Co-worker gave me a TIVO model TCD24008A

Oct 18, 1999
A user at work gave me her old TIVO series 2 model TCD24008A. No remote (gonna ask if she has it or I can just program my univeral). Anyway, what can I do with this? I know what it does, but is it worth having? I have HDTV but my cable is SD digital cable so no probs there. Basically I want to know if I can just use it as a VCR or hook up to pc or any other info as to what i can do with it would be appreciated. :)

CalvinHobbes

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2004
You need a subscription to use it as a DVR, do you know what kind of subscription she had for it?

Oct 18, 1999
Originally posted by: CalvinHobbes
You need a subscription to use it as a DVR, do you know what kind of subscription she had for it?
No, hopefully it was lifetime. :)

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I know on the older Tivos, you can use them as a digital VCR without the service, but the Tivo service is REALLY good. The two main things the Series 2 doesn't have is services like Netflix Streaming and HD tuners. I have a Series 2 right now and it's really great.

BornStar

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2001
The Series 2 won't work without a subscription unless you unplug it from the network or phone line before canceling the service. If you cancel before you disconnect it and it calls home then it turns into a brick. Odds are that happened to the one you were given so you would need to subscribe to the service. If they did disconnect it before canceling then you would be able to record but you wouldn't get a guide or anything more than just recording by channel and time and time shifting.

ASK THE COMMUNITY