CNN Poll: Clinton and Sanders both 'easily top' Trump and all other Reps

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
http://us.cnn.com/2016/03/01/politics/donald-trump-hillary-clinton-bernie-sanders-poll/index.html

In the scenario that appears most likely to emerge from the primary contests, Clinton tops Trump 52% to 44% among registered voters. That result has tilted in Clinton's favor since the last CNN/ORC Poll on the match-up in January.
[...]
Sanders -- who enjoys the most positive favorable rating of any presidential candidate in the field, according to the poll -- tops all three Republicans by wide margins: 57% to 40% against Cruz, 55% to 43% against Trump, and 53% to 45% against Rubio.

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
Of course, Sanders I know will beat Trump.

The reason for Clintons numbers is the voters have very little information on Clinton. That will change like trump did to Bush. He will educate the voters on Clinton. Something the media/DNC has been unwilling to do.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002

The reason for Clintons numbers is the voters have very little information on Clinton. That will change like trump did to Bush. He will educate the voters on Clinton. Something the media/DNC has been unwilling to do.
Voters have very little information on Clinton? Seriously? Man, I want some of whatever you're smoking.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
This is now before we see what Trump vs. Hillary looks like after the primaries. Trump has destroyed the establishment candidates so far.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Wait what. Clinton is one of the best known politicians in the country. Did you mean to write Sanders instead?

Trump is a high variance candidate in my mind, but by far the one I would like to face in the general election. There is just so, so much ammunition to use against him.

Not only that, but it will be amusing to see all the republicans who have said he was so terrible and to suddenly declare he is the right choice after all. Partisanship trumps all! Har har.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
The poll numbers will change once Trump eviscerates them in the debates. They are such easy targets. Trump will face more competition from inside the GOP.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Like others have said, she is a sitting duck for Trump in the debates. But enjoy the early polling! :biggrin:

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
The 2016 POTUS election will be summed up as: Professional IntentionalMisleader vs Professional Egomaniac; although in fairness to Trump, the ego of Billary is probably as equally massive. Pick!

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
MSM. Trump will make America great again. And if he doesn't Hillary will. Her and Bill have the experience.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
I think Trump will need to change up his game a bit if he is nominated against Clinton. He could strengthen the democratic core by going too over the top with her.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I think Trump will need to change up his game a bit if he is nominated against Clinton. He could strengthen the democratic core by going too over the top with her.

He will have to change up his game I think if he wants to win as the general election voters look nothing like Republican primary voters. The things he's been doing that have made Republicans love him has been making everyone else hate him. This is why his net favorability ratings have declined so much with independents since the primary started.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
This is now before we see what Trump vs. Hillary looks like after the primaries. Trump has destroyed the establishment candidates so far.

You mean republican establishment candidates. A week ago, all but Kasich looked like a gaggle of petulant 8 year olds exchanging call-downs.

Trump's candidacy is the perverse Justice that the Repub Party so richly deserves.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Trump will just have to be Trump. No one wants a return of the Clinton years. The never ending prosperity, so boring. Yawn.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Vote Trump! Because you have the intellect and maturity of a 3rd grader and you want your President to also.

Vote Carson! Because the severely mentally ill need a candidate that's one of their own.

Vote Hillary! We get Bill again if Hillary goes to prison, right?

Vote <takes a sip of water> Ru <takes a sip of water><reads script again> bio<reads script again> Exclamation point.

Vote Bernie! No, seriously, vote Bernie.

Vote Cru... Nope, sorry. Can't do it. My skin just tried to crawl away and I threw up in my mouth a bit.

JockoJohnson

Golden Member
May 20, 2009
I have read multiple times that it is too early to trust any polls. Is there any reason to believe that this one is any different?

All I know at this point is that it is going to be one helluva ride down the rollercoaster of the primaries. I just don't see anything going uphill for this ride in the end.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
He will have to change up his game I think if he wants to win as the general election voters look nothing like Republican primary voters. The things he's been doing that have made Republicans love him has been making everyone else hate him. This is why his net favorability ratings have declined so much with independents since the primary started.

Pretty much. I'm still trying to figure out how they came up with the audience for the last debate. I figure they were bussed in from Houston trailer parks with lots of free drinks along the way.

The spectacle of the remaining debates will only intensify America's disgust with Trump & the Repub Party.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Like others have said, she is a sitting duck for Trump in the debates. But enjoy the early polling! :biggrin:

Lol... The indoctrination on the right is amazing. If Trump wins, it will be an epic loss and unmitigated disaster for the Republican party.

How would Trump even debate Hilary? He doesn't have any mastery of US affairs and his school yard taunts are going to be hard to stomach when going up against a woman.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I have read multiple times that it is too early to trust any polls. Is there any reason to believe that this one is any different?

All I know at this point is that it is going to be one helluva ride down the rollercoaster of the primaries. I just don't see anything going uphill for this ride in the end.

Although you make a good point, I think the season is well on down the road enough to where the veracity of some polls can be, with caution and diligence, accepted with some confidence, although it would be nice to have other reputable polls confirm this CNN one.

Per your other point, yes, I agree. It's like craving for a nice BBQ'd steak dinner but being offered a choice between a turd sandwich with a side of elegantly prepared bullshit on a silver platter or with a side of bullshit that's smacked into your face.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001

The reason that you should distrust polls this early out is that anything can happen.
  • For example, Clinton could be proven to be the Anti-Christ and her voters will plunge.
  • For example, Trump could be proven to be the Anti-Christ and his voters will skyrocket.
But, barring some major event, poll averages are reasonably accurate well before the election. Obama won by 3.9% (51.1% to 47.2%) over Romney in Nov. 2012. The first polling averages here were quite accurate starting a full 1.5 years earlier:
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/us/general_election_romney_vs_obama-1171.html

They had Obama at about +4% over Romney from basically Feb to Sept 2011 and most of 2012. RealClearPolitics leans a bit to the Republican side in their choice of polls, but it wasn't really that far off. There were only a couple very temporary blips (for 1 day only here and there) when Romney was ahead in that link over the course of about 1.5 years of polling. Some blips are expected with random polling data and margin of error noise. You have to try to filter out the blips (on either side) and look at the bulk of the poll averages.

So take polls as of today as being reasonably accurate UNLESS there is a big issue that comes up.

Last edited:

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Lol... The indoctrination on the right is amazing. If Trump wins, it will be an epic loss and unmitigated disaster for the Republican party.

How would Trump even debate Hilary? He doesn't have any mastery of US affairs and his school yard taunts are going to be hard to stomach when going up against a woman.
Trump will just interrupt her to show stance of dominance. It's worked so far. You may not like it but it's effective and gets his opponents rattled. She will be easy to rattle.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Clinton benefited from the internet. Duh

Don't bother, he actually thinks the good years in there were because of Bill. It's been repeated so much it's become Truth. It's like Righties who believed Reagan reigned in Gov spending.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Not hard to figure out. Put aside what you think is their stance on issues.

Democrats: Sanity, competence, knowledge.
Republicans: Grade school kids trying to out ignorant each other.