CNN TV: Fatal School Shooting In PA

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Student in Red Lion, PA shoots principal and then kills himself. Details to come.

Edit: Changed spelling of town

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Originally posted by: tec699
God damnit! Another school shooting.

When will these kids stop this nonsense.

:(

When the parents and children are held responsible for their actions and not the teachers.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Thera

When the parents and children are held responsible for their actions and not the teachers.
Thank you. My sentiments exactly.

tec699

Banned
Dec 19, 2002

lol... isn't that the truth.

I'm a special ed major and I'm working with a 3rd grade teacher. She tells me all the time that the parents do not care. The school just recently had their teacher/parent night and guess how many parents attended the meeting? One!! Out of 11 students only one parent attended the meeting.

railer

Golden Member
Apr 15, 2000
Aren't kids and parents already held responsible? I've never heard the teachers blamed in any of these school shootings. If by held responsible you mean punish the sh!t out of them AFTER they've already shot someone, I'm afraid it's a little too late by then. Need to be more proactive....somehow....

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999

I'm a special ed major and I'm working with a 3rd grade teacher. She tells me all the time that the parents do not care. The school just recently had their teacher/parent night and guess how many parents attended the meeting? One!! Out of 11 students only one parent attended the meeting.
One of our departments here where I work employs about 40 special ed people. All have masters and Ph D degrees. They also relate many horror stories about their days in the school districts.

BTW, you are learning a great educational field with very high demand.

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Originally posted by: railer
Aren't kids and parents already held responsible? I've never heard the teachers blamed in any of these school shootings. If by held responsible you mean punish the sh!t out of them AFTER they've already shot someone, I'm afraid it's a little too late by then. Need to be more proactive....somehow....

The parents and children are not held responsible at this point. If the kid fails in school it's the schools fault. That's what "No child left behind" endorses. At no point does anyone look at the parents or children as the problem, only the test scores at the school. I'm sorry but that's wrong, very wrong.

I have no answers at this point. My best guess is that with affluency comes diminshed social responsibility. This diminshed sense of entitlement then trickles down to the lower classes. And ultimately we end up with a majority of people living a life as if they're owed something.

This society is fat (generally). Fat with ignorance, fat with greed, fat with entitlement. Until that ends we're going to have problems in our youth. It's just a shame that the schools are targeted and not the parents. I guess that's because schools can't vote in elections and parents can.
rolleye.gif

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
School shootings have been around for decades are actually LESS per capita than 50 years ago.
Its just today they seem to take out more victims when they do it, but the number of incidence is down.
So blaming parents and kids etc didn't work in the 50's and it won't work today. You have hundreds of millions of people some are going to come undone, face it.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: guigui38

maybe when weapons wont be so easily bought :(

Yeah blame the guns
rolleye.gif

Maybe if the kid has some discipline in his life he'd know it was wrong to find/buy/steal the gun. Now I know there are going to be exceptions but it is my firm belief that the parents shoulder most of the blame. They most certainly would know if something "was wrong" with their childs mental status if they spent more of their time with their kids - and no, a quick 10 min supper doesn't count as "quality time" ;)

Just my $.02

CkG

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Originally posted by: desy
School shootings have been around for decades are actually LESS per capita than 50 years ago.
Its just today they seem to take out more victims when they do it, but the number of incidence is down.
So blaming parents and kids etc didn't work in the 50's and it won't work today. You have hundreds of millions of people some are going to come undone, face it.

True. I was off topic. I was talking about the general rot in our culture.

tec699

Banned
Dec 19, 2002
Originally posted by: burnedout

One of our departments here where I work employs about 40 special ed people. All have masters and Ph D degrees. They also relate many horror stories about their days in the school districts.

BTW, you are learning a great educational field with very high demand.

I love working with children. And yea.. if your a male you are allmost guaranteed a job as a special ed teacher when you graduate from college. There are so few males in the field I guess.

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
Well you can blame the media for some of the rot, specifically the newer phenomenom of spree killing.
Didn't exist couple of decades ago in the numbers of today until the media pumped up the killers making them instant celebreties where body count makes them newsworthy and famous.
Now I don't blame the media for of societies ill but I do blame them for creating issues out of non issues, for example SARS, 17 people have died of it in Toronto.
The WHO tells people not to travel there.
MORE people die of heat stroke in Toronto every summer, so you should not go there in the summer cause you might suffer heat stroke and DIE ?!?!

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
Well you can blame the media for some of the rot, specifically the newer phenomenom of spree killing.
Didn't exist couple of decades ago in the numbers of today until the media pumped up the killers making them instant celebreties where body count makes them newsworthy and famous.
Now I don't blame the media for of societies ill but I do blame them for creating issues out of non issues, for example SARS, 17 people have died of it in Toronto.
The WHO tells people not to travel there.
MORE people die of heat stroke in Toronto every summer, so you should not go there in the summer cause you might suffer heat stroke and DIE ?!?!

You'd really like White Noise.

Blame/Sentence/Convict the parents. I'm just a voice in the choir at this point.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Originally posted by: guigui38

maybe when weapons wont be so easily bought :(

Yeah blame the guns
rolleye.gif

Maybe if the kid has some discipline in his life he'd know it was wrong to find/buy/steal the gun. Now I know there are going to be exceptions but it is my firm belief that the parents shoulder most of the blame. They most certainly would know if something "was wrong" with their childs mental status if they spent more of their time with their kids - and no, a quick 10 min supper doesn't count as "quality time" ;)

Just my $.02

CkG

no kidding, if your going to ban guns you might as well ban kitchen knives as well, and i like a nice big heavy knife to cut my food. heck, i don't even own a gun because i have no use for one but i know enough about anatomy that i could kill easily a man with a pencel; shall we ban those too? :disgust:

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

like those shark attacks last summer...