CNN falls to third place in prime time news

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
http://www.chron.com/disp/stor.../politics/6346592.html

Through Wednesday, Fox was averaging 2.73 million prime-time viewers in March. MSNBC had 1.16 million and CNN had 1.14 million. The March ratings period ends Friday, and it's doubtful CNN will be able to overcome MSNBC.

Quality news need not be shown apparently. Amusing that Olbermann and O'Reilly are on at the same time. Maybe they can switch channels for a day. :p

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
I think that this just goes to show that the more that you "appeal to the base" the more effective you can be at drawing in a loyal audience.

Those of us that are willing to listen to both sides of an issue and then decide which one makes more sense have no time to listen to those that will tell us only one side and can never admit to being on the wrong side.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
I would imagine that most of us here do not watch news on the TV or listen to it on the radio. I get nearly all of my news online (save for the odd chance that I watch the local NBC affiliate to see what is going on locally because their website sucks).

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
I would imagine that most of us here do not watch news on the TV or listen to it on the radio. I get nearly all of my news online (save for the odd chance that I watch the local NBC affiliate to see what is going on locally because their website sucks).

i do watch cnn around 1pm somedays because i have nothing better to do and quite often they are covering white house press briefings which i find interesting.

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Fox is the best. I hate watching propaganda filled "news". Say what ya want but Fox is the least biased. Granted that's not saying much.
Can't remember the last time I watched the crap on MSNBC. CNN lost it's appeal when it started adding commentaries instead on the news.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
CNN is my cable news channel of choice, but I haven't been watching much (re: any) cable news lately.

burn-out from the neverending election, maybe, there's just nothing going on that I feel especially compelled to keep up with beyond what I can get by reading online news articles.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
So I guess we can put an end to the endless shrieking about the so-called "Liberal MSM," right guys? Conservatives and Republicans have the most-watched cable news channel, 95% of the entire AM spectrum, approximately 1/2 of the big newspapers, and at least 1/2 of the blogosphere. Although, without the MSM to bash constantly, I have no idea what the GOP will have to talk about...

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Too bad they can't take a poll to show many viewers DON'T watch primetime cable news.

That would be me....and I am willing to wager alot more people don't watch primetime cable news than do.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: IamDavid
Fox is the best. I hate watching propaganda filled "news". Say what ya want but Fox is the least biased.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
We live in a primitive and backward country where Neanderthal thinking is still very common and where being an ignorant idiot is still very popular and praiseworthy. It isn't unusual to suppose that in a nation of emotionally backward chimps that a TV station that plays to the least common denominator, the lowest emotional sentiments, would be very popular.

I don't watch the news very much because I spend my time in the stone age playing WOW, but when I watch News, I rather enjoy Fox. I especially like O'Reilly because he's morally contemptuous of everybody as well he should be in a nation full of apes. Sometimes it's nice to just be an animal and lash out at everything. It's not easy remembering we have all been forgiven and not a single person anywhere is to blame. You don't blame people who sleep for twitching and you can't blame apes for being apes. But it is easier to remember that with the TV off.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
There is very strong evidence that ratings for 'opposition media' are higher than ratings for media that is aligned with the party in power.

Rush's best rating were during the Clinton years and after Bush took over his ratings went down. But now that Obama is in power his ratings are on the way up again.

CNN is essentially a victim of Obama's success. When Bush was in power all the libs watched CNN so they could hate on Bush. But now that Obama is in power and by definition alienating or at least disappointing his followers their ratings are going down. ie. everyone wants to hear about those you oppose failing, but it isn't so appealing when the person failing is the person you support.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
the only part of CNN that doesn't suck is CNN International. The CNN that is shown in the USA is just as bad as Fox

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Originally posted by: JSt0rm01
I like PBS and NPR. I don't have cable.

Same here. However, when I am somewhere that cable is available, C-SPAN is a good source of news as you can watch what is actually happening as it happens, without the extra layer of spin.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Fox is the best. I hate watching propaganda filled "news". Say what ya want but Fox is the least biased. Granted that's not saying much.
Can't remember the last time I watched the crap on MSNBC. CNN lost it's appeal when it started adding commentaries instead on the news.

I about spewed my coffee all over my laptop when reading this. MSNBC may be total crap as far as the propaganda in their editorial programs, but FOX really takes the cake. I would normally spout something about facts sometimes having a liberal bias, but I don't think that it does FOX justice. These guys would put Goebbels to shame.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Oh, one more thing: CNN, please do yourself a favor and dump Nancy Grace. That harpy has the exact same story day in and day out, and takes up a time slot where you guys could air a real, actual piece of investigative journalism. I've seen your network do a decent job of that on occasion, so go with that.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
This shouldn't surprise anyone. In fact, don't be surprised if conservative radio (e.g. Fatbaugh) sets new ratings records in the next 8 years as well.

Conservatives are struggling right now. They've lost all their power in Washington, and they're looking for answers more than ever. They'll be tuning in nightly to Faux Echo Chamber to get their daily dose of outrage at how the liberals are destroying our great nation :laugh:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
There is very strong evidence that ratings for 'opposition media' are higher than ratings for media that is aligned with the party in power.

Rush's best rating were during the Clinton years and after Bush took over his ratings went down. But now that Obama is in power his ratings are on the way up again.

CNN is essentially a victim of Obama's success. When Bush was in power all the libs watched CNN so they could hate on Bush. But now that Obama is in power and by definition alienating or at least disappointing his followers their ratings are going down. ie. everyone wants to hear about those you oppose failing, but it isn't so appealing when the person failing is the person you support.

I sincerely doubt that CNN is a victim of Obama as it's not liberally aligned in any way. (who the hell thinks CNN is liberal? Only the true crazies think that.) Also if that were the case, why would MSNBC's ratings be going way UP, when they clearly DO have a pro-Obama bias?

As the article clearly states, what is far more likely is that opinion/yelling/crap shows like O'Reilly and Olbermann are simply more popular than straight news shows, and as Fox and MSNBC shift more to these types of shows, their ratings improve. CNN's attempt to cling to a shred of journalistic integrity appears to be costing them in the ratings department.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: freegeeks
Originally posted by: loki8481
CNN international sucks, who gives a shit about soccer?

huh, sports is maybe 5% of what they broadcast

could be bad timing on my part... I don't get it on my current cable line-up, but the few times I've tuned into it at my parents house, it's only ever been soccer/football news.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
So I guess we can put an end to the endless shrieking about the so-called "Liberal MSM," right guys? Conservatives and Republicans have the most-watched cable news channel.

Yeah, one whole channel against all the others.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
So I guess we can put an end to the endless shrieking about the so-called "Liberal MSM," right guys? Conservatives and Republicans have the most-watched cable news channel.

Yeah, one whole channel against all the others.

Apparently, you missed the part where FNC has more viewers than MSNBC and CNN combined? Figures. Not to mention that there's now a channel that fits most everyone's partisan flavor: Fox on the right, CNN for the moderates and MSNBC for the left.

So basically, you've got Fox opposing MSNBC at opposite ends of the political spectrum and CNN holding the middle ground.

So uh, wait. What was your complaint again?

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Originally posted by: MovingTarget

I about spewed my coffee all over my laptop when reading this. MSNBC may be total crap as far as the propaganda in their editorial programs, but FOX really takes the cake. I would normally spout something about facts sometimes having a liberal bias, but I don't think that it does FOX justice. These guys would put Goebbels to shame.

Editorial programs? Isn't the whole channel editorial? That's the problem. I like to form my own opinions. Not have some jackass tell me his. Yes, I agree FOX has many of the same issues but at least the tell u up front about it.