• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Coach K Pokes at Obama over Tarheels NCAA Pick

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
72,640
8
81
You knew that President Obama picking UNC as the champs and Duke out in the Elite Eight was going to stir the Tobacco Road hornet's nest.

But who knew that Coach K himself would weigh in?

"Somebody said that we're not in President Obama's Final Four, and as much as I respect what he's doing, really, the economy is something that he should focus on, probably more than the brackets," Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski told the Associated Press.

Zing.

But maybe it's not surprising that Krzyzewski took his shot at this president.

After all, not only did Dean Smith, the original Carolina coaching legend, endorse Obama during the 2008 campaign (Coach K did not), but Kryzeweski landed in hot water in 2002 for hosting an on-campus fund-raiser for Republican Elizabeth Dole, then a candidate for U.S. Senate. (Dole was ousted in 2008 by now-Sen. Kay Hagan.)
Continued here...

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com...009/03/19/1843593.aspx

Like the president can't take a few minutes out of his day to do what just about every guy in America does this time a year -- NCAA brackets. But Coach K is a Republican, so it's expected ;)
 

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
41,061
494
126
Is that dimwit of a press secretary going to put Coach K on the enemy list?

Just curious.
 

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
6,045
1
0
Originally posted by: NFS4

Like the president can't take a few minutes out of his day to do what just about every guy in America does this time a year -- NCAA brackets. But Coach K is a Republican, so it's expected ;)
A few minutes... sure. But then they better be just some random picks. If he was researching teams and whatnot to figure this sucker out... no, he shouldn't have the time to do it.

Out of curiosity, is he the first president to do this?

In my pool, I have Pitt beating Wake...
 

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
6,278
0
0
Mike Krzyzewski looks like a mole or some other such vermin.

Dook sucks arse. State is fake. But the ones to hate are the Pukes from Wake.


Go Heels! :D
 

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
22,995
774
126
That's funny, considering Obama reportedly works until 10 or 11 pm everyday whereas Bush worked a strict 9 to 5 workday (with the record for a president in terms of # of vacations taken).

Coach K is just mad that nobody likes Duke :laugh:
 

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
6,278
0
0
Originally posted by: Gonad the Barbarian
Originally posted by: Genx87
Is that dimwit of a press secretary going to put Coach K on the enemy list?

Just curious.
He should already be on there, he's a Dukie.
Obama's personal assistent, Reggie Love, played b-ball (and football) at that New Jersey juvenile prep school located in the Durham city ditches.
 

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
13,918
18
81
You know if NC wins K3N and Socio will be on here talking about how Obama was involved in tons of backroom deals to pave the way for his pick to win.
 

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
9,529
0
0
if anyone had actually watched coach K when he said, he was clearly kidding, but of course on this forum anything can't actually be used in proper context
 

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
13,103
1
81
Originally posted by: Phokus
That's funny, considering Obama reportedly works until 10 or 11 pm everyday whereas Bush worked a strict 9 to 5 workday (with the record for a president in terms of # of vacations taken).

Coach K is just mad that nobody likes Duke :laugh:
Between keeping a hawkish eye out for earmarks and making sure every penny gets properly spent with the bailout he stays busy.

I'm surprised Obama has any free time, it's not easy tearing this country apart.



 

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
72,640
8
81
Originally posted by: NeoV
if anyone had actually watched coach K when he said, he was clearly kidding, but of course on this forum anything can't actually be used in proper context
Which is why I said Coach K "pokes" at Obama instead of getting "butt hurt" or something like that. Or are you just looking to start something?
 

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
11,625
182
106
Originally posted by: Possessed Freak
Originally posted by: NFS4

Like the president can't take a few minutes out of his day to do what just about every guy in America does this time a year -- NCAA brackets. But Coach K is a Republican, so it's expected ;)
A few minutes... sure. But then they better be just some random picks. If he was researching teams and whatnot to figure this sucker out... no, he shouldn't have the time to do it.

Out of curiosity, is he the first president to do this?

