CNN Worst Month In Decade - Americans mostly watching Fox News

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
5-4-2012

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/02/cnn-ratings-april-cable-news-top-30_n_1471363.html

CNN Has Worst Month In Decade

The cable news ratings for April revealed that CNN just had its lowest-rated month in total day since August 2001.

Fox News dominated the ratings as usual.

The network claimed the top 13 programs in total viewers.

• 1. The O'Reilly Factor

Fox News -- 2.87 million total viewers
  • 2. Hannity

Fox News -- 2.075 million total viewers
  • 3. Special Report with Bret Baier

Fox News -- 1.778 million total viewers
  • 4. On the Record with Greta van Susteren

Fox News -- 1.722 million total viewers
  • 5. Fox Report with Shepard Smith

Fox News -- 1.688 million total viewers
  • 6. The Five

Fox News -- 1.674 million total viewers
  • 7. America's Newsroom

Fox News -- 1.272 million total viewers
  • 8. Your World with Neil Cavuto

Fox News -- 1.252 million total viewers
  • 9. O'Reilly Factor (11PM)

Fox News -- 1.22 million total viewers
  • 10. America Live

Fox News -- 1.191 million total viewers
  • 11. Studio B

Fox News -- 1.113 million total viewers
  • 12. Fox & Friends

Fox News -- 1.082 million total viewers
  • 13. Happening Now

Fox News -- 1.029 million total viewers
  • 14. The Rachel Maddow Show

MSNBC -- 985,000 total viewers
  • 15. The Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell

MSNBC -- 931,000 total viewers
  • 16. The Ed Show

MSNBC -- 875,000 total viewers
  • 17. Hardball with Chris Matthews

MSNBC -- 744,000 total viewers
  • 18. PoliticsNation

MSNBC -- 712,000 total viewers
  • 19. Piers Morgan Tonight

CNN -- 567,000 total viewers
  • 20. The Situation Room

CNN -- 548,000 total viewers
  • 21. The Ed Show (11 p.m.)

MSNBC -- 537,000 total viewers
  • 22. Anderson Cooper 360 (10 p.m.)

CNN -- 522,000 total viewers
  • 23. Anderson Cooper 360 (8 p.m.)

CNN -- 504,000 total viewers
  • 24. Red Eye

Fox News -- 466,000 total viewers
  • 25. Fox and Friends First

Fox News -- 458,000 total viewers
  • 26. Dylan Ratigan Show

MSNBC -- 455,000 total viewers
  • 27. Martin Bashir

MSNBC -- 449,000 total viewers
  • 28. John King USA

CNN -- 435,000 total viewers
  • 29. Morning Joe

MSNBC -- 412,000 total viewers
  • 30. Erin Burnett

CNN -- 409,000 total viewers

Last edited:

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Maybe people realize that the MSM will manipulate info to present false impressions.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
cnn is for the bitter clinger liberals. If you watch cnn you are off in a corner by your self. And please..stay there.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
LOL, I knew Fox News dominated, but DAMN! That's insane.

IBMer

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2000
Possibly this is a sign that Liberals or the left, don't all get their information from "MSM" like CNN or MSNBC. So when people say that MSNBC and CNN are just like Fox, you might wonder why Fox is still so popular with the Right/Conservatives and the inverse is not true.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Possibly this is a sign that Liberals or the left, don't all get their information from "MSM" like CNN or MSNBC. So when people say that MSNBC and CNN are just like Fox, you might wonder why Fox is still so popular with the Right/Conservatives and the inverse is not true.

Yep and I have been watching RT some as well. Some of the Moscow based shows have a political slant but some are produced here and cover local topics. They have some good stories and most importantly offer differening opinions. Al Jazeera English has some good stories as well.

30. Erin Burnett MSNBC -- 412,000 total viewers. I don't care for her, she seems to be under the impression (like many) that folks care what she thinks. She belongs on the fox network.

28. John King USA CNN -- 435,000 total viewers
Solid reporter and not afraid to ask difficult questions. Sometimes he appears quirky and I guess that puts off the folks who like the flashy newscasters. Best newscaster CNN has IMO

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I find The Five to be very entertaining and informative. They present many views of the same piece of news rather than just the one view the person writing the script wants you to hear.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
No, it just shows that people prefer opinion and entertainment over news.

Just look at the fact that MOST of our network news focuses more on recipes than actual news stories.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
By the way, to keep these numbers in perspective, the top-rated pseudo news show on Fox is still dwarfed by network news. Here are a few key stats for the week of 4/23:

60 Minutes - 10 million viewers (off night, their average is 13.3 million)
NBC news - 8.2 million
ABC news - 7.3 million
CBS news - 5.8 million

Of course what's really even more telling:

Dancing with the Stars - 17.6 million
American Idol (Wed.) - 16.9 million
American Idol (Thu.) - 14.9 million

And even if you limit it to cable, O'Reilly was trounced by two episodes of Pawnstars, two of WWE, and a bunch of other entertainment shows (which is the proper category for O'Reilly -- he's not news). It's no wonder most Americans are so woefully ignorant.

Links:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/nielsens-charts.htm
http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/category/evening-news-ratings

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Actually it's a sign that you can hear the same message on CNN/ABC/NBC/CBS/MSNBC. Or you can read it in the NYT or, well, in pretty much every newspaper. The people who want news slanted with that point of view have a LOT of options. The people who want news slanted with the opposite point of view have only Fox News. As Bowfinger says, most people get their news from the networks anyway - except of course younger proggies who get their "news" from John Stewart and Steven Colbert.

EDIT: This is ironic for me since I only see news when getting ready for work. Fox is unwatchable, all chatter and "human interest", so we mostly listen to Robin Meade in the mornings. The rest of my news comes from the radio news (sources vary with the station) and to a lesser extent from the Internet. (Thanks, Algore!)

Last edited:

Ynog

Golden Member
Oct 9, 2002
By the way, to keep these numbers in perspective, the top-rated pseudo news show on Fox is still dwarfed by network news. Here are a few key stats for the week of 4/23:

60 Minutes - 10 million viewers (off night, their average is 13.3 million)
NBC news - 8.2 million
ABC news - 7.3 million
CBS news - 5.8 million

Of course what's really even more telling:

Dancing with the Stars - 17.6 million
American Idol (Wed.) - 16.9 million
American Idol (Thu.) - 14.9 million

And even if you limit it to cable, O'Reilly was trounced by two episodes of Pawnstars, two of WWE, and a bunch of other entertainment shows (which is the proper category for O'Reilly -- he's not news). It's no wonder most Americans are so woefully ignorant.

Links:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/nielsens-charts.htm
http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/category/evening-news-ratings

I guess Americans only watch WWE.

In reality more people get their news from network news (even those with cable). Watching any of the cable news shows for 5 minutes show they aren't news, they are opinion.

Daily Show at 11pm typically pulls in between 1.6 - 1.7 viewers. That means he's beating the 11pm O'Reilly by a fair margin. He provides just as much "News" as the rest of those cable news shows.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I'm not the least bit surprised CNN's ratings are in the cellar-almost all of their shows are terrible, or alternatively both terrible and boring. Either they have their puff interview show, panel shows consisting of pundits all trying to simultaneously outshout each other, or my personal favorite-a talking head holding a sheff of papers, reading tweets from "you, the viewer" off the papers about hot news topics.

CNN desperately needs new management and direction, and a house cleaning virtually from bottom to top.

I must admit though, I am depressed that Fox & Friends was ranked so high as it is utter garbage.

Last edited:

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
People are always so shocked when it comes up that Fox is in first by a wide margin. Its simple logic that people want to hear the news from someone that is more agreeable to their views. While I won't discuss whether or not there is a liberal media slant, the fact is that Fox is one of the only TV news sources with a definite conservative slant - and when about half the country is conservative in some way, it obviously makes sense that Fox would take the lions share of that crowd, with the remainder filtering through other sources, depending on their views or situation.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
Deeko, that is not it.

They want to see a fight and hear someone insult someone else more than anything.

Out of all the networks, Fox has the most outright insulting programs on the air.

Why do people still listen to drugged-out fatty Limbaugh? It sure as hell isn't for his actual knowledge of things. They want to be mad, or laugh at someone elses mistakes.

Just like the majority of people find it funny to see a guy get whacked in the balls (for whatever reason), they will watch Fox to be entertained in the name of "news".

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Well, they want someone to be mad WITH, not mad AT. People that disagree with Limbaugh's stances don't listen to him much, but people that agree do, because he gets them riled up. Its the combo of entertainment factor + similar views.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
From the looks of the numbers Americans do not even watch TV much anymore. That's what? 10%? Sounds like a few old boomers left watching the cold war idiot box.

Now the question is, why do people who still use a tv and adapt cultural cues from it still consider themselves "mainstream society"?

How arrogant that anyone on TV says they are "real Americans". Hardly.

Just the passing of a thoroughly brainwashed generation still sucking off their nannies tit that raised them.