CNN - Student video of armed black panthers intimidating white voters for Obama

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
Details. The devil is always in them.

There are no real details here other than a couple of guys dressed as panthers standing outside of a polling station claiming to be security.

They in no way impeded the entrance to anyone. There was another white man standing next to them (they must have really intimidated him :roll: ). The "interviewer" only asked them two questions (who are you? security & why do you have the nightstick? no response). He did not get access denied to the polling place (that we could see) nor did he film long enough to see if a single person was denied let alone "only whites".

Like I tried to state earlier, you can make almost any situation look horrible if you only show a small part of it. Hell, I could make Jesus look like a whore-loving anarchist with only showing him standing near prostitutes talking about not bowing down to any man.

But if you guys still want to jump to conclusions....feel free.

IF the guy's accusations are verified, I will be the first to bash the panthers for trying to intimidate any voters. If they are not part of the panthers and/or shown to not have denied a single person access to the polls, will you guys do the same? Somehow, I doubt it.

I dont think you know what "intimidation" means. They dont have to physically block anything. A militant racist group with weapons standing anywhere NEAR a polling place deserves quick action by the police.

Ferocious

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2000
Looks like the problem was solved! Good job police.

Although it seems odd that the camera dude just happend to show up after the two intimidators were there and before the police showed up.

beyoku

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2003
Originally posted by: aphex
I didn't even know Black Panthers were still around. Didn't the movement die out in the 70's?

Yeah literally they were "killed out" lol

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: 351Cleveland
I see the guy with the camera making the accusation, but I don't see the panthers (if they truly are) intimidating him. They did not in any way tell him he could not enter nor imped his way into the voting area nor did they even tell him that he couldn't film them.

I think that the nightstick is overkill on their part and don't really see a need for it. But I don't live in Philly and if I did, I probably wouldn't mind a little security. Some parts are downright brutal.

I'll save judgment for CNN's interview of them (if they do indeed go out) to see what reason they are given and whether or not the "security" was there of their own volition or was requested.

Too few details to make the leap that you are implying OP.

While I aplaud your willingness to grant the benefit of the doubt, you are bending over backwards to avoid the obvious. Two black gentlemen standing out side a polling site, onoe armed with a night stick, dressed all in black with, (from what I could gather) Black Panther regalia on. The man that called the police (who isnt the one with the camera) has alleged that, at a minimum, they were impeding and intimidating voters.

We talk about stationing police at poll sites, and you (yes you imparticular) are up in arms that it is intimidation. Here we have a couple of gentlemen whose primary GOAL appears to be intimidation, and you bend over so far backwards for them that you can smell your feet. What's wrong with that picture?

At a minimum, they had no business being there, especially armed. They have no business providing "security." If security was needed, then the PROPER authorities should have been called. You cannot possibly say with a straight face and an honest heart that these guys were there for any legitimate reasons.

EDIT: As far as the OP's "implication," there was an interview with the person who called the police. He relayed his experience at that particular polling station with these two gentlemen, which was unquestionably intimidation. Now, you need to assess whether or not he is credible. Impossible to do unless you can research him, which nobody has any interest in doing. I will say that I am CONFIDENT that if this had been a BLACK man calling the police on the Klan, you would give no quarter. I would bet my life and fortune on it.

Very good rebuttal.

I'm not bending over backwards for them. I could really care less about them and would hope that if the accusations are true, they are punished by whatever the courts decide.

However, like with the "Obama supporter robber" story, there is way too little information for a conclusion to be drawn.

Also, where is the interview with the other person? Why didn't the person that was there filming (if he got there prior to the police) stay and film the police or post that video as well?

Once again, too few details to draw a conclusion. I am not about to jump on the OMGZ!!! LOOK AT THE (insert opposing political party here) SUPPORTERS TRYING TO KEEP US FROM VOTING!!!! bandwagon until a little more proof than a 97 second youtube video is given as the smoking gun.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
I see the guy with the camera making the accusation, but I don't see the panthers (if they truly are) intimidating him. They did not in any way tell him he could not enter nor imped his way into the voting area nor did they even tell him that he couldn't film them.

I think that the nightstick is overkill on their part and don't really see a need for it. But I don't live in Philly and if I did, I probably wouldn't mind a little security. Some parts are downright brutal.

I'll save judgment for CNN's interview of them (if they do indeed go out) to see what reason they are given and whether or not the "security" was there of their own volition or was requested.

Still feel the same way?

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: bamacre

Still feel the same way?

Nope. Those men could have just actually tripped and landed into a pointed sheet. I will wait until a full federal investagation PROVES that these men were in the KKK.

Not enough details to decide.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
Originally posted by: techs

I absolutely agree that there are WAY too few details to make any conclusions.
If the guy with the camera really was a poll watcher he should have called the police and let them sort it out. The guy with the stick seemed polite. I don't know why he thought they were Black Panthers. Did they have insignia? They looked to have some kind of security guard uniform? Were they the regular building security where the polls were occurring? Did they think that it was therefore their job to guard the polls?

In fact, after careful review, there is ALMOST nothing about this video that could be conclusive and it is BARELY even slightly circumstantial.

My VERY important question is why didn't the supposed poll watcher (remember he never showed any i.d.) didn't call the police and film the response?
I STRONGLY suspect because nothing really bad was happening and the whole thing was a SETUP<

Wow. You have gone off the deep-end man.

Anyway, cops were called:

http://www.breitbart.tv/html/213313.html

Still no real info. All we see is the cops pulling them over to talk to them.
Though, if they were really part of a militant group, or even the Girl Scouts and they were standing in front of the polling place in dress that looked official and holding a stick or a club and they were not there as part of the election process, this is wrong.
Wait, where did they get the idea to do this?
Oh, that's right. FROM THE REPUBLICANS!
Help me out here. In what state did the Republican party hire off duty police officers and pay them to dress in black with their sidearms visible at black polling places?
Can't seem to remember the state.

Oh wait. Now I remember:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballot_Security_Task_Force

The National Ballot Security Task Force were a controversial group set up in the United States of America by the Republican National Committee in 1981, in New Jersey in a bid to win a gubernatorial election. They were alleged to have carried out 'voter-suppression' and intimidation.

The force consisted of a group of armed, off-duty police officers wearing armbands, who were hired to patrol polling sites in black and Hispanic neighborhoods of Newark and Trenton.[1]

Initially, letters were mailed out (using an outdated voter registration list) to largely Latino and African-American citizens.[2] 45,000 letters were returned as non-deliverable; these 45,000 addresses were converted into a list of voters.[3] These voters were challenged by the BSTF. The Republican National Committee filed a request for election supervisors to strike these voters from the rolls, but the Commissioners of Registration refused when they discovered that the RNC had used outdated information.[4]

On Election Day, the BSTF posted large signs, without identification and with an official appearance, reading:

WARNING
THIS AREA IS BEING PATROLLED BY THE
NATIONAL BALLOT
SECURITY TASK FORCE
IT IS A CRIME TO FALSIFY A BALLOT OR
TO VIOLATE ELECTION LAWS[5]

The armed officers were drawn from the ranks of off-duty county deputy sheriffs and local police, and prominently displayed revolvers, two-way radios and BSTF armbands. BSTF patrols challenged and questioned voters at the polls and blocked the way of some prospective voters.[4]

The court order that resulted was invoked in a number of similar incidents throughout the 1980s and early 1990s. The pattern of sending mailings and creating questionable challenge lists is a model that has also endured, and has been compared by Democrats to the Republican use (and alleged misuse) of the 'scrub list' in Florida during the Presidential election in 2000.[8]

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007

While I aplaud your willingness to grant the benefit of the doubt, you are bending over backwards to avoid the obvious. Two black gentlemen standing out side a polling site, onoe armed with a night stick, dressed all in black with, (from what I could gather) Black Panther regalia on. The man that called the police (who isnt the one with the camera) has alleged that, at a minimum, they were impeding and intimidating voters.

We talk about stationing police at poll sites, and you (yes you imparticular) are up in arms that it is intimidation. Here we have a couple of gentlemen whose primary GOAL appears to be intimidation, and you bend over so far backwards for them that you can smell your feet. What's wrong with that picture?

At a minimum, they had no business being there, especially armed. They have no business providing "security." If security was needed, then the PROPER authorities should have been called. You cannot possibly say with a straight face and an honest heart that these guys were there for any legitimate reasons.

EDIT: As far as the OP's "implication," there was an interview with the person who called the police. He relayed his experience at that particular polling station with these two gentlemen, which was unquestionably intimidation. Now, you need to assess whether or not he is credible. Impossible to do unless you can research him, which nobody has any interest in doing. I will say that I am CONFIDENT that if this had been a BLACK man calling the police on the Klan, you would give no quarter. I would bet my life and fortune on it.

Very good rebuttal.

