CNN showing pics of Saddams sons bodys now

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bulk Beef

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
dont you get it that is not the point, they were meant for "political purposes" of convincing Iraqies that they were dead
Exactly Czar, that is the reason, not an "excuse".

seawolf21

Feb 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Kojak
Originally posted by: bolinger
And Americans whine like school girls when al-Jazeera shows dead US soldiers on TV.

This is for different reasons and displayed under reluctance. You should know better.

What difference is that? It's done for propaganda. We're doing it to convince Iraqis the old guard is not coming back to influence them to cooperate with us. The Iraqis did it to convince the America public that this is what's going to happen to your soldiers to influence us to call our senators.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: alchemize
Originally posted by: lozina
Originally posted by: alchemize
Originally posted by: shuan24
Well, given the technology Iraq has rite now, 20 bucks says no Iraqi has ever heard of our friend Mr. Photoshop. So, we claim anything we want, and have picture "proof" as well! How bout this for a headline:

"Saddam Hussein is actually MRS Saddam Hussein, and we have the pictures to prove it!"

8====D:Q

Didn't take long for a conspiracy theorist to jump in.
rolleye.gif

You're on the same boat if you believe everything you are told without questioning.

I seen some of the other photos and they are more convincing, but I still dont fully buy it yet: I'm very suspicous at why they would have such horrible quality photos when they are trying to prove something so important.

OK Let's just debunk the whole "faking it" theory right now with a logical arguement. Let's assaume Uday and Quasay are still alive and the US is faking it. What would I do if I was one of the wonder twins to put huge egg on the face of the US? How about a polaroid with a newspaper dated 7/24/03. Hand it to a Baath buddy to be sent off to al-jazeera.

They are dead. Don't be idiots. The US isn't playing that game...if they were, WMD evidence would have already been planted, and this would have been done long ago.

I don't believe everything I'm told without questioning. But I am intelligent enough to note a logical gap about a mile wide in assuming conspiracy.

Oh wait maybe they actually turned themselves in, and the US agreed to put them in the witness protection program, and once they interview them, they are going to be plumbers in New Jersey with different identities. You watch too many movies...

Has Osama Bin Laden presented a picture of himself with the current newspaper? Or how about Saddam hussein? Do you believe they are dead too then?

It's good to have an open mind, especially under these circumstances.

Bulk Beef

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
Has Osama Bin Laden presented a picture of himself with the current newspaper? Or how about Saddam hussein? Do you believe they are dead too then?
Nobody has claimed that they are. Kind of a crucial difference for the purposes of this discussion.

Macro2

Diamond Member
May 20, 2000
--------------------
If it's worth anything, they also released x-rays and I believe dental records.
--------------------

Yep, the dental records on one were 100% match and on the other they were 90% because he got shot in the mouth and a few teeth were missing.

What else to do people want?

I suppose they can do DNA if they have an original sample.

A lot of Iraqis feared these giuys. It was necessary to put up their pics to show the Iraqi people they were dead.

The liberal bush haters are coming out in force I see...how dare we assinate them they say!

chrisms

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2003
Originally posted by: Tripleshot
What do you want to bet that security is doubled or tripled for Bush daughters?;)

That's a good question. I'm sure there is a group out there who has them as serious targets now.

But I'd assume that any group would rather focus on getting Bush or Cheney.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: seawolf21
And Americans whine like school girls when al-Jazeera shows dead US soldiers on TV.

This is for different reasons and displayed under reluctance. You should know better.

What difference is that? It's done for propaganda. We're doing it to convince Iraqis the old guard is not coming back to influence them to cooperate with us. The Iraqis did it to convince the America public that this is what's going to happen to your soldiers to influence us to call our senators.

It was done to counter the fallacious notion that they were in fact not dead, as propagated by some Iraqis, some Western news agencies, some other news agencies, and some people on this board. The intent was to prove the veracity of the US in this matter.

It's good to have an open mind, especially under these circumstances.

One or both of them have probably been wounded or have been sick and show it. Releasing a picture or a video would prove that the US has them running scared and would probably do more harm than good.

An "open mind" does not mean staring a fact squarely in the face and doubting its existence. That's called lunacy.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: AndrewR

One or both of them have probably been wounded or have been sick and show it. Releasing a picture or a video would prove that the US has them running scared and would probably do more harm than good.

An "open mind" does not mean staring a fact squarely in the face and doubting its existence. That's called lunacy.

The fact is, those pictures are suspiciously poor quality. If I made a bold claim like Saddam Hussein was dead, and I had his dead body- I would use a high quality camera (which is very cheap nowadays) or even contact a journalist in the area to take the photo for me. If I had my own camera and the room was as dark as the situation of those 2 figures, I would use a special feature of my camera called "flash" (which was invented in 1927) .

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
It is a crappy picture, but you can bet it's them. It was rightly pointed out that if these two showed up later, the crap would hit the fan. Not even Bush is that dumb.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: WinstonSmith
It is a crappy picture, but you can bet it's them. It was rightly pointed out that if these two showed up later, the crap would hit the fan. Not even Bush is that dumb.

I've never said I believe they are alive or dead, I'm just pointing out the half-assed way the Pentagon goes about trying to prove something to the World.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000

I've never said I believe they are alive or dead, I'm just pointing out the half-assed way the Pentagon goes about trying to prove something to the World.

You just saw poor quality repro's. The ones provided on the CD given to news agencies are of relatively high quality.

seawolf21

Feb 27, 2003

It was done to counter the fallacious notion that they were in fact not dead, as propagated by some Iraqis, some Western news agencies, some other news agencies, and some people on this board. The intent was to prove the veracity of the US in this matter.

Again, what difference is there? The pictures of dead US soliders proved that US soliders were dying. It was broadcast as propaganda by Al-Jazeera and it is now propaganda by the Pentagon. The bottom line is that Rumsfield is not much better than those who decided to broadcast dead American soliders.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

Again, what difference is there? The pictures of dead US soliders proved that US soliders were dying. It was broadcast as propaganda by Al-Jazeera and it is now propaganda by the Pentagon. The bottom line is that Rumsfield is not much better than those who decided to broadcast dead American soliders.

You want "proof" then blast them for showing proof. Nice.

CkG

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Lucky

You just saw poor quality repro's. The ones provided on the CD given to news agencies are of relatively high quality.

On the news tonight, they said the Iraqi people believe that they are fake. Can you blame them? Who would trust an American besides cadguy?

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
On the news tonight, they said the Iraqi people believe that they are fake. Can you blame them? Who would trust an American besides cadguy?

Gee, an unsourced news agency allegedy find a couple of unnamed iraqis and got them to say they think they are fake. Very convincing!

seawolf21

Feb 27, 2003
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

You want "proof" then blast them for showing proof. Nice.

CkG

Please respond with some substance. I never said I wanted proof on capture/killing of the members of the old regime. The only proof I want were WMDs. Last I checked, those two were not considered WMDs. I'm also not saying whether I agree/disagree with broadcasting dead people on international media. Let's remove Rumsfield aside.

How is Al-Jazeera broadcasting dead US soliders any different from American media broadcasting the dead sons of Saddam?