In my pool, I have Pitt beating Wake...
he pretty much chalked the entire way, but he did have some good picks
 

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
41,061
494
126
Originally posted by: Phokus
That's funny, considering Obama reportedly works until 10 or 11 pm everyday whereas Bush worked a strict 9 to 5 workday (with the record for a president in terms of # of vacations taken).

Coach K is just mad that nobody likes Duke :laugh:
That is a lie. Bush was punctual and was up at 4ish every morning. Where do you guys get your information? Obama and Bush technically work 24/7 anyways. When something needs to be done you get your ass up.
 

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
9,529
0
0
you started a thread about this, but I'm the one looking to start something?
 

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
20,984
2
0
Coach K is a very good basketball coach, but he is off base here, Obama's bracket pick is someone else, and beyond vowing to prove Obama wrong, coach K has no right to bitch.
 

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
72,640
8
81
Originally posted by: NeoV
you started a thread about this, but I'm the one looking to start something?
I made the thread in jest, and you're talking about people having agendas or twisting stuff around.
 

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
12,007
571
126
Originally posted by: NFS4
You knew that President Obama picking UNC as the champs and Duke out in the Elite Eight was going to stir the Tobacco Road hornet's nest.

But who knew that Coach K himself would weigh in?

"Somebody said that we're not in President Obama's Final Four, and as much as I respect what he's doing, really, the economy is something that he should focus on, probably more than the brackets," Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski told the Associated Press.

Zing.

But maybe it's not surprising that Krzyzewski took his shot at this president.

After all, not only did Dean Smith, the original Carolina coaching legend, endorse Obama during the 2008 campaign (Coach K did not), but Kryzeweski landed in hot water in 2002 for hosting an on-campus fund-raiser for Republican Elizabeth Dole, then a candidate for U.S. Senate. (Dole was ousted in 2008 by now-Sen. Kay Hagan.)
Continued here...

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com...009/03/19/1843593.aspx

Like the president can't take a few minutes out of his day to do what just about every guy in America does this time a year -- NCAA brackets. But Coach K is a Republican, so it's expected ;)
Aren't republicans illegal on college campuses?
 

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
6,045
1
0
Originally posted by: Atreus21

Aren't republicans illegal on college campuses?
We certainly are a minority.... wait a second, shouldn't I get a pay raise or some perk for being a minority on the liberal campus?
 

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
13,918
18
81
Originally posted by: Atreus21
Originally posted by: NFS4
Like the president can't take a few minutes out of his day to do what just about every guy in America does this time a year -- NCAA brackets. But Coach K is a Republican, so it's expected ;)
Aren't republicans illegal on college campuses?
They aren't barred by law, they're just naturally repelled by education. Some have evolved an immunity, though they deny it.
 

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
22,995
774
126
Originally posted by: Possessed Freak
Originally posted by: Atreus21

Aren't republicans illegal on college campuses?
We certainly are a minority.... wait a second, shouldn't I get a pay raise or some perk for being a minority on the liberal campus?
Think of the bizzaro universe where Republicans ran colleges: gays, latinos, and arabs would be barred from enrolling, actually anyone who wasn't a white christian would be barred. Also, alcohol, sex, loud music, any movies rated over PG would be banned... hell, even dancing is still banned at some conservative schools (just look at all the evangelical universities, YIKES!)
 

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
6,045
1
0
Originally posted by: Phokus
Originally posted by: Possessed Freak
Originally posted by: Atreus21

Aren't republicans illegal on college campuses?
We certainly are a minority.... wait a second, shouldn't I get a pay raise or some perk for being a minority on the liberal campus?
Think of the bizzaro universe where Republicans ran colleges: gays, latinos, and arabs would be barred from enrolling, actually anyone who wasn't a white christian would be barred. Also, alcohol, sex, loud music, any movies rated over PG would be banned... hell, even dancing is still banned at some conservative schools (just look at all the evangelical universities, YIKES!)
What a huh?

The solution set Republicans = the union of the KKK, PBS, and Amish?

Are the ultra extreme stereotypes of the liberal true on campus currently?
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY