Co-Ed Changing Facilities and Bathrooms does anyone else think this is the future?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Knowing

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2014
We did a bathroom survey at my school as part of a "Gender and Technology" class that was really just "Womyn and Other Studies."

The tl;dr was that if we knocked out all of the bathrooms and converted them to single user stalls we could have men stand in line for the bathrooms like women do. Even the girls (presenting as conventionally female) in the class rejected the idea of coed bathrooms. Seems they think that there could be a benefit to preserving the "feminine mystique."

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
How sceery the world has become.

151007_HoustonOrdinance_Jessen-1250x650.jpg

That is creepy. Why do we need to change it at all. Mens and Womens. Simple.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Avoiding germs in general is INCREDIBLY unhealthy in my opinion. Have fun building an immune system that isn't capable of defending itself.

I'd rather touch everything without overthinking "Did someone whip out their dick and for some reason piss all over this handle? I better use a paper towel while opening it!". Seriously? That's just disturbing for the human race as a whole to think about those things.

You hit the nail on the head. That is what is wrong. People that live that way have no immune system. Bunch of pansies.

Cozarkian

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2012
Avoiding germs in general is INCREDIBLY unhealthy in my opinion.

Really? So you do just use your hand to wipe your butt (wouldn't want that toilet paper to help you avoid germs?) And I'm assuming you never wash your hands. Also, you probably don't wash your silverware or glasses, because you wouldn't want to avoid those germs. Why not just go one step further and actively try to expose yourself to germs? Maybe rub your fork on the floor and the under side of the table when eating at restaurants, or take your food into the bathroom and eat while taking a bowel movement - that's a time saver and an immune-system builder!

I think we can agree there is a middle ground where there are reasonable precautions we can take without going overboard and trying to eliminate all exposure, and personally, I think the things suggested on WebMD are fairly reasonable.

Yes, it would be silly to walk around with a handkerchief to open any public door, but it makes sense to avoid contaminating your hands immediately after washing by turning off the faucet with a towel, and it takes no extra effort to do so with the bathroom door as well. Maybe if there isn't a trash can by the door you skip that step, but I really doubt civilization will fall apart if people use a paper towel to open the bathroom door.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
B-b-but the perverts with their toasters will rape me and force me to pay for abortions!!shift+1!!!

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Sometimes I wonder if you believe your own Tourette's

I am to believe you find fault in my statement? Curious which part you believe is the Tourette's speaking:

(A) Fight for rights of transgenders by the left is causing more people to vote for Democrats
(B) More Democrats in office creates more liberal legislation
(C) More Democrats in office/more people voting Democratic, generates a more liberal-minded judicial system
(D) More liberal legislation & judicial system benefits society

Or are you the one with a problem? :p He asked a question, I linked the chain from one to the other. You, on the other hand, chose to try to insult me, and also insult all of the innocents who legitimately suffer with Tourette's. That's entirely on you, big boy. Please do spend some time reflecting on who you are as a person :D

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I am to believe you find fault in my statement? Curious which part you believe is the Tourette's speaking:

(A) Fight for rights of transgenders by the left is causing more people to vote for Democrats
(B) More Democrats in office creates more liberal legislation
(C) More Democrats in office/more people voting Democratic, generates a more liberal-minded judicial system
(D) More liberal legislation & judicial system benefits society

Or are you the one with the problem? :p He asked a question, I linked the chain from one to the other. You, on the other hand, chose to insult. That's entirely on you :D

I just find it fascinating you rarely argue a point based on factual merit. Its more like

hippie...pinko...commie...lefty...Kenyan. Ok its been a while since you've used that last one.

Public facilities for transgenders is a tough issue. I can empathize but also don't support males/females forced to share lockers/bathrooms in primary school. This is why changing rules from gender to genitalia might be an answer. You get the sex change you can switch bathrooms. Hermaphrodites get their choice.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
This is why changing rules from gender to genitalia might be an answer. You get the sex change you can switch bathrooms
This is the common sense solution but we rarely adopt those type of solutions. We are dealing with a minute percentage of the population. There is absolutely no need for the overwhelming majority to make concessions of this type for so few.

Got a dick, use the men's room. Got a snapper, use the women's. Simple. It doesn't matter how you dress, how you wear your hair, whether you're stuffing that bra you're wearing, putting a sock in the front of your pants or carrying your wallet on a chain. Dicks > this door, snapper's > that door.

In this case, the individual says she is attracted to women. I guess that makes her a lesbian. That's fine, I'm certain the girls locker room already has a few of those. What the girls locker room doesn't have is a lesbian sporting a woody.

Right now, this person say she'd be happy with a curtained off area for her in the girl's locker room. That's for right now. When she decides she's being singled out, and she most certainly is being singled out, she'll want full privileges in the locker room the same as all the rest of the girls. And fearing a lawsuit, the school system will have to allow her to do whatever it is she wishes to do. Call her an attention whore, call her mentally ill, call her whatever you want, she's calling the shots and she's going to get what she wants and everyone else can be damned.

Lastly, I've referred to her in the gender pronoun she prefers. But she ain't fooling me, she's a dude. I know this, because she has a dick.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
This is such an unimportant issue, IMO. It rots the brain to even think about it.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
This is the common sense solution but we rarely adopt those type of solutions. We are dealing with a minute percentage of the population. There is absolutely no need for the overwhelming majority to make concessions of this type for so few.

Got a dick, use the men's room. Got a snapper, use the women's. Simple. It doesn't matter how you dress, how you wear your hair, whether you're stuffing that bra you're wearing, putting a sock in the front of your pants or carrying your wallet on a chain. Dicks > this door, snapper's > that door.

In this case, the individual says she is attracted to women. I guess that makes her a lesbian. That's fine, I'm certain the girls locker room already has a few of those. What the girls locker room doesn't have is a lesbian sporting a woody.

Right now, this person say she'd be happy with a curtained off area for her in the girl's locker room. That's for right now. When she decides she's being singled out, and she most certainly is being singled out, she'll want full privileges in the locker room the same as all the rest of the girls. And fearing a lawsuit, the school system will have to allow her to do whatever it is she wishes to do. Call her an attention whore, call her mentally ill, call her whatever you want, she's calling the shots and she's going to get what she wants and everyone else can be damned.

Lastly, I've referred to her in the gender pronoun she prefers. But she ain't fooling me, she's a dude. I know this, because she has a dick.

But you know as well as anyone that this will never work, we already have cases in the system where people who haven't fully transitioned are fighting for the right to use the facilities of the gender with which they identify, not how they are equipped and they are gaining traction.

If they go the path of stalls for all that will come at a big expense. will be interesting to see how it plays out.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
After reviewing WebMD (http://www.webmd.com/balance/features/what-can-you-catch-in-restrooms), the following bathroom procedure appears to be recommended:

1. Don't worry about the toilet seat
2. Don't put your bag/purse on the floor; seriously don't do that
3. Flush with your foot
4. Get out of the stall quickly after flushing because the flush sprays fecal matter into the air
5. Wash your hands with soap, for 20-30 seconds, including under the fingernails.
6. Use a towel to turn of the water
7. Use a towel to open the bathroom door.

That suggests the cleanest/safest thing in the bathroom is the toilet seat, but not that the bathroom is clean.

This is similar to what I do, except the toilets don't have handles so I still have to press the button when I need multiple flushes.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
I just find it fascinating you rarely argue a point based on factual merit. Its more like

hippie...pinko...commie...lefty...Kenyan. Ok its been a while since you've used that last one.
Strange, can't recall a time where I dismissed anything by simply saying "hippie", "pinko", "commie", or "Kenyan". If I've ever dismissed something by saying "lefty", I assure you there is more behind that comment, I just chose not to spend the time writing it out on a forum of no consequence :p Very few people on this forum are here to learn from others, most are here to lecture and/or vent their anger at others. Not worth the time writing up detailed arguments that likely no one will read.