I'm not bending over backwards for them. I could really care less about them and would hope that if the accusations are true, they are punished by whatever the courts decide.

However, like with the "Obama supporter robber" story, there is way too little information for a conclusion to be drawn.

Also, where is the interview with the other person? Why didn't the person that was there filming (if he got there prior to the police) stay and film the police or post that video as well?

Once again, too few details to draw a conclusion. I am not about to jump on the OMGZ!!! LOOK AT THE (insert opposing political party here) SUPPORTERS TRYING TO KEEP US FROM VOTING!!!! bandwagon until a little more proof than a 97 second youtube video is given as the smoking gun.

What accusations are you referring to? No accusations need be verified, as their mere presence at the polling station, especially holding night sticks, is where they are wrong. Their presence alone is their form of intimidation, whether it is intentional or not in their warped little minds.

351Cleveland

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001

There are no real details here other than a couple of guys dressed as panthers standing outside of a polling station claiming to be security.

They in no way impeded the entrance to anyone. There was another white man standing next to them (they must have really intimidated him :roll: ). The "interviewer" only asked them two questions (who are you? security & why do you have the nightstick? no response). He did not get access denied to the polling place (that we could see) nor did he film long enough to see if a single person was denied let alone "only whites".

Like I tried to state earlier, you can make almost any situation look horrible if you only show a small part of it. Hell, I could make Jesus look like a whore-loving anarchist with only showing him standing near prostitutes talking about not bowing down to any man.

IF the guy's accusations are verified, I will be the first to bash the panthers for trying to intimidate any voters. If they are not part of the panthers and/or shown to not have denied a single person access to the polls, will you guys do the same? Somehow, I doubt it.

And magical fairies might sprinkle them with pixie dust and they would be angels.

You would not let police stand at the polls because you would be afraid they would intimidate voters... THE PEOPLE WHO WE PAY TAX DOLLARS TO PROTECT US... yet these gentlmen get every benefit of doubt from you. Who cared if they were Black Panthers or not... they had no business being there.

Oh why do I try. I swear you liberals just spout gibberish to make us conservatives throw our hands up in complete frustration and just give up... and you guys are damned good at it too :)

MidasKnight

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2004
Vote by mail .... Works great here in Oregon ... no lines / no electronic mishaps .... no intimidation or repression.

/thread

351Cleveland

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Ocguy31

I absolutely agree that there are WAY too few details to make any conclusions.
If the guy with the camera really was a poll watcher he should have called the police and let them sort it out. The guy with the stick seemed polite. I don't know why he thought they were Black Panthers. Did they have insignia? They looked to have some kind of security guard uniform? Were they the regular building security where the polls were occurring? Did they think that it was therefore their job to guard the polls?

In fact, after careful review, there is ALMOST nothing about this video that could be conclusive and it is BARELY even slightly circumstantial.

My VERY important question is why didn't the supposed poll watcher (remember he never showed any i.d.) didn't call the police and film the response?
I STRONGLY suspect because nothing really bad was happening and the whole thing was a SETUP<

Wow. You have gone off the deep-end man.

Anyway, cops were called:

http://www.breitbart.tv/html/213313.html

Still no real info. All we see is the cops pulling them over to talk to them.
Though, if they were really part of a militant group, or even the Girl Scouts and they were standing in front of the polling place in dress that looked official and holding a stick or a club and they were not there as part of the election process, this is wrong.
Wait, where did they get the idea to do this?
Oh, that's right. FROM THE REPUBLICANS!
Help me out here. In what state did the Republican party hire off duty police officers and pay them to dress in black with their sidearms visible at black polling places?
Can't seem to remember the state.

Oh wait. Now I remember:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballot_Security_Task_Force

The National Ballot Security Task Force were a controversial group set up in the United States of America by the Republican National Committee in 1981, in New Jersey in a bid to win a gubernatorial election. They were alleged to have carried out 'voter-suppression' and intimidation.

The force consisted of a group of armed, off-duty police officers wearing armbands, who were hired to patrol polling sites in black and Hispanic neighborhoods of Newark and Trenton.[1]

Initially, letters were mailed out (using an outdated voter registration list) to largely Latino and African-American citizens.[2] 45,000 letters were returned as non-deliverable; these 45,000 addresses were converted into a list of voters.[3] These voters were challenged by the BSTF. The Republican National Committee filed a request for election supervisors to strike these voters from the rolls, but the Commissioners of Registration refused when they discovered that the RNC had used outdated information.[4]

On Election Day, the BSTF posted large signs, without identification and with an official appearance, reading:

WARNING
THIS AREA IS BEING PATROLLED BY THE
NATIONAL BALLOT
SECURITY TASK FORCE
IT IS A CRIME TO FALSIFY A BALLOT OR
TO VIOLATE ELECTION LAWS[5]

The armed officers were drawn from the ranks of off-duty county deputy sheriffs and local police, and prominently displayed revolvers, two-way radios and BSTF armbands. BSTF patrols challenged and questioned voters at the polls and blocked the way of some prospective voters.[4]

The court order that resulted was invoked in a number of similar incidents throughout the 1980s and early 1990s. The pattern of sending mailings and creating questionable challenge lists is a model that has also endured, and has been compared by Democrats to the Republican use (and alleged misuse) of the 'scrub list' in Florida during the Presidential election in 2000.[8]

so.... tit for tat? is that the logic we are running on here? or is this just a huge misdirect?

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: bamacre

Still feel the same way?

Are they licensed to carry a fully automated weapon?

If yes and they were brave enough to show their faces so that their entire neighborhood knew who the racist cowards who lived beside them were, sure. If they don't have the proper permits (which they can't possibly seeing how that is a banned weapon) or they refuse to show their faces, then no.

Anyway, since moving from Mississippi, I don't worry about situations like that as much. ;)

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
This thread is lulz. *IF* this was a systematic problem, I could see it as relevant. As it is, it's just two nutbags being stupid in one particular polling place. Look for a lot more idiots out there from both sides of the spectrum as this election unfolds.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001

Are they licensed to carry a fully automated weapon?

If yes and they were brave enough to show their faces so that their entire neighborhood knew who the racist cowards who lived beside them were, sure. If they don't have the proper permits (which they can't possibly seeing how that is a banned weapon) or they refuse to show their faces, then no.

Anyway, since moving from Mississippi, I don't worry about situations like that as much. ;)

You need to research some gun laws before you ever mention anything about them again in a public place. At least you didn't post in all bold.

Aug 23, 2000

Watch the video. Intimidation is based on the mere presence of someone with a weapon. But spew your typical Obama cock sucking love in that he nor his followers can do no wrong.
The only security they offer is trying to secure the nomination for Chancellor Obama.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000

And magical fairies might sprinkle them with pixie dust and they would be angels.

You would not let police stand at the polls because you would be afraid they would intimidate voters... THE PEOPLE WHO WE PAY TAX DOLLARS TO PROTECT US... yet these gentlmen get every benefit of doubt from you. Who cared if they were Black Panthers or not... they had no business being there.

Oh why do I try. I swear you liberals just spout gibberish to make us conservatives throw our hands up in complete frustration and just give up... and you guys are damned good at it too :)

If no one attempting to vote was intimidated, then there was no intimidation.

It needs to be proven by those that claim intimidation occurred at that site that actual intimidation occurred to those that were there to vote before the claim can be justified.

I can make an equally unqualified statement by saying that those who were using that polling station to vote might have actually appreciated those two fellows being there to prevent hooligans from causing trouble.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Huh? Camera dude sees someone with Billy Club, makes an accusation of "Intimidation", calls Cops, Cops ask the Billy Club guy to come for a chat about people being "Intimidated". Camera dude shows no actual "Intimidation", other than a Billy Club. Unless something happened off camera, this almost looks like someone "Making news", not actually Reporting news.

bbdub333

Aug 21, 2007
Wow... a lot of people are showing how obtuse they are in this thread.

Two members of a supremacist group standing outside a polling place with a weapon? If I were white, and voting there, I would feel intimidated, and I'm sure the majority of other white people would be as well.

Stop trying to make excuses for this, it makes you all look pretty dumb.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
So Rick Leventhal's assignment on this Election Day was to drive around Philadelphia in what they call the QRV: quick response vehicle, looking for voter intimidation?

Imagine that, they found it, too!

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: sandorski
Huh? Camera dude sees someone with Billy Club, makes an accusation of "Intimidation", calls Cops, Cops ask the Billy Club guy to come for a chat about people being "Intimidated". Camera dude shows no actual "Intimidation", other than a Billy Club. Unless something happened off camera, this almost looks like someone "Making news", not actually Reporting news.

LOL.

So a White Power group can stand out in front of the polls with weapons, as long as they dont actually do anything, right?

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
If this were whites in Alabama carrying baseball bats with the intention of intimidating black voters from voting Obama, the libs here would be singing a VERY different tune.