Coal exports hit 19-year high under Obama (possible record)

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Coal powers ahead, paying the taxes needed to fund next-gen energy R&D, no subsidies required:
http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9QOQ8D00.htm
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS November 2, 2011,

A strong overseas market for West Virginia coal continues to reap dividends for the state government's finances.

State officials credit exports for the sixth straight month of better-than-expected general tax revenues.
Muchow said much of that reflects coal exports that had risen by 42 percent during this calendar year as of August, compared to the prior year.

"The numbers have kind of been staggering in terms of exports for that industry," Muchow said.

We are possibly in for a record year!
http://www.dailymail.com/News/201107100856
NEW YORK — The United States is poised to export the most coal since 1992 this year
CSX predicts shipments may rise 33 percent to a record in 2011 after first-quarter volumes climbed 45 percent.

I applaud Obama for taking the moderate path and keeping the trade routes open to create jobs and improve our trade deficit by selling a resource this nation has in great abundance.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Exporting raw materials isn't generally the signature of an advanced economy...

PeshakJang

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2010

So we should keep it here and do what with it? Burn it? I thought coal was awful? Why don't you want to get rid of it? Why don't you want to sell it to economies that rely on it?

Honesty, you are why nobody respects the opinions of liberals.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003

People may look down upon farming and mining, but both in advanced economies like the United States involve considerable planning, safety precautions and advanced equipment / complex machinery.

This creates a demand for well educated planners, skilled technicians, advanced mining equipment and cutting edge safety technology, which in turn helps industries that support the development of such to prosper.

We also have roughly the same amount of coal as the #2 and #3 nations combined, so there is plenty to go around.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
So we should keep it here and do what with it? Burn it? I thought coal was awful? Why don't you want to get rid of it? Why don't you want to sell it to economies that rely on it?

Honesty, you are why nobody respects the opinions of liberals.

Always with the false attribution. Always.

People may look down upon farming and mining, but both in advanced economies like the United States involve considerable planning, safety precautions and advanced equipment / complex machinery.

This creates a demand for well educated planners, skilled technicians, advanced mining equipment and cutting edge safety technology, which in turn helps industries that support the development of such to prosper.

We also have roughly the same amount of coal as the #2 and #3 nations combined, so there is plenty to go around.

I'm not looking down my nose, at all. I will say that raw materials export is the signature of less developed nations, in general, because they lack the resources to add value to them to create finished goods. In terms of economic development, exporting raw materials isn't progress.

The mining industry, in particular, has a long history of privatizing profits & socializing the losses of environmental damage. Living in Colorado gives me a different perspective than people who don't live in mining areas. We're still taking remedial action wrt mining activities of 100 years ago or more. The mining jobs are long gone, but the mess remains.

Which is not to say that I'm terribly opposed to mining, but rather to say that we all need to weigh long term consequences against short term gains, something we definitely can't depend on the management of mining companies to accomplish.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
I applaud Obama for taking the moderate path and keeping the trade routes open to create jobs and improve our trade deficit by selling a resource this nation has in great abundance.

Meanwhile back here at home we are paying higher and higher electric bills because the scamming Utilities claim the higher costs of coal all the while we are using less electric with CFL's and lower power consuming devices.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
So Obama will put more global warming gasses into the atmosphere than any other President?

What does Al Gore think about this?

Fayd

Diamond Member
Jun 28, 2001
www.manwhoring.com
Always with the false attribution. Always.

