CNN - Student video of armed black panthers intimidating white voters for Obama

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
I didn't even know Black Panthers were still around. Didn't the movement die out in the 70's?

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: alchemize
Originally posted by: Baked
More actors hired by the McCain camp to stir shit up.
Yes, definitely Rove at work here.

OC: fine tune your sarcasm meter :)

It can be hard to tell sometimes on this forum

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
funny. when fox news were talking about it people were saying its funny and fake.

ScottyB

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: aphex
I didn't even know Black Panthers were still around. Didn't the movement die out in the 70's?

That's what my mom said when I told her. LOL.

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005

they have a "new" black panthers orginization that is the equivilant to the KKK.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
I see the guy with the camera making the accusation, but I don't see the panthers (if they truly are) intimidating him. They did not in any way tell him he could not enter nor imped his way into the voting area nor did they even tell him that he couldn't film them.

I think that the nightstick is overkill on their part and don't really see a need for it. But I don't live in Philly and if I did, I probably wouldn't mind a little security. Some parts are downright brutal.

I'll save judgment for CNN's interview of them (if they do indeed go out) to see what reason they are given and whether or not the "security" was there of their own volition or was requested.

Too few details to make the leap that you are implying OP.

351Cleveland

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: MikeyLSU

they have a "new" black panthers orginization that is the equivilant to the KKK.

What, they werent equivalent to the KKK in the 60's and 70's? We talking about the same group here?

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
I see the guy with the camera making the accusation, but I don't see the panthers (if they truly are) intimidating him. They did not in any way tell him he could not enter nor imped his way into the voting area nor did they even tell him that he couldn't film them.

I think that the nightstick is overkill on their part and don't really see a need for it. But I don't live in Philly and if I did, I probably wouldn't mind a little security. Some parts are downright brutal.

I'll save judgment for CNN's interview of them (if they do indeed go out) to see what reason they are given and whether or not the "security" was there of their own volition or was requested.

CNN's interview will be fucking horrible.

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: waggy
funny. when fox news were talking about it people were saying its funny and fake.

no one said this video was funny in that thread did they?

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
obama is also irish and cherokee. so if he wins, he'll be the 17th irish president and the 1st native american president.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007

Dude, you cant be fucking serious. IF this video is legit, and it appears to be, having people like that stand outside a polling place is entirely unacceptable.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001

The Black Panthers have basically become a black supremacist group, similar to the KKK for whites. Would you have a problem with two Klansmen in white hoods standing outside of a polling location holding sticks?

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: 351Cleveland

What, they werent equivalent to the KKK in the 60's and 70's? We talking about the same group here?

they are not affilitated with the original black panthers, and in fact the original black panthers object to them using the name.

Read up on new black panthers on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Black_Panthers

They are an org of hate and have called for "calling for the extermination of whites in South Africa".

351Cleveland

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001

While I aplaud your willingness to grant the benefit of the doubt, you are bending over backwards to avoid the obvious. Two black gentlemen standing out side a polling site, onoe armed with a night stick, dressed all in black with, (from what I could gather) Black Panther regalia on. The man that called the police (who isnt the one with the camera) has alleged that, at a minimum, they were impeding and intimidating voters.

We talk about stationing police at poll sites, and you (yes you imparticular) are up in arms that it is intimidation. Here we have a couple of gentlemen whose primary GOAL appears to be intimidation, and you bend over so far backwards for them that you can smell your feet. What's wrong with that picture?

At a minimum, they had no business being there, especially armed. They have no business providing "security." If security was needed, then the PROPER authorities should have been called. You cannot possibly say with a straight face and an honest heart that these guys were there for any legitimate reasons.

EDIT: As far as the OP's "implication," there was an interview with the person who called the police. He relayed his experience at that particular polling station with these two gentlemen, which was unquestionably intimidation. Now, you need to assess whether or not he is credible. Impossible to do unless you can research him, which nobody has any interest in doing. I will say that I am CONFIDENT that if this had been a BLACK man calling the police on the Klan, you would give no quarter. I would bet my life and fortune on it.

351Cleveland

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001

they are not affilitated with the original black panthers, and in fact the original black panthers object to them using the name.

Read up on new black panthers on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Black_Panthers

They are an org of hate and have called for "calling for the extermination of whites in South Africa".

Okay. I take your word for it.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000

I absolutely agree that there are WAY too few details to make any conclusions.
If the guy with the camera really was a poll watcher he should have called the police and let them sort it out. The guy with the stick seemed polite. I don't know why he thought they were Black Panthers. Did they have insignia? They looked to have some kind of security guard uniform? Were they the regular building security where the polls were occurring? Did they think that it was therefore their job to guard the polls?

In fact, after careful review, there is ALMOST nothing about this video that could be conclusive and it is BARELY even slightly circumstantial.

My VERY important question is why didn't the supposed poll watcher (remember he never showed any i.d.) didn't call the police and film the response?
I STRONGLY suspect because nothing really bad was happening and the whole thing was a SETUP<

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007

While I aplaud your willingness to grant the benefit of the doubt, you are bending over backwards to avoid the obvious. Two black gentlemen standing out side a polling site, onoe armed with a night stick, dressed all in black with, (from what I could gather) Black Panther regalia on. The man that called the police (who isnt the one with the camera) has alleged that, at a minimum, they were impeding and intimidating voters.

We talk about stationing police at poll sites, and you (yes you imparticular) are up in arms that it is intimidation. Here we have a couple of gentlemen whose primary GOAL appears to be intimidation, and you bend over so far backwards for them that you can smell your feet. What's wrong with that picture?

At a minimum, they had no business being there, especially armed. They have no business providing "security." If security was needed, then the PROPER authorities should have been called. You cannot possibly say with a straight face and an honest heart that these guys were there for any legitimate reasons.

Well said.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: techs

I absolutely agree that there are WAY too few details to make any conclusions.
If the guy with the camera really was a poll watcher he should have called the police and let them sort it out. The guy with the stick seemed polite. I don't know why he thought they were Black Panthers. Did they have insignia? They looked to have some kind of security guard uniform? Were they the regular building security where the polls were occurring? Did they think that it was therefore their job to guard the polls?

In fact, after careful review, there is ALMOST nothing about this video that could be conclusive and it is BARELY even slightly circumstantial.

My VERY important question is why didn't the supposed poll watcher (remember he never showed any i.d.) didn't call the police and film the response?
I STRONGLY suspect because nothing really bad was happening and the whole thing was a SETUP<

Wow. You have gone off the deep-end man.

Anyway, cops were called:

http://www.breitbart.tv/html/213313.html

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Details. The devil is always in them.

There are no real details here other than a couple of guys dressed as panthers standing outside of a polling station claiming to be security.

They in no way impeded the entrance to anyone. There was another white man standing next to them (they must have really intimidated him :roll: ). The "interviewer" only asked them two questions (who are you? security & why do you have the nightstick? no response). He did not get access denied to the polling place (that we could see) nor did he film long enough to see if a single person was denied let alone "only whites".

Like I tried to state earlier, you can make almost any situation look horrible if you only show a small part of it. Hell, I could make Jesus look like a whore-loving anarchist with only showing him standing near prostitutes talking about not bowing down to any man.

But if you guys still want to jump to conclusions....feel free.

IF the guy's accusations are verified, I will be the first to bash the panthers for trying to intimidate any voters. If they are not part of the panthers and/or shown to not have denied a single person access to the polls, will you guys do the same? Somehow, I doubt it.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Mxylplyx
IF this video is legit, and it appears to be, having people like that stand outside a polling place is entirely unacceptable.

"People like that" eh? Well said Ross Perot.

;)