Public facilities for transgenders is a tough issue. I can empathize but also don't support males/females forced to share lockers/bathrooms in primary school. This is why changing rules from gender to genitalia might be an answer. You get the sex change you can switch bathrooms. Hermaphrodites get their choice.

If you've ever read my posts, I think you'd be surprised that on this subject throughout the years my posts have said the exact same thing you just posted ;)

Last edited:

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
But you know as well as anyone that this will never work, we already have cases in the system where people who haven't fully transitioned are fighting for the right to use the facilities of the gender with which they identify, not how they are equipped and they are gaining traction.

If they go the path of stalls for all that will come at a big expense. will be interesting to see how it plays out.

That is exactly the problem. They should not be allowed to ram this crap down everyone throat. It should be stopped now.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
This is such an unimportant issue, IMO. It rots the brain to even think about it.

But it's presently unsolvable because of American puritanical insanity.
Gender segregation hurts transgenders because they cannot fit into our stereotypes.
But damned if Americans are going to man up and admit there's nothing special about the human body.
Instead we continue our campaign to shun and shame nudity and sex, and enforce gender segregation under the guise of "modesty".

This touches a far reaching subject.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Personally I like the solution of calling the rooms by genitalia instead of gender. Penis rooms and Vagina rooms. Doesn't matter if you want to identify your sex as boy or girl if you don't have the gender anatomy you don't go into the room set aside for that anatomy. Applied evenly across and fairly. And for those in transition it doesn't matter either. If you have a penis you go to penis room and if you have a vagina you go to the vagina room. Doesn't matter if you have a penis with breast implants. Penis still goes to penis room.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Noooo! Us men have a good system going. The line is always 3x longer to get into the female bathroom. No encroaching on our highly efficient routine.

Vaux

May 24, 2013
Personally I like the solution of calling the rooms by genitalia instead of gender. Penis rooms and Vagina rooms. Doesn't matter if you want to identify your sex as boy or girl if you don't have the gender anatomy you don't go into the room set aside for that anatomy. Applied evenly across and fairly. And for those in transition it doesn't matter either. If you have a penis you go to penis room and if you have a vagina you go to the vagina room. Doesn't matter if you have a penis with breast implants. Penis still goes to penis room.

So basically you are saying anyone can use any bathroom they like. How would you enforce your idea? If your obvious gender is no longer a requirement, you're going to check to see if I have a penis or not?

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
So basically you are saying anyone can use any bathroom they like. How would you enforce your idea? If your obvious gender is no longer a requirement, you're going to check to see if I have a penis or not?

It's always been an honor system for the most part. I've seen more than a few girl come into male restrooms and vice versa when the lines are long enough or at various clubs/bars. I've even known guys to go into a girls restroom at a crowded club just to piss in the sink because everything in the guys room was full and women weren't using their sinks to pee in so they were free.

Then again I am referring to adults and crowded drunk places, which isn't the same as gyms/schools where most of the friction is occurring. This is more of a gender identity/recognition push back problem than anything else. Still just calling it penis and vagina rooms while still using the current honor system resolves that.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
It's fairly normal in Europe...at least for children.

I don't give a fuck about Europe. Why are we constantly trying to become Europe? I swear if this was the mid 1700's, most of you would be Loyalists.

Fayd

Diamond Member
Jun 28, 2001
www.manwhoring.com
Relax.

Women would NEVER go for this. Some males might. But ZERO women will.

They continue to live by the notion that not a single female passes gas / farts. They believe the only thing that comes out of the ass is rainbows, unicorns, and pixie dust.

Yes, bless their rainbow and unicorn dust spewing asses. I don't want to hear otherwise.