I'm not looking down my nose, at all. I will say that raw materials export is the signature of less developed nations, in general, because they lack the resources to add value to them to create finished goods. In terms of economic development, exporting raw materials isn't progress.

it's not necessarily progress, but it is money to be made.

and an economy that is *entirely* reliant on high technology is not a strong economy, because it's not diversified. i would rather that we have a thriving coal business than not. that's despite the fact that i dislike coal as a power source.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
And we wonder why we can not eat the fish in our local rivers and lakes?

coal = mercury in our fish

mercury-warning-dam-b-jasper-texas.jpg

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
lol Jhhnn, how is it not the sign of an advanced/advancing society that it exports its older no longer wanted energy sources? That makes no sense. We are moving past the need for coal, while other societies haven't. By exporting energy and being a producer of our own through other means(ie shale, nat gas, huge solar farms hippies won't shut down due to goats, wind, wave generation and the construction of more and more modern nuclear facilities), we are very much so an advancing nation.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
And we wonder why we can not eat the fish in our local rivers and lakes?

coal = mercury in our fish

mercury-warning-dam-b-jasper-texas.jpg

Mercury that occurs naturally in crude oil and natural can't be part of the issue in Texas right?

How many lakes have been taken off the mercury watch in the past few years? How many added? Please note in the sign above that it's recommended to limit your intake and not that you can't eat the fish.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Mercury that occurs naturally in crude oil and natural can't be part of the issue in Texas right?

How many lakes have been taken off the mercury watch in the past few years? How many added? Please note in the sign above that it's recommended to limit your intake and not that you can't eat the fish.
It's not how much mercury is in the water, it's how much mercury was added to the water due to resource extraction.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
lol Jhhnn, how is it not the sign of an advanced/advancing society that it exports its older no longer wanted energy sources? That makes no sense. We are moving past the need for coal, while other societies haven't. By exporting energy and being a producer of our own through other means(ie shale, nat gas, huge solar farms hippies won't shut down due to goats, wind, wave generation and the construction of more and more modern nuclear facilities), we are very much so an advancing nation.

Well, when nearly half of our electricity is generated by coal, it's not like we're ready to discard the stuff, or that we should be eager to accept the environmental damage of mining it so that the financial elite should profit selling it to our economic competitors.

Overview of Appalachian coal mining-

http://ilovemountains.org/resources/

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Well, when nearly half of our electricity is generated by coal, it's not like we're ready to discard the stuff, or that we should be eager to accept the environmental damage of mining it so that the financial elite should profit selling it to our economic competitors.

Overview of Appalachian coal mining-

http://ilovemountains.org/resources/

Yes because no one gets a job out of it... mining just happens! Look, we're trying to get off coal. Other nations are still going to be using it for a long time. We get jobs and other people get energy.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
It was impossible for Obama to be against Big Coal and be from Illinois. The souther part of the state full of it. We all have, uortunately accept the reality of money that intertwined into our political system which in realilty was based on the rididulous idea that it would work if we were all honest Christians.

What's going on with INSERT! I'm tired of trying to edit my shit.
Let's try again.
It was impossible for Obama to be against Big Coal in Illinois. The southern part of the state is full of it. We alll have to unfortunatelly accept the reality of big money being intertwined into our polical system (thus the occupy movement). The founders thinking they we all good moral people, base our form of goverment thinking we would all be honest.

What I'm saying is, Yes of course of Obama is a whor. He' was just a little bit less of a whore than the RepubliCons.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
It's not how much mercury is in the water, it's how much mercury was added to the water due to resource extraction.

However, Texashiker is blaming all the mercury on coal burning power plants and not taking into account that some of the mercury is naturally occurring in areas where crude oil/natural gas is found or as you mentioned being disturbed due to extraction of the oil/gas.

Macamus Prime

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2011
I thought Obama was forcing people to use solar powered panels? Wasn't he some sort of pro-environment nut job who wanted you all to eat grass and burn environmentally friendly candles?

Come on guys, can you all agree on casting ONE fucking type of light on him? He can't be a communist treehugger AND a capitalist drone at the same time.

Frankly, if makes you look pretty stupid when you scream he is weak on terrorism, but Osama is fish food. And, you can't call him anti-capitalism treehugger when coal production has gone up and he seems to be sucking the cocks of the big banks.

Figure it out, get back to me.

Thanks.