CNN - Student video of armed black panthers intimidating white voters for Obama

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GeezerMan

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005
Originally posted by: classy
Hmm there was another white standing there which seem to not be having any problems. There was a white girl behind them talking on her cell, didn't look like she was having any problems. And at the end of the video you see whites walking out looking ok. So...................

Oh I see. So, they have to be intimadating to every white person who sees them before it's a problem. Also, those dudes knew about the camera, so I kinda doubt they would do anything more wrong while on camera.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: techs
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
I see the guy with the camera making the accusation, but I don't see the panthers (if they truly are) intimidating him. They did not in any way tell him he could not enter nor imped his way into the voting area nor did they even tell him that he couldn't film them.

I think that the nightstick is overkill on their part and don't really see a need for it. But I don't live in Philly and if I did, I probably wouldn't mind a little security. Some parts are downright brutal.

I'll save judgment for CNN's interview of them (if they do indeed go out) to see what reason they are given and whether or not the "security" was there of their own volition or was requested.

Too few details to make the leap that you are implying OP.

I absolutely agree that there are WAY too few details to make any conclusions.
If the guy with the camera really was a poll watcher he should have called the police and let them sort it out. The guy with the stick seemed polite. I don't know why he thought they were Black Panthers. Did they have insignia? They looked to have some kind of security guard uniform? Were they the regular building security where the polls were occurring? Did they think that it was therefore their job to guard the polls?

In fact, after careful review, there is ALMOST nothing about this video that could be conclusive and it is BARELY even slightly circumstantial.

My VERY important question is why didn't the supposed poll watcher (remember he never showed any i.d.) didn't call the police and film the response?
I STRONGLY suspect because nothing really bad was happening and the whole thing was a SETUP<
LOL I missed this comedy Mr. "Sarah Palin didn't have a baby" and "we're going to invade cuba" Techs. Thanks for the giggles.

babylon5

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Corbett
If this were whites in Alabama carrying baseball bats with the intention of intimidating black voters from voting Obama, the libs here would be singing a VERY different tune.

True

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
Originally posted by: babylon5
If this were whites in Alabama carrying baseball bats with the intention of intimidating black voters from voting Obama, the libs here would be singing a VERY different tune.

True
its an isolated incident, get over yourselves.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: alien42

True

So what?

Jiggz

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2001
Originally posted by: techs
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
I see the guy with the camera making the accusation, but I don't see the panthers (if they truly are) intimidating him. They did not in any way tell him he could not enter nor imped his way into the voting area nor did they even tell him that he couldn't film them.

I think that the nightstick is overkill on their part and don't really see a need for it. But I don't live in Philly and if I did, I probably wouldn't mind a little security. Some parts are downright brutal.

I'll save judgment for CNN's interview of them (if they do indeed go out) to see what reason they are given and whether or not the "security" was there of their own volition or was requested.

Too few details to make the leap that you are implying OP.

I absolutely agree that there are WAY too few details to make any conclusions.
If the guy with the camera really was a poll watcher he should have called the police and let them sort it out. The guy with the stick seemed polite. I don't know why he thought they were Black Panthers. Did they have insignia? They looked to have some kind of security guard uniform? Were they the regular building security where the polls were occurring? Did they think that it was therefore their job to guard the polls?

In fact, after careful review, there is ALMOST nothing about this video that could be conclusive and it is BARELY even slightly circumstantial.

My VERY important question is why didn't the supposed poll watcher (remember he never showed any i.d.) didn't call the police and film the response?
I STRONGLY suspect because nothing really bad was happening and the whole thing was a SETUP<

Since you have bent this far backward, do you happen to see that "brown rimmed circle" down there? That's the thing they call "Asshole" and only people like you who has the capability to bend that far backwards are entitled to! Congrats!

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
Originally posted by: JD50
Originally posted by: alien42

True

So what?
its a news blip, not a news story, yet this thread continues to grow. FOX should have done a story on the homeless guy that was keeping an eye at my polling location, i am sure someone felt intimidated.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Originally posted by: palehorse
Originally posted by: bbdub333
Wow... a lot of people are showing how obtuse they are in this thread.

Two members of a supremacist group standing outside a polling place with a weapon? If I were white, and voting there, I would feel intimidated, and I'm sure the majority of other white people would be as well.

Stop trying to make excuses for this, it makes you all look pretty dumb.

What he said.

It seems that too many people here don't know or understand the actual meaning of the word "intimidation."

The mere presence of the two men, armed, very clearly qualifies as intimidation -- the two men would not even have to move or say a single word.

Stay in school kids.

I respect your opinion in this matter, it's logical, but it's still an opinion. That scenario may seem intimidating to you, but how do you know for sure that anyone else that was actually there was intimidated? You're making an assumption. What we need are witnesses that claimed to have been intimidated, or there's no proof.

As previously mentioned, these guys may be violating some other law(s) concerning poll sitting, etc. but we're specifically addressing intimidation in this case.

BMW540I6speed

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005
Pantherama!

A New Fox TV"Reality" TV drama...

I live in the Philly burbs. It seems that Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter is officially sick of the alleged Black Panther guy, who's gotten more airtime on Fox News today than Joe the Plumber.

"It's nonsense. It's a guy standing on the street with some kind of outfit on," Nutter said, "A guy standing on the street, if he's not within 10 feet of the actual voting, he's within the law. If he's not doing anything -- touching anybody, interfering with the right to vote -- this is America, he has the right to stand on the sidewalk in whatever outfit he wants to stand there in, with the exception of his birthday suit."

"They gotta find something to complain about," Nutter said. "We have 1,681 polling places here in the city. We got hundreds of thousands of people voting ... And we got one guy standing on the sidewalk, and now the fate of this entire candidacy is revolving around a guy standing on the sidewalk?"

In other news, swarms of Gray Panthers have fanned out to polling places around FSU and Miami U to intimidate those uppity disrespectful young'uns. You betcha!

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Infohawk
Uhhhh the black guys didn't actually do or say anything...

Uhhhh they don't have to do or say anything for them to be considered "intimidating."

Some of you people really need to go back to school...

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005

Uhhhh they don't have to do or say anything for them to be considered "intimidating."

No shit. How fucked up is it that we live in a time when people are so biased that they can claim a police presence intimates voters, but a couple armed Black Panther wannabes are totally legit.

WTF you hacks?

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
I wonder how everyone here would have perceived the KKK setting up shop outside various polling locations.

"They're not doing anything. They're not actually using those nooses they're lugging around! That cross isn't actually on fire! Come on everyone, nothing to see here!"

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
Originally posted by: jbourne77

No shit. How fucked up is it that we live in a time when people are so biased that they can claim a police presence intimates voters, but a couple armed Black Panther wannabes are totally legit.

WTF you hacks?

Whatever reason could minorities have to fear police? Beyond decades of profiling, intimidation and outright oppression.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Dancing around the facts of the matter still doesn't prove actual intimidation occurred.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: tweaker2
Dancing around the facts of the matter still doesn't prove actual intimidation occurred.

The guy is standing outside in a uniform with a bat and has the cops called on him, cops proceed to run him off but he "wasn't" intimidating anyone...

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: CitizenKain
Originally posted by: jbourne77

WTF you hacks?

Whatever reason could minorities have to fear police? Beyond decades of profiling, intimidation and outright oppression.

I hope you like your crew cut.

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
the national gaurd at the airports after 9/11 intimidated me. Didn't stop me from flying.
Hell, they had guns

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: redly1
the national gaurd at the airports after 9/11 intimidated me. Didn't stop me from flying.
Hell, they had guns

So you would have been ok with the KKK out there?

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Fox news cooked it up and served it for lunch. By dinner they had already tossed the leftovers. Quick Response Vehicle indeed.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Budmantom
Originally posted by: tweaker2

The guy is standing outside in a uniform with a bat and has the cops called on him, cops proceed to run him off but he "wasn't" intimidating anyone...

Did the Cops "run him off"? I saw some stepping away, but a few steps does not equal "off".

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002

you have nothing to fear if you aren't doing anything wrong... welcome to the america you voted for

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
BLACK POWER!

:laugh: