and no response and told it to stop via bullhorn and no response.

Could be just a boat broke loose from the dock.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
oh my, the coast guard is saying it was a training exercise. Smart, do a training exercise on 9/11. Maybe they should stage a mock hijacking today.

ghost recon88

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2005
Only a training exercise the Coast Guard says.

Coast Guard Conducts Training Exercise on Potomac

Developing: The Coast Guard was conducting a training exercise in the Potomac River moments before President Obama and his motorcade crossed a nearby bridge. Coast Guard Chief Keith Moore said Friday no shots were fired as part of the exercise. Media reports suggested shots had been fired in the river. Obama had traveled to the Pentagon for a ceremony commemorating the eighth anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Interesting.

Wonder if it's a dumb accident or if someones trying to do something...

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage
Is it common for boats to break away from the dock? I don't live on, or near a port so I don't know.

I wouldn't say common, but of course it can happen. A frayed rope, a poor job of tying down, etc, these can all cause that to happen.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: ghost recon88

Developing: The Coast Guard was conducting a training exercise in the Potomac River moments before President Obama and his motorcade crossed a nearby bridge. Coast Guard Chief Keith Moore said Friday no shots were fired as part of the exercise. Media reports suggested shots had been fired in the river. Obama had traveled to the Pentagon for a ceremony commemorating the eighth anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

WTF!?!?!

Why would they do training TODAY of all days?

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: lokiju

WTF!?!?!

Somebody is going to be dropped in rank.

heymrdj

Diamond Member
May 28, 2007

WTF!?!?!

Why NOT today? It's 8 years people, I do mourn for the ones lost, but today is of no special value. We can't move on if we don't let the wounds heal. Levitating with the ghosts of the past constantly reopens the wounds of that day.

I feel bad for people who's b-days are on this day. They are completely overshadowed by all this 9/11 fan fair.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Interesting.

Wonder if it's a dumb accident or if someones trying to do something...

This.
Curious if someone slipped up and instructed them to do a training exercise in public eye, on 9/11, or if they just don't want to inform the public of the actual situation.

Or.. did someone at the USCG seriously think it would be an amazing idea to train in the public eye the morning of 9/11? Remind me to smack myself if I ever make such an idiotic decision like that. ;)

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: heymrdj

WTF!?!?!

Why NOT today? It's 8 years people, I do mourn for the ones lost, but today is of no special value. We can't move on if we don't let the wounds heal. Levitating with the ghosts of the past constantly reopens the wounds of that day.

I feel bad for people who's b-days are on this day. They are completely overshadowed by all this 9/11 fan fair.

heh.
my parent's anniversary is today.
and my birthday is tomorrow (woah... it IS tomorrow. nuts, it creeped up faster this year).

:D :(

I wholly agree, when we are going to stop holding ceremonies annually? We don't hold an annual ceremony on December 7th, and in the end, it's not too different of a situation.

I have great sympathy for those families who were affected, and immense respect for the servicemen who ultimately risked everything to try and rescue those trapped.
However, deeply remembering it every year is just showing the world how much we struggle to move on. The additional and insane security measures that still remain today certainly isn't helping to change that view either.

Maybe the day we finally wrap up the M.E. campaigns will be the day we can say we will move on.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

WTF!?!?!

Common sense. People are more likely to be aware of strange things happening today, so doing something that would lead people to believe something bad is happening isn't a good idea today.

Funny that you think the anniversary of someone's birth has some value, but not the anniversary of 9/11. :confused:

heymrdj

Diamond Member
May 28, 2007
Originally posted by: mugs

WTF!?!?!

Common sense. People are more likely to be aware of strange things happening today, so doing something that would lead people to believe something bad is happening isn't a good idea today.

Funny that you think the anniversary of someone's birth has some value, but not the anniversary of 9/11. :confused:

People should NOT be more aware of things today than they should be any other day of the year, that's just lazy.

Yes it is more important and yes it has more value. I can make someones birthday happier, or I can spend the anniversary with my girl and make her day better. Putting flowers on a grave is respectful, but that's about all that can be done. Crying and singing songs or forming a wake does nothing for the dead.

I've told my girl many times: If something happens to me, give me a week of your tears, then start to move on. I pray you can find someone even better than what I was to you.

If I could be a ghost, it would make me mad that someones still mourning me 8 years later. I love life, I love living it, I couldn't stand someone else to bring their life to a halt for my lost one.

RyanPaulShaffer

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
White House Chastises CNN

"White House press secretary Robert Gibbs chastised CNN Friday morning for its reporting on a Coast Guard training exercise on ...

... the Potomac River, which suggested a security incident was in progress in the nation's capital.

"Before we report things like this, checking would be good," Gibbs said."

:laugh: @ CNN